Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

so, from what I have found so far on the market:

Yellow frankeporsche in Vic with no heater, 3.0 Carrera engine for 20

Yellow frankie in Qld with sus history on TV for 25

Red Slantnose in Vic for roughly 30

Red this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1978/SSE-AD-3053319/?Cr=16&sdmvc=1

for 36...

that is tuff as hell so far...

Been there done that once with VW Corrado 10 years ago.

keep vigilant mate. took me months to find mine. something may pop up.

Basically my list of "musts" looks like this:

Coupe

3.0 or 3.2 motor comparatively fresh

No rust

Ability to drive it daily (legal reasons aka RWC or so) without any major stuff like "this 915 has given up so u need a new one" or "the engine is so crooked, lets rebuilt it".

"Would be nice" list:

RHD

not a Slant Nose

In won`t be a daily car, but weekend or show car...

Am I too naive?

As someone who was in the market for 18+ months (including watching it climb, fast), you've got very little hope and you'll need to drop some criteria.   Most likely having a fresh motor and possibly a coupe, or going for a LHD.

You mainly need patience, though.  The longer you wait and the more frogs you kiss, the more likely you'll find a prince.

I don't see a bubble pop in the near future, but if you step outside the frenzy of 'gotta have an Oz delivered car' the market is a bit more serene.

what is wrong with this at 36k? assuming it's a good conversion

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1978/SSE-AD-3053319/?Cr=16&sdmvc=1

time to buy a targa or cabrio? i don't know if time is going to be your friend if you're waiting for the market to change though i could be eating my words in a few years

That has been on the market for quite a while.  Might be worth a look and an offer. I passed on looking because of the conversion.

keep vigilant mate. took me months to find mine. something may pop up.

cheers mate, must resist temptation buying a headache :)

As someone who was in the market for 18+ months (including watching it climb, fast), you've got very little hope and you'll need to drop some criteria.   Most likely having a fresh motor and possibly a coupe, or going for a LHD.

You mainly need patience, though.  The longer you wait and the more frogs you kiss, the more likely you'll find a prince.

I don't see a bubble pop in the near future, but if you step outside the frenzy of 'gotta have an Oz delivered car' the market is a bit more serene.

I`m fully ok with a LHD as I was driving it for 10 years while living in Europe :))

And hell no, I`m not into "Aussie delivered" so much. 

I think I`ll wait for my beauty :)

what is wrong with this at 36k? assuming it's a good conversion

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1978/SSE-AD-3053319/?Cr=16&sdmvc=1

time to buy a targa or cabrio? i don't know if time is going to be your friend if you're waiting for the market to change though i could be eating my words in a few years

The price is wrong... Especially when you can see 964 cabrio with roughly same price tag. I know - it`s a bit dodgy, but so far both of those cars are pretty unknown for me... Virtually 964 is better. Virtually.

when you consider a decent LHD>RHD conversion is $10-$15k I don't think it's that unreasonable (assuming it's a good conversion)

there's $36k 964 cabrios now?!?

Indeed

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/AGC-AD-16661326/?Cr=27&sdmvc=1

Already discussed erlier.

And one 3.2 86' coupe for a 37...

Indeed http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/AGC-AD-16661326/?Cr=27&sdmvc=1

Already discussed erlier.

And one 3.2 86' coupe for a 37...

Buying a 'cheap' 3.0 or 3.2 is one thing, buying a cheap 964 is a whole different prospect. It's difficult to compare the two because they are quite different cars, especially when it comes to mechanicals.

If you want an affordable convertible Porsche buy a Boxster IMO.

Happy to be corrected.

Seller says rego in VIC but rego plate begins with 1. WA plates begin with 1.

It's new style number plates. Since last year or so.

Buying a 'cheap' 3.0 or 3.2 is one thing, buying a cheap 964 is a whole different prospect. It's difficult to compare the two because they are quite different cars, especially when it comes to mechanicals.

If you want an affordable convertible Porsche buy a Boxster IMO.

No, no, I'm talking about psychology. For the same amount of money - newer car, so, kinda more preferable. I'm not going to buy a Boxster I love front headlights of 911 (and more). :)

It's new style number plates. Since last year or so.

No, no, I'm talking about psychology. For the same amount of money - newer car, so, kinda more preferable. I'm not going to buy a Boxster I love front headlights of 911 (and more). :)

If your research towards buying a 911 consists of posting cars in this thread and asking what's better or what are they worth then you need to be asking more intelligent questions, especially if you want better advice.

Surely, this must be the same 911 Turbo that sold only 3 weeks ago in Perth for $95k? ........ it had only 96k's on the clock, and this one has 101k's. It would be a few thousand k's from WA to VIC wouldn't it?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-930-1985/AGC-AD-16860067/?Cr=73&sdmvc=1

Surely, this must be the same 911 Turbo that sold only 3 weeks ago in Perth for $95k? ........ it had only 96k's on the clock, and this one has 101k's. It would be a few thousand k's from WA to VIC wouldn't it?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-930-1985/AGC-AD-16860067/?Cr=73&sdmvc=1

That's what I thought as well, Though this one is an 85 not an 82 and with a few noticeable engine mods like exhaust and cooler.

WOW! I didn't realise the one in Perth was an '82 ........

They obviously look identical and are both in remarkable condition ..... with the same k's .....

Could have sworn they were one and the same ..... thanks for clearing that up ...

really...  :blink:

what have you done Magnus? 

If your research towards buying a 911 consists of posting cars in this thread and asking what's better or what are they worth then you need to be asking more intelligent questions, especially if you want better advice.

In addition to hugh's comment above...

The best reality check is finding a car you think is ok, then getting a PPI done on it from a well respected shop. You soon see very quickly what you are in for.  The PPI then, helps you learn more about the cars and what things to look for.

Oh and for cheshire cat - you like 911 headlights - look at a 987 Boxster, the front end looks just like the 997 911 but then again, you seem like you want the iconic car but on a Boxster budget perhaps?? Don't knock it if you haven't at least driven one. Just an observation, not meant as a criticism.

The best reality check is finding a car you think is ok, then getting a PPI done on it from a well respected shop. You soon see very quickly what you are in for.  The PPI then, helps you learn more about the cars and what things to look for.

How many recently sold-within-a-couple-of-days 911s have had a PPI?

People don't care , they just want the unicorn!

Going by the past few weeks of sales, I think the PPI has almost become obselete and independant Porsche mechanics everywhere are wondering what the hell they're going to do now .....  :lol:

It's human evolution at its finest ..... PPI's are too expensive ....... what do we do about it? ?......people found a different way to do things ..... this way just happens to be "do nothing at all and just buy the car, hell don't even look at it ..... just buy it" .......

And they'll all be crying when they need to drop thousands of $ on repairs, repairs they may have been able to negotiate in the asking price! Or worse still, their new 911 has been in a massive smash and is 2 cars joined into one - ok maybe thats far fetched (but if no PPSR done maybe not!)

Me thinks cheshire cat isn't one of these buyers tho!

Edit - then again, I did the bloody PPI and still got caught out!  So I'll just shut up  :P

And they'll all be crying when they need to drop thousands of $ on repairs, repairs they may have been able to negotiate in the asking price! Or worse still, their new 911 has been in a massive smash and is 2 cars joined into one - ok maybe thats far fetched (but if no PPSR done maybe not!)

Or they'll buy the car, figure out something from the above, and put it back on the market ..... next buyer doesn't get a PPI or even look at the car cause he's in a different state, and the cycle continues for another generation of car buyers ......  :wacko:

If Amanda is reading currently, what about that turquoise 964 convertible for $36k?  

I think some people really need to have a good, long, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves if classic car ownership is really for them. 

I've not seen such pre-purchase hysteria with any other make! 

Wise words.  But is a 964 a classic or merely a used vehicle?  What about a 996 or first gen Boxster?

I get the discussions on forums though.  If you aren't surrounded by similarly enthusiastic people, buying a Porsche can be a somewhat lonely experience. Lots to discuss and if the spouse rolls the eyes and the kids have their noses in an iPad and everyone at work drives a Camry....that's what this place is for after all.

agreed dreamr, could be a nasty cycle.

i can't speak for all enthusiasts, but for me personally i have a long, long list of cars i'd like to own and am perfectly happy to work through them and wait for the next recession/bubble burst before considering buying a 911.

that said, it might be easier for me to say that because i already have my 911? lol