Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Surely for $315,000 he could have the original seats already reupholstered...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1969/SSE-AD-3843612/?Cr=4

I know the owner. It has been pulled from sale due to MANY international inquiries. Interested UK buyer arriving within a month I think. Seems the UK are looking for anything Porsche, and willing to pay a premium. Hmmmmm!

I know the owner. It has been pulled from sale due to MANY international inquiries. Interested UK buyer arriving within a month I think. Seems the UK are looking for anything Porsche, and willing to pay a premium. Hmmmmm!

time to flog he 912? 

"One better than a 911"

sure to get you a few pounds :) 

"Seems the UK are looking for anything Porsche, and willing to pay a premium"

Is that Porsche in general or anything in the context of Vintage / earlier model Porsche's

Is that Porsche in general or anything in the context of Vintage / earlier model Porsche's

Earlier cars. 

time to flog he 912? 

"One better than a 911"

sure to get you a few pounds :) 

Already had some UK inquiries. Everything has a price mate

massive interest in 996tt's.

Turns out that the uk cars all had 'maestro' engines made in Birmingham, rather than 'mezger' engines Germany intended. Anyway, huge scandal at the time but it means there are only 49 'real' RHD 996tt's left in the world and Australia had 28 of them (29 if you count Tasmania as part of Australia). 

Also unconfirmed reports that in the UK drought of 2001, water shortages lead to uneducated p-car owners of north wales using seawater to cool their engines. Most true 'mezger' engine cars smuggled in from Belgium, unfortunately didn't make it. 

toothless UK locals gathering in Bondi have been offering up to £100,000 ( roughly $376,000 OZ) for modified high km cars. Really good examples are going for a lot more, but prices cannot be confirmed as Gumtree will only allow the use of 'POA' in pricing.

Hope you've already picked one up mate? 

Edited by turboT

Turns out that the uk cars all had 'maestro' engines made in Birmingham, rather than 'megzer' engines Germany intended. Anyway, huge scandal at the time but it means there are only 49 'real' RHD 996tt's left in the world and Australia had 28 of them (29 if you count Tasmania as part of Australia). 

Also unconfirmed reports that in the UK drought of 2001, water shortages lead to uneducated p-car owners of north wales using seawater to cool their engines. Most true 'megzer' engine cars smuggled in from Belgium, unfortunately didn't make it. 

toothless UK locals gathering in Bondi have been offering up to £100,000 ( roughly $376,000 OZ) for modified high km cars. Really good examples are going for a lot more, but prices cannot be confirmed as Gumtree will only allow the use of 'POA' in pricing.

hey Turbo it's "mezger" ?

Its this blokes fault:

Hans Mezger

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hans-Mezger-img 20090425 69655.jpg

Hans Mezger (born 18 November 1929 in Besigheim, Swabia)[1] is a German automotive engineer well known for his work at Porsche.

Career[edit]

Mezger graduated from the Stuttgart Technical University in 1956 with a Diploma of Engineering degree,[2] and went straight to work at Porsche's[3] Works 1 development department. His first project was to work on the valve train of the Fuhrmann-designed Carrera engine. In 1959 he moved to the design department to work started on the type 804 flat-8 Formula 1 engine.

Over the next 35 years he took part in the 1960s F1 programme, undertook design leadership for the first Porsche 911 production engine and leader of the famed 1960s Race Design office that turned out the 917s. Mezger led Porsche's development of turbocharging with the 1100 hp 917/30 and its application to the 911 Turbo.

Mezger was responsible for the McLaren TAG turbo engine from the mid 1980s, used in the championship winning McLaren MP4/2.

He retired in 1994.

Turns out that the uk cars all had 'maestro' engines made in Birmingham, rather than 'megzer' engines Germany intended. Anyway, huge scandal at the time but it means there are only 49 'real' RHD 996tt's left in the world and Australia had 28 of them (29 if you count Tasmania as part of Australia). 

Also unconfirmed reports that in the UK drought of 2001, water shortages lead to uneducated p-car owners of north wales using seawater to cool their engines. Most true 'megzer' engine cars smuggled in from Belgium, unfortunately didn't make it. 

I haven't actually picked up one or driven one as of yet. Still kicking the can down the road at my pace and thinking Tazzieman's pretty wise in noting its generally  a "Buyers Market"(rarer/ classic marks excepted)  Based on my ledger,  only seeing signs of three examples disappearing off car sales in the last 14 weeks (one being the most expensive stock 996tt I have seen advertised on car sales and has form as being tagged as removed / sold  and reappearing with the same owner details, one in Tassie and a red one that appears to have been dumped, re-pumped and off loaded) 

In the spirit of the above post of "Massive Interest in 996tt's" and coupled with,  "Seems the UK are looking for anything Porsche, and willing to pay a premium", thanks for indirectly shedding some light on one of my previous posts enquiring where the most expensive 996tt stock coupe on Cars Sales  within 2 years (peaked at 147.5k) that has recently be flagged as sold MAY have ended up.  The Oz seller's air of confidence (spurred on some fans in this arena), was perhaps being fueled by the UK company behind the link below.  The OZ owner had been playing them off against potential local buyers like myself.  However, after giving up on the local market, perhaps the sale was locked in with this UK company.  However, I would suspect that a company audit found that the accountant (no longer works for the UK company)  suffered a case of dyslexic typing in their costing spreadsheet and transposed the GBP to AUD fx rate.  They adopted 4.02 instead of 2.04.  The resulting bottom line number in the spreadsheet showed a bit of margin before dealers premium after allowing for all costs inclusive of the agreed sales price in AUD and duties and shipping from OZ back to the UK,  compared to having to outlay GBP 50k per their add for similar exceptional local examples.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-turbo-996/looking-to-buy-exceptional-examples/4531448

What is also interesting is perhaps this UK premium call.   UK premium guestimate in this case  = circa AUD 39.5K  ( 147.5k (maximum advertised price) less 8k (argy bargy negotiation) less 100k (GBP50k pretty damn good local market price based on being the highest price I could see on uk's pistons heads for a stock 996tt x 2 (fx rate)).

Pretty jaw dropping as I see it, we would usually expect a deduct for a 996tt UK import of circa 10% here in Oz, but those POM's markup  a AUD delivered car by circa 40%

Perhaps that's why the audit report said  based on the purchase price of the AUD car, it would need to be sold at circa GBP 86k (139.5k/2 (oz purchase price) + circa 5k (shipping transport duties etc) x 1.15 (circa 15% dealers markup)).  The auditor , in front of the owner of the company,  said to the accountant WTF were you thinking.  I just jumped onto piston heads and the highest 996tt I can find is GBP 77k and its a f%^&*& collectors 996 turbo S.  You guys sold me a 996 turbo S and even they ain't worth 77k either.  Owner agreed what a cock up and fired the accountants arse on the spot. OZ setting sitting with the Mrs at their favourite holiday spot enjoying the spoils

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-turbo-996/stunning-viola-metallic-996-turbo-s-supplied-in-outsanding-condition-throughout-as-good-as-it-gets-with-12-300-miles-from-new/5221825

But, yes, I clearly got the message that I'm just the newbie and my reading of the market and valuations (based on actually pounding the pavement  (albeit remotely)) was a clanger of a first post.  An obvious groundswell of support letting the poor newbie know they are in LA LA land (996tt's are circa AUD 80k their based on usd fx rates) and out of touch with reality.  Just get you wallet out, who cars about 20k or 30k, and  go and buy those fine specimens that have never seen a track or entered an hill climbing event or have an eye popping Porsche servicing invoice receipt  for replacement of electrical wiring.(how much was replaced again)

Your post has also further shed light why I am not a believer that  Megzer motors are bullet  proof in absence of the fine print.  i.e  as long as you don't go silly on upping torque and given their age, probably wise to do service intervals much earlier and more frequently than what the service books say .  Perhaps I need to go back and get a refund on that PPI I had done for them  not finding and disclosuring on it, "MOTOR IS FAKE ITS GOT A "MAESTRO" MOTOR NOT a "MEGZER".  All I can say it caveat emptor in a world of princesses with an assortment of licorice allsorts owners on offer.  I'm glad I didn't skimp on that compression and leak down test 

FYI, pounding the pavement and kicking the can down the road involves running the ruler (including forensic google search's) over the example on offer as best I can without seeing it,( not jumping on princesses out their because they  look pretty or have a history not to my liking), getting a shortlist  down and working the shortlist.  That involves establishing what price I am willing to bear based on what is on offer, reading the seller and working them in absence of car not being already sold to where both myself and the owner are comfortable to proceed with the next step of me dropping some cash on a PPI.  You guys did spook me a little bit, well done.  I got a bit impatient and settled for something not my first choice, but with plan to boot, ticked a heck of a lot of boxes.  But I knew to fold the cards so to speak and run onto plan B

You have your opinions on what 996tt's are worth, but I will stick to mine given I have it on good authority (stolen from DJM ) if you get the process right in the current market and play your cards rights , working from a baseline of circa 100k for fair  stock plain jane AUD example, (purely coincidence that best example UK pricing  x 2, (fx) = circa 100k aud) , you can at least get a seat at the table to have a serious crack on the odd car available and not pay massive premiums  in terms of % over prices circa 10 to 12 months ago .  So in absence of actual sales,  I was and always have been in the camp opining  that these currently advertised prices (three months ago, three weeks ago and still today) for a 996tt got caught up in the world had gone mad scenario.

Cars will transact at prices based on what buyers and sellers are willing to bear.  My budget is set at a level where I see value.  What I can bear depends on whats on offer within that budget.   As the wise Tazzieman advised, with a wallet full of some cash, negotiate hard.  That can help increase the value proposition and perhaps get you into something you thought was out of your reach.   But I was doing that well before my first post  (lots of really was going in my mind as I eagerly watched  these posts come in with the famesuit on)  and well before Tazzieman's post offering that advice.

In the 996tt market, I not seeing it to differently than  Tazzieman, on the basis that if you had you rose coloured glasses on and  your initial reference point is advertised prices, its a looks to be a buyers market. For the examples that  interest  me, I am just seeing moderate premium increases to pre world has gone mad prices (i.e prices 10 to 12 months ago)

I forgot, I'm just the poor newbie with a 2 cent opinion with zero credibility given I haven't actually picked up the Porsche 996tt or even driven it.  I only posted my first post in response to seeing the words " 996tt prices occupying mid 100's" with nothing behind it.  So with no one taking an opposing view to that or calling it out so I can just hit the "like" button,  I thought that lacked credibility and I couldn't let it slide, and it warranted an opposing view in my humble opinion.  Yet in this fine institution that aspires to having a thirst and passion for seeking out and calling out the detail when it is absent, misleading or wrong  (996tt prices  ( more than one car) and occupying (present) 150k in absence of a time frame or examples, come again does that not need calling out.  Well that's how I read it and may have been out of context, and I may not of even battered an eye lid if said 996tt's heading to mid 100's).  When some detail is provided, it appears to be quickly dismissed like its coming from a two year old or scorned upon (albeit it was presented in a piss poor form with respect to post length , sentence length and structuring, spelling (where is the spell checker icon again)dyslexic typing, grammar , punctuation etc yes it was a quick brain dump,typed very quickly)  

So some more infotainment to ponder, decipher, pull apart and hang s$% on.  But all is good, I am enjoying the journey thus far

Edited by smit2100

Same Natalie that had the 993 for sale last year? The 964 had German flag stripes on the rear from memory?

Are you thinking of the people who had a 964 & a 993 in Brisbane. 993 was a shonkey car with wide body etc Hong Kong cars?

Odd to deal with.