PORSCHE 2.7 RS AND THE PURSUIT OF PURITY

Theres nothing Like a MFI Flat six. It sounds like big wild cats declaring their territory. 

The colour rocks.

Can't seem to find a category for 'Body parts>Kidneys>NWOT' on ebay though. 

How can I sell my Kidneys to get one of these.

• 4 months later...

Tough decision Hugh, and I'd be happy to afford either.

If I could I'd take the original RS but would love a drive in the 4.0.

That's the amazing thing, they are both so fantastic but in such different ways. Head says RS 4.0, heart says 73 RS - such a great example of the evolution.

Can't seem to find a category for 'Body parts>Kidneys>NWOT' on ebay though. 

How can I sell my Kidneys to get one of these.

Might have a buyer , though he's a stickler for originality and insists on a PPI. Have you maintained them religiously? Only put the good oil in? No mechanical overrevs? No salted foods roads? Have they ever been rebuilt , etc etc?

• 2 weeks later...

Team

To be honest I have been quite 3.2 Carrera turbo look / 930 turbo centric in my car hunting thinking and had dismissed the 70's cars. But thar Mexico blue RS clone has really got me thinking about a RS clone.

Interested in your experiences and views:

(1) 76 cars and 2.7 seem to get the wrap as a low water mark for 911's. I understand the 2.7 has head stud issues and is obviously down on ponys compared to the rapid evolution to the 230hp 3.2 only a couple of years later. Is this the wrong starting point for a clone?

(2) does anyone have any experience with the zag auto guys in sydney building clones on 3.2 Carrera bases?

(3) optically in the photos that Mexico blue car looks like a brilliant paint job over a tired base (looks like was not an engine out paint with orig body showing a bit of surface rust - albeit it is a 40 year old car so you have to accept that). What in particular would I need to watch out for on this car? Does anyone know it?

A few of the Canberra air-cooled guys have experience with Zag  - I'll see if I can coax one or two of them on to answer your Zag question...

I did talk with Zag a few months ago - the work isn't cheap.

Team

To be honest I have been quite 3.2 Carrera turbo look / 930 turbo centric in my car hunting thinking and had dismissed the 70's cars. But thar Mexico blue RS clone has really got me thinking about a RS clone.

Interested in your experiences and views:

(1) 76 cars and 2.7 seem to get the wrap as a low water mark for 911's. I understand the 2.7 has head stud issues and is obviously down on ponys compared to the rapid evolution to the 230hp 3.2 only a couple of years later. Is this the wrong starting point for a clone?

(2) does anyone have any experience with the zag auto guys in sydney building clones on 3.2 Carrera bases?

(3) optically in the photos that Mexico blue car looks like a brilliant paint job over a tired base (looks like was not an engine out paint with orig body showing a bit of surface rust - albeit it is a 40 year old car so you have to accept that). What in particular would I need to watch out for on this car? Does anyone know it?

I don't know the specifics of the Mexico blue car but I would say I have seen better 'replicas' on the market for similar money. There have been a few ex Zag ones floating about (viper green one in particular) that have sat on the market for some time listed at around the 60k mark. The Healey Factory had one here in Vic, they may know where it went or more importantly how much it sold for as it may be more cost effective picking one up up that someone has already spent the $$$ on and needs to move.

Archived