Stupid things people have said about your Porsche

Pauly

Whilst filling her up yesterday after a quick spin to blow some cobwebs out, had a local on a pushy holding a fresh pack of winnie blues ask a couple of questions

“you thinking of selling that mate, I’ve been looking for one?”

Nah mate haven’t had it that long

“is that a turbo?”

Nah it’s a standard Carrera

“so it a 3 litre V6 isnt it? Are they 12 inch rims”

Err it’s a 3.2 flat 6, those rims are the standard 7inch”

“what is that a 78 model?”

nah mate its an 87

“that looks like a turbo tail, do you know Insert name he has a 78 model turbo with 20 pounds of boost, he took me for a spin in the wet jeeeez did that thing move”

Yeh turbo’s are pretty fast

“have you run anyone in it? What would it do down the quarter..12’s?”

Nah its not that fast, plus I would probably stuff up the launch, an standard SS Commodore would probably blow my doors off

Then he proceeded to tell me about a one owner low kay Sylvia he just purchased which he is restoring and he will garage it and wait until the prices skyrocket. That was my first serious servo chat very interesting indeed.

While reading this post the "Duelling Banjo's' scene from the movie Deliverance kept coming into my head :P

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While reading this post the "Duelling Banjo's' scene from the movie Deliverance kept coming into my head :P

You'd need to go further south than Melburg for banjos. I think Stardust is still hearing banjos in his nightmares after his little trip around our southern island.

Haha. At the end of the museum gathering last weekend a wedding party turned up. A party of southern European origin.

Of course some of the guys were eagerly compelled by the wedding party to exit the carpark sans traction... :P

people seem to get genuinely annoyed when I don't bite at the "nice VW mate" remarks. I usually say "thanks!".  Considering how many VW's I have owned over the years it really isn't an effective barb.

To me it's just proof of ignorance. 

Got a great car comment followed by *bag em up*. I just cruised off as trying to explain that a Porsche is about traction not breaking it, seemed futile

I got one of them too!  few years back. This VL Turbo flew past me and some guy in a VW golf GTI. He looked at me, smiled and said "bag 'em"

At the RACV classic on sunday.. I over heard this guy talking to his mate. Pointed to my car " oh you can pick these up cheap, only a few grand <_< " Then points to Nikos 986s "oh these go for a premium, about 100k+"

At the RACV classic on sunday.. I over heard this guy talking to his mate. Pointed to my car " oh you can pick these up cheap, only a few grand <_< " Then points to Nikos 986s "oh these go for a premium, about 100k+"

I like the guy! :wub:      

He could have walked down a couple of more cars and given Amanda 80 or 90 k for her car then' and got a bargain. :P

I pulled up last year at a servo in my 82 944 and the guy at the counter said nice Porsche, is that new? and i said no, it's 1982... , he's response 'Ah! Classic!' Have you owned that since new? (I was 26 years old at the time.....) i just looked him and didnt say a word, and then he got why i was looking at him like i was and said 'Oh, wait, nevermind'.

Another time i was standing by my car (At the time a 1980 928) and i was informed by someone that clearly knew a lot about Porsches that my car wasnt a real porsche and it has an Audi van motor in it........ (I would love to see that, V8 Audi Van)

I gets tons of stupid comments, a lot by people that think they know about porsches, and a lot of the comments that have already been mentioned here.

I gets tons of stupid comments, a lot by people that think they know about porsches, and a lot of the comments that have already been mentioned here.

Not so much about Porsches but I think the stupidest comments I've heard about cars were from people who really should know better...car salesmen.

This thread has been going for a while and each time I see the heading wanted i go back to the Ferrari driver who had a go at a fellow forum member in his 944 on a SMT while filing petrol ... And the quick thinking member who reached out to the fire extinguisher by the bluster and lobbed it at him saying "I think you may be needing this" before he lost his sh&t ssying more stupid things about Porsches.

Classic!

There's a bloke at the company I contract to who says, at least 3 times a week, "did you bring your volksvagen today". I know he's just taking the piest, but it does get a bit tiring after a while

• 2 weeks later...

Had all the usual ones whilst driving the Carrera "Is it a Turbo?"  "I thought all Porsches were Turbos"  

But the best was driving the GT3 a few weeks ago and when stopped at the lights a guy in a Alfa of all cars shouts across at me "Has it caught fire yet?" I shouted back "Nah mate it's a bullet proof Mezger"  He just stares at me with a blank look on his face like I've just spoken in Swahili !!

I suppose I have to give him credit for being up on current events.

Had all the usual ones whilst driving the Carrera "Is it a Turbo?"  "I thought all Porsches were Turbos"  

But the best was driving the GT3 a few weeks ago and when stopped at the lights a guy in a Alfa of all cars shouts across at me "Has it caught fire yet?" I shouted back "Nah mate it's a bullet proof Mezger"  He just stares at me with a blank look on his face like I've just spoken in Swahili !!

I suppose I have to give him credit for being up on current events.

On another note, nice plates!!!

Cheers,

And on that note too, most people look at the plates and say "What does No piddick mean?"

Sigh !!

LOL!!

There's a guy with a supercharged e92 M3 with DSGOFF in Melb. owns a turning company. not many will get it haha

Was just out in the Porsche and I was filling it with fuel and a guy came up to me saying these are the V8 ones yeah? And I said yeah and he said oh it has back seats and I said yeah but you can only really fit small kids in there, and he said nah they only make small back seats in Porsche because they know all the Porsche drivers get the small girls, no need to put the fat ones in the back. I thought that was pretty funny.

• 2 months later...

The cost of car ownership came up in conversation with SWMBO today. "The money you've spent on cars over the years is NOT an investment." To which I replied "it's an investment in my sanity and quality of life!"

I win the argument as she's still laughing.

Archived