What is your hobby?

Guest Harold

Well I am the chief instructor of a style of Karate and that takes up oodles of time. My favourite thing, next to my family, is my motor bike, then the stupidly expensive boat.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RC Helicopters are like sudoku for me. The mechanical side I find very interesting and the physics of flying a 3D heli requires you to think about so many things at once very quickly it really stretches your brain. Not to mention flying a heli upside down close to the ground equals a repair bill when your dumb thumbs get it wrong. 

Rule: always fly 3 mistakes above the ground

Rule: always fly 3 mistakes above the ground

Unfortunately you can make 3 mistakes in the time it takes your brain to work out you made the first one. Anyway how else do you cut the grass?

Align_Trex_250_RC_Helicopter_flying_inve

Oh I'm also a G level in Krav Maga but that's not a hobby lol.

We've got some very interesting stuff here, i must admit!!

Interesting question, which I'm not certain how to answer.

I really need to get a life!!!

That's a lie mate, I'd love to hear about that stamp collection of yours :P

Just kidding, haha. 

Designing and building electronics and software projects - mostly for my own amusement. Most interesting has been a little system I designed (using Arduino, RaspberryPi, python, C, Zigbee/Xbee) that tracks the International Space Station and tells me (via LCD display and blinky LEDs) when it's visible and overhead so I can pop outside an stare up in wonder as it whizzes overhead.

Sat-Notifier-Done.jpg

Lol satellite tracking 993 driver lol. Ohhh hence your username? Pretty kool.

im a glutton for punishment and referee senior soccer games on weekends, best part is the 3k cheque in September this year it will fund an upgrade to the 986, IMS or exhaust not sure which yet

this is my spare room (well part of it - the other side looks very similar but with more trains and I think some of those boxes are sitting on carriages too)

WP_20130707_005.jpg

WP_20130704_002.jpg

this is my spare room (well part of it - the other side looks very similar but with more trains and I think some of those boxes are sitting on carriages too)

Nice! You'd like the under-house area of my neighbour. He passed away a little while back but I'd been over to check it out a few times. He had most of the area underneath his house covered in tracks and stations - all with landscaping, little towns etc etc. It was the largest train setup I'd ever seen.

Guest Harold

Unfortunately you can make 3 mistakes in the time it takes your brain to work out you made the first one. Anyway how else do you cut the grass?

Align_Trex_250_RC_Helicopter_flying_inve

Carl Halley who is the head instructor is a good friend of mine.

Wow….Big Boy !!

Saw a 5" gauge live steamer of this, it was still huge and sounded great.

It's still big even in HO scale. At last count I had 50 locomotives and a few hundred carriages lol. It's not a hobby you dabble in! I've got a DDA40X as well which is worth seeing if you've never seen one before, it's the diesel equivalent of a big boy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_DDA40X

These days it is definitely my Porsche, I have been slowly getting it cleaned in my spare time to how I would like it, engine bay and underbody etc, and I get out in it as much as I can. I am seriously thinking about turning it into my daily driver but where I work is a seriously dirty area.

We have renovated the first three houses we have bought and are now on our fourth and planning on reno's to this house now, also weighing up the pro's and cons of making my garage two storey and installing a hoist.

Triathlons and cycle racing also took up about 16 yrs of my life at one stage, just mountain biking now.

Collecting horse drawn vehicles and restoring them. I have a vehicle called a Spider Phaeton made in Calcutta India circa1918 it was the 911 of vehicles 100 years ago, light weight driven by gentlemen "sorry ladies dont mean to be sexist but thats how it was  back then" and room for a groom at the back. Single horse power model!

Carl Halley who is the head instructor is a good friend of mine.

Carl is Tactical krav Maga. I'm KMG/IKMF the head instructor is Eyal in Israel. Very different animals. Although I must say I'm more than a little disillusioned of late. Since we have moved to KMG from IKMF I've been smelling more than a little McDojo in the source. 

We still see a direct line of new stuff from the IDF S/F guys but in an effort to grow they have relaxed the instructor quals. You used to have to be at least a G1 (aka Black belt) now if you want to pay the money and are a practitioner level 3 you can sit for the 4 week training/test. 

/rant.

Wow Martin. Did a number of years of Judo when younger, a little Freestyle and Muay Thai...........but Krav is totally off the dial!!!!

I reckon that is fantastic.

Yeah it's bit of a thing Theo and why I don't really call it a hobby. I've been lucky enough to meet some people who I now call close mates and have been fortunate enough to train with some of the hardest guys in the world. LOL Being punched in face whilst full contact sparing by a serving member of Mossad has it's own unique badge of honer. 

Archived