Feeling Platinum

Coastr

Well after something like 18 months of tyre kicking I took the plunge and bought myself a Porsche.

It's a 1981 Platinum Metallic 911 SC.  Many will spot that it is a US import, LHD and as delivered in California 33 years ago.  I'm now the 4th owner and it has just over 90,000 miles.  It's completely stock and original down to the 'unleaded fuel only' sticker next to the filler.

14732146426_f391859ff7.jpg

After going around in circles many times I decided on a clean, documented, completely original car was what I wanted.  I was OK with an import as long it was documented and from a dry climate.  I also tried to go down the 'sight unseen' buying path but I could never pull the trigger.  This one came up not far from where I live and the owner was good to deal with.  So there you are. I always wanted a red 3.2 with a wing and a black interior.  I got none of those things.  Life is like that.

Today I took it for my first Sunday morning drive and finally found a groove with the car.  The AC is pretty ordinary and it drips a bit of oil.  Smells like an old car inside :)  There's a few minor things to get right and probably one day I'll put in some H4s and lose the massive overriders on the back.  Or maybe not.  Right now I'm just going to drive it and get good at 915 shifting.

810 posts?  I actually hadn't noticed that :-0. Good thing this forum is a tolerant lot, allowing a perennial tyre kicker to hang about and post about anything but owning Porsches.  But I have learnt so much just from reading, reading and reading.  I can now tell a SC from a C3 and an import from a US car from a ROW car at 50 paces.

To be honest - buying a Porsche for me was more stressful than buying a property worth 20 times as much. I don't know why - it's a completely irrational thing.  I must have looked at hundreds online and probably 15 or 20 in person.  They say when one speaks to you, that is the one.  I didn't talk to anyone else apart from the SO about it, so there has been a lot of dropped jaws when I drive past in an old LHD Porsche and wave to the neighbours or drop in on friends.

At first I didn't like the colour, but everything else was right and only one car I've ever bought has been the colour I wanted.  But everyone who has seen it likes it, it's very period and changes a lot in the light.  It needs to be clean to get the best from it though.  And I just can't get enough of that air-cooled clatter.  The great thing about an LHD is that the exhaust exits on the same side as your ear, so with the window down guardrails give a great audio echo.

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably need support when the first big bill comes in!

I tossed up appearing at the SMT this morning but it was going to be a very long drive and if I'm honest I need to build up trust in the car.  I might be a starter for Cars and Coffee though.

Congratulations. Nothing quite like your first 911. I agree with the comments above. Stay away from PP or your posting will multiply by a factor of ten, to say nothing of the "while youre in there" syndrome that attacks your wallet. Nice colour.

The platinum "zinnmetallic" is a great shade (so says he with a platinum 924)

Your is not far off being a Weissach edition sc , in some respects. I do like the platinum Fuchs .

There was a nice weissac edition for sal in California. I do love the interior on them. On the wish list would be aw weissac rear wing. I prefer my Fuchs black centered though!

Archived