Martin Place

Guest Harold

Well, i had to go to the city this morning to change a shirt my wife had bought me. I was meandering along through Martin Place when all of a sudden Police cars started arriving by the dozens, all with blaring sirens and at high speed. I caught a taxi and returned to work to find out some alleged terrorists are holding about 20 people hostage in the Lindt cafe. My thoughts go out to those people and i hope they all get away safely.

If the reports turn out to be true then I think we should all be outraged that this crap has been brought to our country.

I've been watching live street at work on channel 9. one suspect with a gun. holding a female for a shield.. 

They've had some clear shots of him. Do you call in the snipers or take him alive for "questioning"?

Latest report is 50 hostages. Unconfirmed report of a second gunman and devices planted around the city. A good portion of the city has been evacuated but we're sitting tight for now (near town hall). A seemingly unrelated guy with a handgun arrested in the area. 

Disruptions to public transport and road closures. Will be walking home this arvo.

the media coverage of this is inevitable as it is detrimental.. exactly what they are after.

exactly what I was just talking to a colleague about. What if the collective media agreed on not broadcasting this sort of thing...sure they'd sell fewer papers but coverage is what these clowns are after. 

I just don't get the thinking with this - the guy has a 100% chance of either ending up dead or injured and behind bars for a very long time.  And what will he have achieved?  Zero.  Used to be that hostage takers had demands.  Now it just seems to be 'get my face on TV'.

Strange world we live in sometimes. 

The least the media could do would be to forever suppress the guys name. So while his deed might be famous, he himself never would be.  This one change would take all the leverage out of doing this.

They've had some clear shots of him. Do you call in the snipers or take him alive for "questioning"?

Latest report is 50 hostages. Unconfirmed report of a second gunman and devices planted around the city. A good portion of the city has been evacuated but we're sitting tight for now (near town hall). A seemingly unrelated guy with a handgun arrested in the area. 

Disruptions to public transport and road closures. Will be walking home this arvo.

exactly what I was just talking to a colleague about. What if the collective media agreed on not broadcasting this sort of thing...sure they'd sell fewer papers but coverage is what these clowns are after. 

If it was in my hands. sniper. disable him. while shot is fired, he'll be in shock, Feds can run inside and secure the suspect and disarm him. 

all bullshit aside... innocent Australians are at risk, and that is what bothers me the most. I'm sure we all agree that we don't want this crap on our home soil. 

No one want's this on our own soil. If they don't like our country. GTFO. 

I read an article recently how the cops uncovered a plot to behead a person in Martin Place.

I truly hope this doesnt happen.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come, where we have police armed with machine guns patrolling the streets like we see in other cities around the world, our country has managed to get through this terrorism thing pretty much unscathed so far.

And what will he have achieved?  

1. A guaranteed place in heaven

2. Sustained worldwide attention to the "cause" , at a symbolic time of year when consumerism is in full swing

The aftershocks will be longlasting I'm afraid. Most things take 5-10 years to filter down to Australia. 

A media blanket would have been ideal , but not feasible. Live TV coverage is IMO just feeding the beast.

I truly hope it ends peacefully.

Regardless of what the motivation is for this nutcase, a bullet to the head is the only solution.

I dont want to pay for his board and lodgings in a maximum security cell!

He is a terrorist creating terror on our soil, and should be dealt with accordingly. BLAMMO! goodnight

Edit. So sad for the victims. Excellent result for this nutjob dying in a hail of bullets

HOW & WHY !?!?!

This nutjob should never been allowed to breath our air after his letters to our defence families in the first place.

How many chances do we give these people before something like this has to happen....

Great job.by police but devastating for those young families and hostages who have to live with this for the rest of their (& our) lives!

A plane fare would have been better than giving this grub bail. (IMO)....

Such a sad ending to a bad situation, why oh why do people come to this country and have such radical views? Why come here then?

To be a refugee and get taken in only to act like this? Including all the bullshit that he did in the past.

Sigh.

Having being involved in the aftermath of the Port Arthur massacre , it seems unfortunately seemingly random attacks will occur every now & again  - but whether mad people are wired a certain way at birth or moulded by life's events is one for the psychologists and internet speculators.

Such a sad ending to a bad situation, why oh why do people come to this country and have such radical views? Why come here then?

To be a refugee and get taken in only to act like this? Including all the bullshit that he did in the past.

Sigh.

Exaclty. Move to a country to make a better life for yourself and bring all your shit with you. GTFO

Regardless of what the motivation is for this nutcase, a bullet to the head is the only solution.

True but easy to say in hindsight. The police would want to find out who he is working with, what else he has planned, his motivation etc

Very sad for everone involved

Shocking news for people's families who wake today to find out their loved ones have paid the price for political and judicial non action. No surprise to find the perp has a page-long history and was still free as a bird. I find it amazing that bikies have been criminalised for even riding together but violent and radicalised nuts like this guy are walking the streets - even after he set his wife on fire.

I too despair at the importation of trash from hellholes, who are then given every chance in the world to offend, reoffend and use the open society we have to their own hateful ideology and agenda.

Sadly this won't be the last event of this type.

I find it amazing that bikies have been criminalised for even riding together but violent and radicalised nuts like this guy are walking the streets - even after he set his wife on fire.

Unfortunately religious groups have contrived to make it impossible to disagree with them, critically, without being “offensive”. They play the discrimination card at every opportunity so we've ended up with one set of rules for religions and another for everyone else. 

Why do I feel that we are more serious about chasing speeders and "hoons" then in putting away murderers and rapists?

Oh you are a hoon, throw the book at him.

Oh you are a murderer and rapist... poor you, you must be misunderstood, let us help you.

Is it just me? or does it seem a bit wrong?

Archived