Looking to get into a 911

rminc

There is a lot more angst in the deciding than there is in the driving.

This! I've got a 76 2.7 … the most reviled of all the Porsche engines. I've had the opportunity to drive (on a regular basis) a bunch of 944s; an '85 3.2; and an '88 3.2. Enjoyed driving them all. But I like mine the best, because it's mine.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let me throw this into the mix. NZ might be a source for cheaper 911's. They haven't had the jump in value OZ has, yet original NZ delivered are RHD and they don't use salt on the rd (so potentially rust is not the issue it is in the UK). I was looking at the bargain 930 on the site (remember these are NZ dollars). Pre 1989 you can import (you can't get the 993 unfortunately :)). Anyway, might be another market to search in..

http://www.rsconsulting.co.nz/

Ha I posted a link to an Aus-delivered R32 GTR in one of the other 'for sale' threads.  A good choice for a classic purchase - probably just at the point where it's turning from the old, unloved, slowest GTR into the one to have for the long run.  Add in bathurst winning cred, extremely limited Australian deliveries and cult-status and it's a slam dunk classic to own. Definitely one for the 'desert island garage'.  My other choice would be an E30 M3, but they're not quite old enough to have in original LHD yet.

A GTR is a completely different experience from owning a 911 though.  I've always found the GTR crowd to be overpopulated with hat-backwards modifiers, which isn't my scene at all.  I went to a couple of Porsche club meets and similar just to check out the crowd, and found I could relate to most (as long as I was going to be an original car LOL)

Plus, you would get tired of explaining to everyone 'but it's a special Nissan'.  With an old 911, you just say 'i have an old Porsche' and people understand you're one of *those* people, no explanation necessary.

A GTR is a completely different experience from owning a 911 though.  I've always found the GTR crowd to be overpopulated with hat-backwards modifiers, which isn't my scene at all.  I went to a couple of Porsche club meets and similar just to check out the crowd, and found I could relate to most .

Bet you wouldn't dare wear the Porschetm cap backwards , dude  :)

Who would be best to perform PPI in SA?

Can't say from first hand but the names that seem to get thrown about are David Light & Mark Poole 

There is definitely more, they just escape my memory right now. 

Jump on it - even subject to PPI whilst you sort one out.  "wont find a  more original Aust del Porsche????"

Yeah no kidding.. jump on it, I would be VERY surprised if its even still available despite being just listed... you need to be on the phone right now  :blink: 

SC Owners,

You know you are all starting to sound like 928 owners! :ph34r:

Do you mean we're starting to sound like people who bought the first model 3 litre Nissan patrols?

Oh, they fixed that before I bought mine.

Anyone know why this hasn't sold? Looks reasonably priced I guess considering 3.2 prices of late.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-3183620/?Cr=2

It's on the high side of valuations and the maroon/maroon isn't everyones cup of tea.  

Bummer on that white one, that looked a pretty good buy.

You'll learn that you need to ring them as soon as it comes on the market and you find it.  Especially Aus delivered ones as people scramble to get those.  

Look at it this way - the guy probably got 5 calls on the first day.  You could buy it, keep it for a month, decide it's no good and then sell it the same day you decided to sell it.

It's crazy but that's the way the market is at the moment.  It won't last like that.

Archived