The Wine Thread

My wife's sister's husband always brings out these old red wine vintages at special occasions. Problem is that they haven't been cellared properly, and they are run of the mill wines to begin with. Generally they end up tasting like shit (metaphorically speaking - I've not actually tasted it).

I normally just drink it with a smile, but Christmas day I decided enough is enough. I said "mate, most of these old wines you have are undrinkable and need to be tipped down the sink. This one is particularly woeful". I hope I hurt his feelings enough to stop him bringing out rubbish wines.

My wife's sister's husband always brings out these old red wine vintages at special occasions. Problem is that they haven't been cellared properly, and they are run of the mill wines to begin with. Generally they end up tasting like shit (metaphorically speaking - I've not actually tasted it).

I normally just drink it with a smile, but Christmas day I decided enough is enough. I said "mate, most of these old wines you have are undrinkable and need to be tipped down the sink. This one is particularly woeful". I hope I hurt his feelings enough to stop him bringing out rubbish wines.

Good on you, telling him what he needs to hear and not what he wants, I will wait till next near and see what you post :lol: I've bookmarked the calendar ... we are a little OCD in this house as to how wine should be bought, stored, served and drunk.

I'd rather not drink if I am not going to enjoy it, I can't understand people who drink to get drunk and not necessarily care about what they drink? I drink what I enjoy and just happen to end up drunk... :D 

I'd rather not drink if I am not going to enjoy it,

I'm the same.  I had a taste and spat it out.  Had a couple of beers during the day instead.

I'm currently drinking a 2010 Brand's Laira 2010 Cab Merlot which is pretty nice.  It's a pretty nice wine.  Not sure what it cost.  It was a gift a few years ago. I also have a 2014 Nepenthe Sav Blanc that my daughter opened the other day because she needed some for a recipe. It has a really pronounced passionfruit aroma and a typical sav blanc citrus tang to it.

I'm now going to fire up my Weber Q and cook my 650 gram prime rib on the bone. smiley-eatdrink061.gif

hahaha...love it. You have some big balls, but what the hell...some times you have to be cruel to be kind

hahaha...love it. You have some big balls, but what the hell...some times you have to be cruel to be kind

There was no kindness involved.

The BIN 389 is a cracking wine.  The baby Grange.  Matured in last year's Grange oaks.  One of the better vintages for Southeast & Southern Vales grapes.  Barossa suffered a bit that year.

Grenache tragic here, you get my vote. ^^

I've been through a few of these lately, I have got to say its one of the best drinking Shiraz I've found for the price point (just over $20) excellent tannin structure.

IMG_8844_zpsyidumerb.jpg

And then there is this bad boy also from Grant Burge, it is in my opinion one of the best Shiraz you will ever drink in your life for the $$ 

IMG_7988_zpsjdosssdj.jpg

Grenache tragic here, you get my vote. ^^

I've been through a few of these lately, I have got to say its one of the best drinking Shiraz I've found for the price point (just over $20) excellent tannin structure.

IMG_8844_zpsyidumerb.jpg

And then there is this bad boy also from Grant Burge, it is in my opinion one of the best Shiraz you will ever drink in your life for the $$ 

IMG_7988_zpsjdosssdj.jpg

Good to know, as I was given quite a few various bottles of Grant Burge reds recently. Infact, I might crack one right now!

Caution, politically incorrect content at the end. 

Sounds like Incontinentia Buttocks when you put it that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRfKw

Which leads me to the point that before it was called shiraz , the Romans were growing it - and it was called allobrogica.

Take that into your hipster beard :D

Sounds like Incontinentia Buttocks when you put it that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRfKw

Which leads me to the point that before it was called shiraz , the Romans were growing it - and it was called allobrogica.

Take that into your hipster beard :D

I noticed of late that quite a few winemakers are calling shiraz syrah again. 

Now I am NO wine critic, and have next to no idea about which shiraz is supposed to be good and whats shite, yet I cracked this one below to keep me entertained as I learn some songs last night.

Fruity yet slightly 'wooden' on the nose. Similar on the palate, with no 'bottom of a cocky's cage' after taste. Its very smooth, akin to a dark aubergine coloured honey thats been warmed up in the microwave, then left for room temperature

Not really a fan of twist top wine bottles, as I used to make champagne for Hardys many years ago in the old French tradition of turning the bottles, but its what is in it that really counts. 

Average punters score 9/10. Its bloody brilliant!  Doing some long overdue small jobs around home with some Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and some Pearl Jam cranked, and Mr Burge's creation nearby. Its a good day!

20160116_121934.jpg