The Wine Thread

Ah Tipsy you're a braver man than me!

Apart from anything , it's not my bottle to open!

Is a '78 different from a '79?

As with Porsches , I'd have to drive both for comparison :lol:

Tas name the day and we can line them up for a comparison to ensure they are matching numbers Aussie delivered :P

I treat wine no matter its age or price as something to be drunk and appreciated (usually with friends) not like having a long hood in the garage and just sit looking at it but never driving it.

I was at a charity auction one night and the guy on a table bid and won 6 Grange. As he was all about just giving the money to charity not things, he asked the waiter to open them and get fresh glasses for his table.  Even sent one of the bottles across to the under bidders table. Class and unfortunately for me I wasn't on either table. <_<

Unfortunately most people do it all wrong and start with the average stuff then get the really good stuff out after they have had a couple too many, you know what I mean  "if you thought that waaaaas good u need to try this, hic, been shavin it for a shhpecial occashion, hic" :o

I was at a charity auction one night and the guy on a table bid and won 6 Grange. As he was all about just giving the money to charity not things, he asked the waiter to open them and get fresh glasses for his table.  Even sent one of the bottles across to the under bidders table. Class and unfortunately for me I wasn't on either table. <_<

"It's not arrogant if you're good."

Schadenfreude is the correct emotion under these circumstances.

Cheers! :biggulp:

• 1 year later...
On 14/02/2019 at 07:57, JV911 said:

Paired nicely with d'Affinois and Roquefort

OK I confess I had to google d'Affinois.
It's cheese fellas! I'll have to seek it out on my French canal boat trip in September :P If they don't serve it on the Mt Blanc circuit trek.

46 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

No worries , all good. Just picked up a flagon on the way home. Cooking wine is what the soccer moms call it.
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_73325/mcwilliam-s-royal-reserve-dry-sherry-2l?istCompanyId=72e03290-5965-42f7-8bb8-9cb18ec759c2&amp;istItemId=xlwmwqmatr&amp;istBid=tztx&amp;e_cid=ps:ds:GOOGLE:Veuve+Cliquot&amp;ds_keywords=ds_kw:PRODUCT_GROUP&amp;gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhvqyn5nC4AIV1bWWCh3SkQa2EAYYASABEgKfEvD_BwE&amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

15 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

When I very first started work as a beancounter some 40 years ago, one of my first jobs was to help with a monthly stock take at a pub that, one could say, had a lower socio-economic clientele.  Amazing the number of Royal Reserve bottles of various kinds they used to have in stock - sherry, port and several others.  I'm amazed to see that the Royal Reserve label is still going 🙂 

(And that client is still a client, definitely my longest continuous client, although semi retired now....)

3 hours ago, OZ930 said:

No different to the use of "Champagne" and "tokay". Word is the Italians are trying to reclaim prosecco too, which is what most Australian bubbly producers switched to when the Frogs reclaimed Champagne.

2 hours ago, tazzieman said:

OK I confess I had to google d'Affinois.
It's cheese fellas!

Not just cheese, the best damn brie you'll ever have 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...