The Wine Thread

Cracked open a durif which we picked up in Rutherglen a few years ago. Have never had a durif before but it was bloody good!

I noticed of late that quite a few winemakers are calling shiraz syrah again. 

excuse me while I :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I also have a sleeper waiting to be opened, bottle didn't have a date on it, provided the barcode to the supplier and confirmed 1987.

Here's hoping it doesn't taste like vinegar :o

Z9wofRpr.jpg

Edited by Stepo

Thanks KGB :(, I knew I should've bought the 86 or 88 version :blink:.  My luck I got stuck with the 87 lemon.

Will open her up making sure I have a backup on hand.

No. Keep it , it becomes collectable if not already. They're not making that vintage any more. Someone will be after the entire year by year collection one day.

Emptied , it's just an old bottle,  worth 5c in SA only.

No. Keep it , it becomes collectable if not already. They're not making that vintage any more. Someone will be after the entire year by year collection one day.

Emptied , it's just an old bottle,  worth 5c in SA only.

10c now, though I think we can't claim wine bottles ☹

That's it.......I'm keeping it now (thanks Tazzie).......although I am tempted to bust it open and debunk the experts, could be a cracker :P

The mystery is worth preserving...as the reality will surely destroy the dream.  Plus nice patina...

"I've" got a bottle of '78 Lindeman's port which was gifted to my first born (who doesn't drink).No doubt it's useless for anything other than emergency rations or powering the old Landy , but I think we'll keep it intacta. You just never know what these things might be worth "one day".

The various collector markets have proven this.

"If only I'd hung onto..." famous words of regret.

And the worst thing about opening a very expensive bottle of anything is having to share it. If you don't , no one will know how sensational (or crap) it was!

And the second worst thing is drinking something very expensive when you've already been numbed by pre dinner drinks. 

Port, if properly stored, can be kept many years due to it's alcohol content. Above about 18% oxidisation is limited.  It could actually be a cracker!     On the other hand it could be worth $39.95...?F

Edited by KGB

"I've" got a bottle of '78 Lindeman's port which was gifted to my first born (who doesn't drink).No doubt it's useless for anything other than emergency rations or powering the old Landy , but I think we'll keep it intacta. You just never know what these things might be worth "one day".

The various collector markets have proven this.

"If only I'd hung onto..." famous words of regret.

And the worst thing about opening a very expensive bottle of anything is having to share it. If you don't , no one will know how sensational (or crap) it was!

And the second worst thing is drinking something very expensive when you've already been numbed by pre dinner drinks. 

I have its younger brother a bottle of Lindermans 1979 Vintage Port that's been lurking in the back of the cupboard since I picked it up at cellar door in th early 80's.   Been having the same thought will it be a cracker or just vinigar.   Port and sherry appears to be back in fashion these days.  I have  been offered it at a number of Newtown wine bars and restaraunts lately plus at a McLaren Vale winery last week (a client) to help me with my sniffles :o.  So I'm tempted to see its condition the next time we have guests <_<

Edited by Tips

I have  been offered it at a number of Newtown wine bars and restaraunts lately plus at a McLaren Vale winery last week (a client) to help me with my sniffles :o.  So I'm tempted to see its condition the next time we have guests <_<

Ah Tipsy you're a braver man than me!

Apart from anything , it's not my bottle to open!

Is a '78 different from a '79?

As with Porsches , I'd have to drive both for comparison :lol: