356 Shell - Starter input -

symsy

Maybe a crazy moment , maybe not

Having now become totally bored with the 911 market in the past few month , im thinking I should just build something I really want as really I was choosing a 911 as a cheap starter ..which really isnt any longer the case.  

So I figure  , I have a great engineer and trusted classic restorer aka master mechano man , what the general view of converting 356's left to RHD and or what visibility does any one have of the general number and market of donor cars in Australia.

Before I upset someone offering me their pride and joy , I think it should be know that should I do something , it may be outlaw and it may well be with motor changes etc etc..

Having little or no knowledge of this market but comfortable to start a creation , has anyone any contacts or any expereince fitting 911 motors and 5 speeds to 356s?

As a secondary iten does anyone know of the Rego QIK356 photographed on the QLD Porsche Forum ---  is it QIK?  Would love to see something in the flesh for inspiration.

Would love the debate and maybe even your creative forum ideas on what you would do how you might source etc.

I have started looking initially at shells from the US ...

Perhaps I should go buy myself a book on 356 to get the right starter , not even sure whats the difference between the years in terms of body 

Comment ,  Screams of distain , applause and input welcome   , Im just daring to dream :blink:

Go for it, I say.

I left a couple of Alfa 105's with a mob in a country town many moons ago and haven't been back to collect what may or may be left of them. But anyway, the point of that is that they had a 356 shell lying around. Maybe its the excuse I need to go see what's left of my '69 1750GTV and its valuable interior and see if they have the 356 still. I'll let you know if they do and if they have any plans for it.

BTW, I haven't heard anything from your guy re my wire wheels - though I haven't chased him. Might try again.

Dude...you think the 911 market is berko. I still wish I had the manliness to use student loans back in the 80's to buy the 356 I was hankering for then , 12- 15k.

so you got em BIGGER than me :) if youre  about picking up a cheap 356 converting it to rhd and then rodding it. Some will say unleash the dogs ... I say do it...others will smile in a fatherly way and wonder where that affordable 356 is

PS give Jason Bobruk a call at Real Steel Group 

And for some deep inspiration....http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4932

Go for it.  They are great little cars and, for reasons I do not know, the LHD to RHD conversion does not seem to attract the same stigma.  It is also a lot easier.

After many (14?) 911's in a row I have recently bought a 356A with a few hidden upgrades (eg. 12V conversion, front discs) and it is a hoot to drive.

I think the A's are the prettiest.  The C's are said to drive better.  Pretty easy to upgrade and swap parts etc

There are also LOTS of performance options for them, but I'm surprised how much fun the 1600 is to drive.  And if I really want to go fast, I'm lucky enough to have a VERY quick early 911 tucked away...

Couldn't find the qik356 in my photo library but seeing as I rounded up some 356s here they are:

These two have been at Cars and Coffee

E5751BFB-B983-4C29-BD7E-1FCC15A462C9_zps

709F9E4A-A686-4A99-9643-2B9846E950B1_zps

And for the purists:

Bowdens 4-cam Pebble Beach winning example (now sold I think?)

BE1AA628-6AB3-4269-9571-F67AAF984EBE_zps

One that was for sale in San Francisco:

23A36447-EA7B-48D5-B8B8-C29FEFA47196_zps

I might add there are still affordable LHD 911s around - complete registered cars for less than a 356 shell?

Archived