Gratuitous Porsche Pics

The factory cars did quite well at Daytona this year considering they are all new .. ,,,one of Porsche,s GT3 Cup R cars owned by a private team Alegra Motorsports took the victory in the GTD class ....Patrick Pilet, in the factory Porsche 911 RSR co-driven with Frederic Makowiecki and Dirk Werner, put the Ford driver under pressure before having to back off over the final laps to allow Muller to win by nearly three seconds. Stirling effort for its first outing ,,,

And I agree the older car looks better to me also ,,,but Porsche claims the new under body , rear diffuser and aero package is a large leap forward over the out going car ...looks ugly as hell to me :)

20170106_101158_50caa7ad5ef7136c1e2e8875 photo908.jpg

Don’t know what to make of this RSR. To me it feels like Porsche is resorting to applying bandaids in an attempt to keep up with their rivals. It feels like more of a hack to me rather than a purely performance based engineering decision. I would not be surprised if deep down, the head honcho’s a Porsche know that the 911 should have been retired long ago. Are they stuck in the past? Are they listening to their clientele too much? Maybe they need to look at Ford. They got it right with the GT. Success from a clean sheet.

They needed a decent car, as they haven't really done much in terms of consistent results with Le Mans and GT3 racing. They also need to stop changing drivers so often! Have Patrick Long and Earl Bamber as factory drivers for a start. I also think Aussie Matt Campbell will go far with Porsche. Hope so anyway

I too think its a bandaid fix with the RSR, yet maybe it IS a test bench for the future GT3RS? Pretty sure we'll never know until if and when it's released

Begs the obvious question - why not use the Cayman as the GT racer? Although the answer is even more obvious..... it is not a 911!

The ironic thing about this is that Porsche was given the go a head to move the engine forward by the sports governing bodies because they produced mid engine cars like the Cayman and Boxster ,, the placement of the engine forward of the rear axle has helped them immensely In the cars under body air flow and the obvious advantages of the new huge rear diffuser arrangement ,this was areas that Porsche was certainly behind its competitors in ,,, due to the engine in the rear  taking up all the spacing need to maximize use of a large rear diffuser that is allowed with in the rules..They had to do something and this seems to be the obvious way to go,, personally I think this is a look at things to come for the 911 it eventually has to become a mid engine configuration car if Porsche wishes to keep up with it market rivals ....lets face it this is just another evolutionary step in the 911,s long history :D  

Edited by Raven

Porsche 984. Initially designed for Seat in 1984, they pulled the pin and Porsche continued developing, then US economy went sour and forced it's abandonment.... mid engine flat 4, the real pre-curser to the Boxster.... now part of Porsche museum

Porsche-984-2.jpg

984rear-copyright-porsche_zpsa4d623b0.jp

Porsche-984-5.jpg

Don’t know what to make of this RSR. To me it feels like Porsche is resorting to applying bandaids in an attempt to keep up with their rivals. It feels like more of a hack to me rather than a purely performance based engineering decision. I would not be surprised if deep down, the head honcho’s a Porsche know that the 911 should have been retired long ago. Are they stuck in the past? Are they listening to their clientele too much? Maybe they need to look at Ford. They got it right with the GT. Success from a clean sheet.

listening to their clientele? i.e. the people who pay them money for their products?
didn't they almost go broke the last time they didn't listen to their clientele and tried to foist the clean sheet design 944 and 928 onto 911 buyers?

good cars.. but trying to sell a not-911 to people wanting a 911 has proven not to work..?

Edited by clutch-monkey

listening to their clientele? i.e. the people who pay them money for their products?didn't they almost go broke the last time they didn't listen to their clientele and tried to foist the clean sheet design 944 and 928 onto 911 buyers?

good cars.. but trying to sell a not-911 to people wanting a 911 has proven not to work..?

Believe me when I say I hear you.

From a motorsport perspective, I don't think the rear engined layout is cutting it anymore. I am confused by what they have done with the RSR. 911 but now mid mounted? Im not sold by it. Sounds like a Cayman with a 911 shell bolted on top. Its a significant deviation from the road going version.

If the clientele wants the 911, sure keep building them. I love them. I just don't think is the right model to take on Ford, Ferrari anymore. I don't know what the solution is model wise. A Cayman badged car winning the class at Lemans or Daytona? Not sure how that will play out considering the road version sits under the 911. Maybe something like the 960 should be brought in to sit between the 911 & 918 and race that on the world stage, hopefully kicking Ford & Ferrari's butts.

Not sure how standard and S Caymans are selling now and if they were on the wane 2014 - 15.... maybe for the future they should park the Cayman forever, keep the boxster. 

And as they are now Turbos, keep the 911 Carrera and S and a GT3 model and let them be the fat Grand Tourers they have become for all the latest buyers who want the tradition of a 911. Keep the CaymanGT4 and just bring it out as a stand alone 4 litre RS or RSR .......

and make a whole new model re 913 but sorta make it like a cross between Cayman and 913 and use it as the platform for the next 20 years with a standard, an S, a TT, a hybrid, a 4S with an electric motor on each wheel, GT models etc to ultimately take the mantle of the 911 by around the next 10 years or so....

Believe me when I say I hear you.

From a motorsport perspective, I don't think the rear engined layout is cutting it anymore. I am confused by what they have done with the RSR. 911 but now mid mounted? Im not sold by it. Sounds like a Cayman with a 911 shell bolted on top. Its a significant deviation from the road going version.

If the clientele wants the 911, sure keep building them. I love them. I just don't think is the right model to take on Ford, Ferrari anymore. I don't know what the solution is model wise. A Cayman badged car winning the class at Lemans or Daytona? Not sure how that will play out considering the road version sits under the 911. Maybe something like the 960 should be brought in to sit between the 911 & 918 and race that on the world stage, hopefully kicking Ford & Ferrari's butts.

ah yep I get you. Agreed!

the fact the Cayman with the gt4 is the fun, don't-care-about-numbers car offered with a manual whereas the 911 GT3 is not (under the guise of keeping up with the competition) is ass about! Keep the 911 a fun involving drive with a unique layout, push the Cayman further if they need cars to keep up with GTR's and  ferraris. Not that the 911 is a slow car in any sense!

ah yep I get you. Agreed!

the fact the Cayman with the gt4 is the fun, don't-care-about-numbers car offered with a manual whereas the 911 GT3 is not (under the guise of keeping up with the competition) is ass about! Keep the 911 a fun involving drive with a unique layout, push the Cayman further if they need cars to keep up with GTR's and  ferraris. Not that the 911 is a slow car in any sense!

Don't know if bumping up the Cayman is the answer but I do know that it won't be a 911 winning the Bathurst 12hr this weekend.

Think this will be my one and only pic here 45 steps and half hour later I'm done. if anyone is interested in my build of this car I have it all documented on a facebook site called Transaxle cars Australia also Porsche 924.

IMG_5512_zpsnieek2ok.png

Edited by Rod C
Wrong link