An IT Consultant's 993 Black, Black, Black

What an amazing journey it has been with this car.   It started three years ago with the passing of my Mother-In-law.  She died after losing her battle with cancer - and that prompted me to purchase this car.  Not wanting to wait too long, and hoping to get one before she passed to "share the love", it was purchased sight-unseen, with no mechanical checks at all.  And luckily, it was cheap.  It needed some love.  Just like that three legged dog you just had to take home form the pound - well, this car was that dog.

She saw the car and was pleased.  Luckily, she passed before the bills started to arrive.  During those three years, the following has been replaced, at a cost of "many" bags of gold.

• Pistons
  • Barrels
  • All engine seals (twice in 3 years)
  • Left and Right Camshafts
  • Timing Chains
  • Cam Gears
  • Ignition Coils
  • Cylinder Head Reconditioned
  • Engine Mounts
  • Distributors
  • Rocker Covers
  • O2 Sensor
  • Crappy Stereo system
  • Engine lid struts
  • Full Engine Rebuild
  • and various other small bits.....too many to detail here.

And now, after three years of toiling and messing around with this car, it is almost complete.

It has arrived back from Sydney after a 6 weeks stay at the workshop.  They fully rebuilt the engine, installed new competition pistons, barrels, inlet and exhaust valves, timing chains and did some suspension work also.

I have also just changed it to 16" wheels instead of the original 17" wheels previously fitted.  What a difference that 1" makes (I've heard that a lot from the ladies.....)    The extra sidewall gives the car a much more balanced and settled ride.  It's wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres which also help in the ride.

This is how it looks now. Getting used to the "gangsta" look of the black wheels - but I am so damn happy with the ride.

Perhaps it's time for some pegasus decals ?

12633176_871202786323649_1150401507_o

What are your thoughts ?  Black wheels or silver wheels ?

The purist in me likes silver but probably fun to rock the black for a while.  Still selling?

Just got the car back today - took it for a 30 minute sprint - and love it.   Gotta put the price up on CarSales to make it worthwhile if someone buys it.   I am thinking Ill have to keep it for a while now.  Especially since I did a few "while you are in there" jobs while the engine was out (i.e. new pistons and barrels etc)

It feels damn good - must be like it was when it rolled off the factory production line. 

looks hot Chris. Black wheels for sure. You should hang out with mr black on black on black architect ITSUJACK

It seems all the 964s are getting black love, so I thought I had to extend that love to 993.

Perhaps it's time for some pegasus decals ?

Great looking 993 Chris! I don't need to tell you my preference on this one :D

A little tip from a fellow black on black aficionado; it makes a big difference when the tyres are treated and kept nice and dark. Poli recommended Carpro Perl to me and have been using it for a while now, love it.

Funny you mention the decals. I tried one on the 964, but took if off straight away. Perfect on a 356 or early car but looked odd on a 964. The problem is it should sit right where the side indicator is, plus I think I bought them a size too big...

I have also just changed it to 16" wheels instead of the original 17" wheels previously fitted.  What a difference that 1" makes (I've heard that a lot from the ladies.....)    The extra sidewall gives the car a much more balanced and settled ride.  It's wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres which also help in the ride.

12633176_871202786323649_1150401507_o

Love the wheels Chris ;) Looks much better on your 993!!!

EDB939B5-38DA-4058-A382-69D6ECE674D6_zps

Glad you like them and they way they ride... Enjoy!

All black robs the eye of the curves and depth. The designers use color & chrome accents for a reason.

It must be awesome to get the old girl back after such a big refresh!

The 17's look better IMO as they fill the guards more, ride height could be adjusted to suit the 16's as it could just sit that bit lower to suit. 

I'm personally not a huge fan of the design of those 16's so I'd be running the cup 2's as I think they are a nicer looking wheel.

in relation to colour, depending on how clean you keep your car I'd stick with the silver. 

bronze wheels :D

Great help, thanks B)

All black robs the eye of the curves and depth. The designers use color & chrome accents for a reason.

It must be awesome to get the old girl back after such a big refresh!

I am a fan of silver...I like original look.   The billions of dollars spent by the designers usually mean more than me with a spray can.

It is SO NICE to have this back and now be able to use it without choking on oil fumes.

photo%201_zps7cz8s2id.jpg

Looks like 17 silvers to me...........looks good too.

I wanna see wha she goes like in the hills when I return.. Doma for lunch …hopefully the TT will start and not feel negelected , didnt plug her in before but driven the day before

Change is good , black

Archived