Tesla autopilot fatal crash

tazzieman

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/breaking-news/britains-electric-cars-have-consequences/news-story/dd3a58437f7aa5f04e8d09c8d123bf92

Capacity problems could also start in the home.

National Grid says that drivers charging their cars at home might not be able to use items such as kettles, ovens and immersion heaters at the same time without tripping their house's main fuse.

No worries if you've got the ancient knowledge

billy-boiling-2.jpg 

Richard Hammond did a good video recently while driving a Volvo with pilot assist.  Without a clear indication of who is in charge you've essentially got two people fighting/sharing the wheel.  Airline pilots have very strict procedures for giving control for a very good reason as Hammond talks about.   Makes you think.   The reason Google has gone for full auto as opposed to driver assist is this very problem.   People are going to be less attentive and rely on the car more, and even if the car is up to it, and everything was perfect, this would still cause issues.  With the very less than perfect systems being sold now, there are going to be more problems.

Having said that the collision avoidance emergency stop systems should considerably reduce crashes.  T least it doesn't require people to use them.  Unlike cruise control which most cars are fitted with yet few people use.

For those vaguely interested in the future, this Tuesday night on the ABC 26th Sept@8.30

https://tv.press.abc.net.au/catalyst-sit-back-relax-the-dawn-of-the-driverless-car

Those clowns at the ABC are about as clueless as any living thing can be. Nothing more than fell good PR totally divorced from any reality. predictions about technology are pretty much always wrong. 

Those clowns at the ABC are about as clueless as any living thing can be. Nothing more than fell good PR totally divorced from any reality. predictions about technology are pretty much always wrong. 

I'll be on the couch chuckin' rotten tomatoes! How autonomous cars will avoid random decision making road hogging pack cyclists & roadkill is something beyond my Stephen Hawking rivalling IQ.

The big car companies will toast him. Doesn't even have a chassis or any manufacturing. Looks like he is heading for a vortex and will be in a big spin cycle trying to sell his rubbish.

The big car companies will toast him. Doesn't even have a chassis or any manufacturing. Looks like he is heading for a vortex and will be in a big spin cycle trying to sell his rubbish.

Many entrepreneurs are dicin' for e-car victory. They will bag each other out for as long as it takes.

Keep flogging the topic

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-02/automakers-plan-electric-car-blitz-even-as-tesla-burns-billions

By the end of the year, electric-car maker Tesla Inc.will have burned through more than $10 billion without ever having made 10 cents...

“Companies are committed to electric cars, but there is little evidence that there is a lot of consumer demand for it,” said Kevin Tynan, senior analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence."

etc

Personally, I think Musk is just a very elaborate con man to make bank for himself

His latest vision is to have people on Mars within 7 years. It takes 3 years to get there, so that leaves 4 years to construct a suitable vehicle that's reliable enough for a one way ticket! ??

I am sure there will be many more as they try to catch up with the vast experience of the established players.   

It's hard to improve upon slow simplicity, but that thought doesn't create jobs does it?

article-2017721-0D1DEF0400000578-126_634

In my experience just because something appears simple does not mean that there is not a significant amount of hi tech in its engineering and materials and most importantly the hard learn't lessons form years in the field of getting the job done no if's no but's. Lessons the upstart often learns the hard way. 

In my experience just because something appears simple does not mean that there is not a significant amount of hi tech in its engineering and materials and most importantly the hard learn't lessons form years in the field of getting the job done no if's no but's. Lessons the upstart often learns the hard way. 

There is a move back to simplicity in those wise to the stresses of unnecessary clutter & complexity. Food , housing and transport (though free bikes aren't exactly the public's favourite toy).

Simplicity could mean an electric motor and four wheels - but no,  it has to include an infotainment unit and other bells and whistles to enable urban survival in an overheated world.

I  think people should listen to what their heart is telling them rather than the many voices babbling between their ears.  

Best of luck to these sacrificial lambs http://www.india.com/business/tesla-sacks-over-400-employees-in-a-week-over-non-performance-former-employee-claims-otherwise-2533698/

So they are already under the pump and way behind schedule with the new model 3 delivery schedule and they sack 400! Great way to increase production time with 400 hundred less who must have been producing something of value. How do you just replace 400 skilled trained workers immediately - better to plough on ahead with the existing staff with a sick and a carrot to try and meet revised deadlines and then sack them maybe not all together once the timeline pressure has eased. Wheels falling off Tesla (I'm not a fan of Musk) because they are actually losing money hand over fist and survive on government funding and corporate investment/(gambling?) propping it all up

How do you just replace 400 skilled trained workers immediately

- Wheels falling off Tesla (I'm not a fan of Musk) because they are actually losing money hand over fist and survive on government funding and corporate investment/(gambling?) propping it all up

Well it is India, So I'd say they'd have a couple of billion people to choose from ?

Musk is just a visionary who will eventually fall in a big heap, and bring every investor down with him. Like our SA government have done by believing all the bollocks that comes out of his gob