Tesla autopilot fatal crash

tazzieman

• I didnt know about the heat issue with batteries :Confused02:..............will be interesting to see what the Porsche Mission E is like when it arrives ,,,Tesla may be the first to do this but I think the big European car company,s like VW group ,,Mercedes ,,BMW etc will take it to a new level and sort out the Tesla , short falls ...

• 2 weeks later...

It's amusing to watch the world go techno crazy. Sooner or later , we'll end up ploughing fields by hand and feeding horses. Mark my words B)
http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/the-us-military-is-preparing-for-war-without-gps/news-story/497ecd7d36904782c7c6c784b17b582b

Here we go again, blah blah blah ..... he reels out a new model every month (in his dreams) and sprouts it out for distraction from the company;s MAJOR problems... he;s basing this truck on the platform of another dream he hasn't invented yet. I;m tipping it;s a cash grab off of investors/govts before the company folds and liquidates with F all assets vs liabilities.

Tesla to build Ford F-150 rival

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/tesla-to-build-ford-f-150-rival-116785.html?trackLink=SMH0?trackLink=SMH0?ffref=theage

• 4 weeks later...

This popped up in a med newsfeed today:

" My recent locum tenens work at the Mayo Clinic landed me in Scottsdale, Arizona, a scenic 2500-mile drive from my Rhode Island home. I soon discovered that Scottsdale is a national test site for autonomous vehicles. It wasn't unusual to see one, two, or three specially equipped Volvos driving around the neighborhood. These vehicles featured a bizarre bubble-shaped contraption on the roof and drivers who eerily rarely touched the steering wheel.

is_180103_self_driving_cars_250x188.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&resize=250:*

Apart from their novelty value, I couldn't see an advantage to self-driving vehicles. I enjoy driving and avoid the passenger seat, as I tend to get carsick. For me, self-driving cars were an invention looking for a purpose.

But then I started thinking about my patients and the inevitable dreaded discussions about driving. As an epileptologist, I must often advise patients who are usually young, otherwise healthy people that they should not drive because of the risk for an accident due to an unpredictable seizure. Because inability to drive severely limits job and social opportunities, my well-intentioned advice is often received reluctantly, if not rejected out of hand.

Of the estimated 3 million people in the United States with epilepsy, approximately one third have uncontrolled seizures. A rough calculation therefore indicates that uncontrolled seizures force approximately 1 million people out of the driver's seat.

Imperfect guidelines for determining when an epilepsy patient is "safe" to drive further bedevil sage recommendations.[1] The requirement in some states for physicians to report patients with uncontrolled seizures to the department of motor vehicles can also erode the physician-patient relationship, compromising care.[1]

Aging Patients, Abounding Driving Needs

In addition to people with uncontrolled seizures who should not drive, there are millions of aging patients with Alzheimer disease, Parkinson disease, and other neurodegenerative diseases who gradually lose the cognitive, motor, and visual skills requisite for safe driving.[2]

Many of these patients have lost the insight required to recognize the wisdom of "handing in their car keys," resulting in emotional scenes that are unpleasant for all concerned. Loss of driving privileges may be the watershed event that figuratively and literally deprives patients of an independent lifestyle, precipitating admission to a nursing home or other supervised living situations.Imagine the metamorphosis in the driving discussion that an affordable, self-driving car could bring. Instead of bracing for an argument and stating, "You can't drive anymore," the physician could say, "It's time to trade in that old clunker and get one of those cool, self-driving cars." Problem solved. Maybe Medicare would even pay for it as a "durable medical device!"I don't own Tesla stock, and I'm not sure whether autonomous driving technology is ready for prime time. But given the rapid pace of technological progress, reliable autonomous vehicles will become a reality long before cures for epilepsy, Alzheimer disease, Parkinson disease, and other neurodegenerative diseases that patients and their neurologists struggle with every day.According to a recent article in Fortune magazine,[3] self-driving cars will join the roadway in a "noticeable way" in just 3 years. By 2040, self-driving cars will constitute 95% of all new vehicles.For the sake of millions of people with epilepsy and neurodegenerative disease, I hope that those experimental self-driving cars I saw in Tucson pass muster and become a consumer reality as soon as possible. Neurologists will be relieved of countless disagreeable discussions, and our patients will enjoy improved quality of life."

^^ Typical thinking by the elite. Those that need/would benifit most from an AV mostly will not be able to afford them so other peoples money will be required or it will be a pool vehicle you summon. Today we call that a “taxi” /uber and it has the added benifit that if the passenger has a medical issue the human driver can provide help unlike an AV that can not even help you in or out of the vehicle. Autonomous patient transport which is really what the article talks about is a very very very long way from reality. 

maybe true , but it doesn't take much for the keys to be taken off you. It's heartbreaking when you have to inform someone their mobility freedom has been lost.
It's not just octogenarians either...
Enjoy your sports cars as much as possible , whilst you can .

Yep unfortunately we all must depart. But what would it be like if we all could keep our licence long enough that most people died from old age induced issues while at the steering wheel and driving on the road. You can understand the desire to maintain independence but that also comes at a cost to those around you. 

We faced this issue with my dear mother. Traumatic for her to lose the independence. 

Luckily (huh) my father was a returned serviceman ww11 Singapore, and that warranted a gold card so she had free rides to medical appointments. Not so for most others. Sickness and old age stacks up some bills.

No easy solution. 

Seeing as I live on a hill well away from all public transport, intending to stay until they carry me out in a box , I have a vested interest in maintaining my ability to drive , and if necessary (shock!horror!) autonomous transport. Keeping my wife as a backup!

9 hours ago, Redracn said:

Today we call that a “taxi” /uber and it has the added benifit that if the passenger has a medical issue the human driver can provide help unlike an AV that can not even help you in or out of the vehicle.

I watched a news story from the US the other day, where people needing to go to hospital in an emergency that arent vehicle accidents or covered by insurances are using Uber instead of calling an ambulance, as they're sometimes charging $8000 for a ride to hospital ? 

Everyday autonomous cars will not happen, simple as that. 

The big issue with Uber is people who are old enough to lose their licence often are not technological capable of operating ride sharing apps.

taxis still work by phone and include wheelchair versions etc.  the problem is this is not a large enough segment to keep the taxi industry alive.

autonomous cars could solve for a certain market segment but it’s not a definite thing.

3 hours ago, Raven said:

Hahhahaha Scam .. I could pull that advert apart ten ways in the first ten lines...

The ""article"" (cough cough) -- ADVERTISEMENT is the actual attempt to part the wealthy (and not so wealthy) from some funds and straight into it's own greedy unethical hands ..... Have a good look, and click some of the highlights starting with the webpage addy etc etc etc -- lots of good clickbait phrases in there to make anyone with a brain run a million miles from it

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Hahhahaha Scam .. I could pull that advert apart ten ways in the first ten lines...

The ""article"" (cough cough) -- ADVERTISEMENT is the actual attempt to part the wealthy (and not so wealthy) from some funds and straight into it's own greedy unethical hands ..... Have a good look, and click some of the highlights starting with the webpage addy etc etc etc -- lots of good clickbait phrases in there to make anyone with a brain run a million miles from it

Well I suppose this does suit Mr Musk .............scam that is :Chuckle2:

18 minutes ago, GregAx said:

Yep there will be more to come. It is a complete joke if the autonomous vehicle or any with emergency braking can not even avoid a stationary object. Should be back to the drawing board for Elon.