Porsche Club - Why join?

D2000

Having just acquired my first P-car, I am wondering whether it is worthwhile joining the Porsche Club of New South Wales.  Maybe it is just hard to navigate, but the Club's website doesn't seem to have much information about the benefits of membership.

So can anyone fill me in on why I should join?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You get a discount on servicing and gear from your local Porsche centre. 5 or 10% from memory.

You get what you put in basically like all clubs.

What you definitely will get is to meet people who are pretty passionate about the cars and whom have heaps of knowledge. It is worth at least giving a go. 

Events would be the major draw card, especially if you are interested in getting on the track. The social side can easily be filled by being on here, the odd drive, bite to eat etc. Pretty sure @turboT is the social coordinator and @edgy takes care of the catering up your way. :D

If you want track days there's plenty of clubs, if you want competition with lots of Pcars it's probably the club to join, as for knowledge I've found most things that I needed to know on here, people will go out of their way to help and with the membership rising weekly on PFA, more knowledge to come i would say.

I joined PCNSW for a year. Went to a meeting about prepping your Boxster for track days and never went back. I don't really have a desire or the right machinery for track days so that part didn't really interest me. For social events I once had a look at some photos they posted of an X-mas Party and my first thought was 'nursing home :ph34r:'

Now much wiser in the world of Porsche owner ship I have learnt that grey hair goes hand in hand with Porsche ownership and I shouldn't be so quick to Judge...but the x-mas party still is not for me.

But the best advice I can give is put yourself out there on PFA and see who 'gets you.' I've met a great bunch and we regularly dine and drive -  real friends who you have a good shared interest with, aswell as a forum through which you can stay in touch, and take the piss out of one another. Safe to say I have never once discussed oil or airconditioning (or lack of) on PFA. One of them even owns a 924???

As you are in NSW also get onto the email list for Autohaus Hamiliton. They are hands down the best organizers of the more informal gatherings and they are free. They even managed to get the Melbourne lot out of their jim jams for a group huddle. Not nearly as impressive as the 180 P-cars that turned up to the Sydney Cars and Coffee yesterday of course ;) 

I tried PCNSW when i first arrived in Oz 9 years ago. It was one of many things I tried to kick start my life in Oz, hoping to make friends with like-minded people. I must have gone to the same Boxster prep talk as turboT. I did attend one of their sprint events, which was OK, but overall, there simply didn't seem to be a warm, welcoming atmosphere. So I did my own thing without really mixing with other Porsche owners until towards the end of last year when I came across PFA. I cannot explain why, but it has a completely different type of crowd.

I think the key difference is the forum, which allows people to interact more and share experiences. Whatever it is, I have met some great people because of PFA and every outing has been great. I could see no benefit from the heavy PCNSW fees, while I am more than happy to support this forum from which I get daily benefit (and abuse, stick, sledging, insults......:D)

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I've personally found this forum to be very useful and enjoyable.  I had also been hoping to attend the recent Autohaus events, but combination of work and trying to balance spending time with young kids meant it didn't happen.  Hopefully I will make the next one and head over to it with the Eastern Suburbs crew which seems to be quite large and active.

I also managed to get some car seats for the kids on the weekend, which means I should be able to combine both kids and cars now. For anyone interested, have posted up details of what I bought here:  http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/9612-child-restraintsbooster-seats-for-911-what-i-bought/#comment-177022

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I've personally found this forum to be very useful and enjoyable.  I had also been hoping to attend the recent Autohaus events, but combination of work and trying to balance spending time with young kids meant it didn't happen.  Hopefully I will make the next one and head over to it with the Eastern Suburbs crew which seems to be quite large and active.

I also managed to get some car seats for the kids on the weekend, which means I should be able to combine both kids and cars now. For anyone interested, have posted up details of what I bought here:  http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/9612-child-restraintsbooster-seats-for-911-what-i-bought/#comment-177022

took Toby. Little bastard had us up all night so got him back by waking him up at 5.30 ;) 

9316C1AC-4D9C-445D-84B1-112415B605DC_zps

3A34CA2D-56EC-4788-9CAC-BCED9DBC4573_zps

We're in our 4th membership year.

I'll bullet point some benefits from my perspective: 

• Historic Rego (Log Book participating club) 
  • CAMS affiliate club (you need to be with one, any of their listed clubs is ok) 
  • Discount on insurances from being a financial member 

Other than that, I have generally enjoyed some of their social events, the motorsport event calendar always seems to conflict with my travel or social agenda too.. so it has been a while since eI have done any club events, save for a few club nights recently. 

I've met some great and knowledgeable people in the Porsche club, but the rigid event calendar I find really hard to work around as a young man with full calendar. 

My PFA homies are the best ones!! :wub: 

You were noted for your absence yesterday. No excuses next time!

My little sisters wedding mate sorry! My brother in law is Greek, have you done a greek wedding lately? I was sore from dancing and still shit faced to be frank... :lol: 

i'm clearly the contrarian here. i've been a member of pcnsw for many years and i have met many great people through the club. sure, they hold some events that don't appeal to me but they hold many events that appeal to me. the profile of their membership is very diverse, which i like--ranging from hardcore track junkies, street hoons and gentlemen in smoking jackets. i usually get to their monthly meet at p-car south sydney and while not all get togethers are for me the majority are. they organise quite a few drives which aren't too bad. as someone else said...you will get out of it what you put in. the way i look at it, for $130 it's a pretty cheap way to meet other p-car enthusiasts. 

My little sisters wedding mate sorry! My brother in law is Greek, have you done a greek wedding lately? I was sore from dancing and still shit faced to be frank... :lol: 

I'm doing Gdeek,  by proxy.

Done their weddings twice. Best way IMO.

Archived