New 911 rebuild shell .... Really?

michel

Forgetting the VIN issue for a moment, if you are doing a full restoration, what does this do for you? Would it be cheaper and/or better to get this than a full rebuild of a rusty car? If so, expect to see some VIN's cut out and welded into new shells. As it happens with other makes, it will happen with Porsches. 

Exactly what I was going to say Simon. To spend a potential $30k on the new shell, the original car would have to be pretty knackered to justify that amount of cash. Saying that,  chequebook Charlie's would probably be convinced to buy one by a shop instead of them doing a shedload of time with rust repairs. Much quicker and easier just to cut the VIN out and stamp some numbers. Remember that blue 912 that was folded in half and rusted beyond repair on Craigslist? Cut off the VIN (if its still there) and voila, new car!

The historic race car guys will be lining up too I reckon

Well a rough shell is already in the 15k mark, and that's before you start stripping back the paint, banging out dents and patching rust.  Every 100 hours in a shop is another 10k or so, right?  Starting with a new perfect shell is the right way forward.

The American muscle cars are mostly body on frame so maybe that's easier to rebody and not get into identity issues.

The interesting question here is whether you rebuild the chassis factory perfect or do you start making improvements for drainage, stiffness and galvanising ?

The granddads axe problem can be overcome by legally shifting the vin to a new set of panels by an engineer who certifies new one is better than old one etc etc.  it's a bit stupid you can present a patchwork of rust repairs off as the same car but not a whole lot of new sheet metal.  But our collective government usually goes for bragging rights at the stupid table, so expect underhanded vin stamping to go on instead.

Shpuld have gone long in the Klassy market after all!

Cutting Vins and welding in anywhere is traceable with today's forensics. Like wise filling in and re stamping.

Of course it is traceable, but how many people go to that level to check a car when they buy it. If all the numbers match and it has been restored, the vast majority would take it on face value.

The key is are rego people going to check.  Most sellers would disclose new shell as it is a good thing.  Rego person sees restored car, numbers check, tick tick tick here is your plates.

As I said there should be a legal way of rebirthkng a car.  It's only not allowed because of the crims.  Should be on the record like repaired write off. 

I think at this stage it is still fantasy, happy to be proven wrong.

I think you are right. It looks like somebody added 2+2 and got 5.

The story was based on there being a complete shell on the Dansk stand at the Frankfurt show. One eagle eyed person has spotted that the panels on the car are in 2 different colours. The panels that Dansk supplies are in dark grey while all others are in light grey. Coincidence? There is no announcement about complete shells anywhere else.

I think you are right. It looks like somebody added 2+2 and got 5.

The story was based on there being a complete shell on the Dansk stand at the Frankfurt show. One eagle eyed person has spotted that the panels on the car are in 2 different colours. The panels that Dansk supplies are in dark grey while all others are in light grey. Coincidence? There is no announcement about complete shells anywhere else.

I took it as the dark grey being what they supply at the moment. Personally, I think it is a logical step for them as a company. Just like CJ Pony.
The passing of time will reveal all ;) 

Archived