Locally delivered Vs Inported

Nicco

UK Import Journey:
------------------
Made in Germany by superior Artisans
Put on the boat to the Fatherland
Greeted by well spoken, clean uniform dressed educated wharf staff
Started and driven gently onto heated trucks with care, no food or drinks allowed inside new cars. They ate cheese, drank wine and discussed Shakespear in their designated breaks
These were all bought by the elite

It depends on the era. If my memory serves me right, if it was the 1980's they were all bought by a mix of Harry Enfield "Loadsa Money" and/or Essex Money Broker types who thrashed them around Basildon and Billericay on Saturday nights. We used to laugh at them and their mispronunciation of major overseas brand names (Moet et Chandon, Louis Vuitton etc) but it seems they had the last laugh because while we all looked down our noses at their stupid pronunciation of Porsche with an "a" on the end, it seems they were right after all :D 

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased a 2010 997.2  turbo that was a UK import and spent over $40000.00 worth of engine rust repairs. It was never going to be perfect and I had to sell it for a net loss to move it on. After that kind of mechanical $$ hit there no option other than to hate your car.

Every F^$^%$ wit that rings you to buy it wants to steal it and offers stupid money. Even though it was priced right .. NEVER EVER AGAIN,

Took 3 deposits all of them unable to get finance or the wife said NO....

Finance companies will not lend against them.

The new owner ended up with a great car to drive around at a great price, So a very good deal, Though it will always be an import with signs of corrosion and difficult to sell.

So have I got this right? Please edit..

UK Import Journey:
------------------
Made in Germany by superior Artisans
Put on the boat to the Fatherland
Greeted by well spoken, clean uniform dressed educated wharf staff
Started and driven gently onto heated trucks with care, no food or drinks allowed inside new cars. They ate cheese, drank wine and discussed Shakespear in their designated breaks
These were all bought by the elite

(Then.. things take a little dive..)

Driven on salt roads
When they got a little rusty they sold them to 'Strayans'
But before sending them off they lit a fire and tossed in all the car's service records

no self respecting well raised chap would trade his Aston or Bentley for some crass ass-engined nazi car with no wood inside.  So I think it was more of a case where some dodgy wide boy flogged crap out of it in Essex for ten years, then sold it to a mid-level manager who lived in some m25 commuter borough and left it outside because his salary didn't extend to a detached house with a garage wider than a Morris.   Same guy got rid of the Fuchs wheels for some knockoff turbo twists and flicked the original plate for a personalised one because he couldnt be seen dead with an F plate car at the golf driving range.   Finally with no one stupid enough to buy his mildew ridden rust bucket he flogs it off on the Internet to some colonial, making a comment like "some minor surface rust" in the fine print.

I'll never understand that. Maybe I just have a great missus, as she never questions anything I buy

My SC is a HK import, and is 'worth' as much as standard car as it would be as a backdate, which is exactly why that is underway now. 

You take a chance with imports no matter what year they are, especially salty UK cars (have seen a couple that are pretty good though), yet seeing a silver converted SC on Carsales for $110k makes me think the seller is a tad optimistic! 

I'll never understand that. Maybe I just have a great missus, as she never questions anything I buy

My SC is a HK import, and is 'worth' as much as standard car as it would be as a backdate, which is exactly why that is underway now. 

You take a chance with imports no matter what year they are, especially salty UK cars (have seen a couple that are pretty good though), yet seeing a silver converted SC on Carsales for $110k makes me think the seller is a tad optimistic! 

as a seller of an import and many highend prestige cars  I can 100% assure you that they are not worth the same money as an australian delivered car. No matter the age.

Is the car Australian delivered is always the first question asked when selling any car 

The amount of calls I received copping low ball offers and being an  import excuse was madness.

Never ever again will I buy a private import . 

as a seller of an import and many highend prestige cars  I can 100% assure you that they are not worth the same money as an australian delivered car. No matter the age.

You misunderstood my comment

MY car, a RHD Hong Kong import, is worth the same if I keep MY car stock or backdate it, so it doesn't matter what I do to it, people will always think it's 'Just an import' and worth less, even though it is factory built right hand drive and drives the same as an Aussie delivered one. Bloody stupid if you ask me, but that's how it is

@LeeM agree. It's a bit boring and silly aint it.

When the Porsche world sh*ts me to tears, which is quite frequent, I go into the Volvo world for some clarity and perspective.

Buy an old Volvo and come and see the light! It's awsome in here.

Is the car Australian delivered is always the first question asked when selling any car 

The amount of calls I received copping low ball offers and being an  import excuse was madness.

Never ever again will I buy a private import . 

Just curious, per you situation, how far out of whack is a 20% discount to comparable local delivered equivalent  (advertised / recent sale) in terms for your actual sale value

Well if you see a car, like the car and are happy with the condition and price - buy it and don't worry about the supposed stigma attached to an imported car. They all come from the same factory, with slight dirrerences really.

I have owned both, when I drive them - I can't really tell the difference, nor did I care where they came from.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It's really sad isn't it, we have the magnificent machines from all over the world and we worry about them being imports. I remember the times Porsche were built locally.. good old days...............

The problem is you have a select few Elitest's that think anything outside of Australia is taboo and start to talk crap about imports. I mean look at the first 356 that was IMPORTED to australia, would you say it was any less??. I've dealt with these people when looking at what car to buy, it makes you wonder how they got to where they are thinking that way. I'd have NO problems buying a Japan Porsche a HK Porsche, UK Porsche and even a US Porsche, i simply don't care. Its not like where they came from detracts from its driving experience. It's not like an imported Porsche Carrera GT would sell any cheaper then one locally brought. Not that you can get one.

I did see a 'Come and try lawn bowls' sign the other day too, so that's a coincidence you mention that ?

oh dear, you don't get it yet. :-) I'll take you for a spin in my awesome 145 one day and you'll understand. Coolest car in the universe!

At least no mention of golf yet. 

The local bowls guys are young hipsters who drink craft beer whilst playing. No golfist does that.

Golfists belong on the BMW forum anyway.

What were we talking about?

I have a BMW & an MB & a Porsche & I play golf & surf & drive fast & other things but not bowls!!!

I purchased a 2010 997.2  turbo that was a UK import and spent over $40000.00 worth of engine rust repairs. It was never going to be perfect and I had to sell it for a net loss to move it on. After that kind of mechanical $$ hit there no option other than to hate your car.

Curious - what sort of rust problems did you fix on your 2010 997.2  turbo?

(You are right - I have had cars from just about everywhere - UK/Ireland is by far the worst place, followed by HK. I presently have a Skyline from JDM & it is perfect. My Melb delivered early 70s MB 450 SL was a rusty nightmare, nearly as bad as an English car!) 

Every F^$^%$ wit that rings you to buy it wants to steal it and offers stupid money. Even though it was priced right .. NEVER EVER AGAIN,

Finance companies will not lend against them.

The new owner ended up with a great car to drive around at a great price, So a very good deal, Though it will always be an import with signs of corrosion and difficult to sell.

here is the problem. You bought a bad car and are now tarring all imports with the same brush. You can buy imports that don't have rust. Did you have a PPI done? Did you know that you can also get rusty Australian delivered cars?

The issue of imports vs locally delivered is fairly simple. All you have to remember is a few things.

• Imports  sell at a discount to locally delivered cars. Accept that and it means that you can buy into a car cheaper, so long as you realise you will also get less when you sell.
  • All cars need to be inspected for condition. Some imports are worse than local cars, but you can also get very good imports.
  • Correctly priced cars sell. badly priced cars don't. this applies to both imports and locally delivered cars. The big reason why imports don't sell is because of unrealistic pricing. Correctly priced imports tend to sell very fast.
  • Don't argue whether the discount applied to imports is fair or reasonable. Just accept it and act accordingly. I personally cannot see any reason for paying 25-30% more for an identical car in identical condition, but I respect the fact others can see a reason and do pay that premium. It's their choice.
  • They are all Porsches that come from the same factory. They are all great cars.

:)

Correctly priced cars sell. badly priced cars don't. this applies to both imports and locally delivered cars. The big reason why imports don't sell is because of unrealistic pricing. Correctly priced imports tend to sell very fast

Correctamundo! Shame many are unable to grasp that

here is the problem. You bought a bad car and are now tarring all imports with the same brush. You can buy imports that don't have rust. Did you have a PPI done? Did you know that you can also get rusty Australian delivered cars?

The issue of imports vs locally delivered is fairly simple. All you have to remember is a few things.

• Imports  sell at a discount to locally delivered cars. Accept that and it means that you can buy into a car cheaper, so long as you realise you will also get less when you sell.
  • All cars need to be inspected for condition. Some imports are worse than local cars, but you can also get very good imports.
  • Correctly priced cars sell. badly priced cars don't. this applies to both imports and locally delivered cars. The big reason why imports don't sell is because of unrealistic pricing. Correctly priced imports tend to sell very fast.
  • Don't argue whether the discount applied to imports is fair or reasonable. Just accept it and act accordingly. I personally cannot see any reason for paying 25-30% more for an identical car in identical condition, but I respect the fact others can see a reason and do pay that premium. It's their choice.
  • They are all Porsches that come from the same factory. They are all great cars.

this reminds me - seems to be a lot of newcomers to the classic car stuff, and it shows.

selling a pair of 45 year old cars- non-porsche, of which the body and driveline has been overhauled on each in the last 5 years- and people keep asking how many miles on the odometer :lol:
how that is even relevant 45 years on, i have no idea. both are sub 40,000 miles, but there is no way of knowing how accurate that is.
porsche guys simply ask when the last refresh was and accept that the cars have been driven and then make a decision based how the car has been maintained and presented..
Then the inevitable Aus delivered question is asked, when for one of the cars none of that model was ever available in Aus new.

Most of the angst of this is people thinking they can arbitrage an import into a higher selling price.  You can't. The gap is there. You gain on sale and lose on sale, but end up the same.

99% of people who look at, ride in or talk to you about your Porsche will not ask where it was delivered.  The only person who will care is the one that comes to buy it when you sell it.  Price anything right and it will sell.  And don't get insulted about people lowballing over the phone - at least they showed an interest.

The older the car gets the less the delivery location will matter.  Very recent imported cars will get marked down heavily.  Once they have been here twenty years - meh.

I knew the car I was buying and it was $100000.00 less than the next cheapest Aussie car. 

The issue was selling the car. Every man and his dog would ring make offers for even less . Agree to buy and have no money. Couldn't get finance as an import. Low ball offer cause an import life eg 

australian car was $245k 

same car uk import / all fixed brought price down from $178 to $159000...for it to finally sell 6 months .

some tool rings and says it's an import mate I'll give you 80k another woulld offer $110k then 120k never even seeing the car.

i have a new 991.2 GT3 arriving and you can all shove your shit box imports as the car was good though trying to sell it was a nightmare. 

Not to mention the idiots that promised they would buy after a test drive and it drove andlokked great then vanished . Next time around will be very different as my car will be perfect and no excuses . 

So enjoy your imports while you can though know when it times comes to sell it all the f-wits come out of the woodwork. And they will be calling you !! 

Archived