Locally delivered Vs Inported

Nicco

But you're looking at imports from a sales point of view, not as a buyer who hasn't got the readies for a more expensive car.

Sure there are tools around that lowball, yet what do car salesmen do, pay retail value? Yeah, good luck with that! An Aussie delivered earlier smelly, oil dripping SC for GT3 money? Seriously? I've seen crap Aussie cars that aren't even close to my Hong Kong car, yet they want $30k more because 'Its Aussie delivered maaaaate'! What a crock of shit.  You can shove your over inflated Aussie delivered matching numbers prices, as I'll be happy that I paid half what they command for same Aussie car, be it an SC or a GT3, to experience owning a RHD matching numbers imported 911 that I don't have to worry about getting stone chips or its future value before I go for a thrash in the hills ??

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that lowballsrs and timewasters appear with every sale - cars boats houses whatever.  I don't think they are limited to imported cars.   Trying to sell a car right now and have one guy constantly lowballing, messaging to day motor has been swapped because of the oil filler location and other weird crap.  I just laugh and move on.

My understanding is that lowballsrs and timewasters appear with every sale - cars boats houses whatever.  I don't think they are limited to imported cars.   Trying to sell a car right now and have one guy constantly lowballing, messaging to day motor has been swapped because of the oil filler location and other weird crap.  I just laugh and move on.

can also depend on what you are selling.

in selling the e9 it's been very good, the buyers seem to all have a clear idea of what they want, a good understanding of the market, and a firm understanding of the pros and cons of each car for sale.

selling the 240z it's been painful, datsun people are a special breed, and i feel like i should be reporting some to the police for theft. of oxygen.

I purchased a 2010 997.2  turbo that was a UK import and spent over $40000.00 worth of engine rust repairs. It was never going to be perfect and I had to sell it for a net loss to move it on. After that kind of mechanical $$ hit there no option other than to hate your car.

I knew the car I was buying and it was $100000.00 less than the next cheapest Aussie car. 

Sorry, but clearly you didn't know the car you were buying or if you did, you got it very wrong. To buy a car like that with over $40k to spend on rust repairs and knowing it wasn't going to be perfect says very clearly you over paid.

Based on your story and the wording of your comments, you seem to be blaming your poor buying decision on the car being an import yet you paid the wrong price. You finally sold at a 35% discount to the Australian price for a car that by your own admission "was never going to be perfect". That sounds about right.

As for the arseholes lowballing you, welcome to selling s/h cars. It was not because it was an import. These types will find a reason to lowball you whatever the car and the reason why they do it is that occasionally, somebody falls for it and they make a killing. It's a numbers game. They will be doing it to everybody and all they need is one car every few months and they are making a nice bit of wedge.

apart from the import with the GB sticker on the back, or the LHD Targa?

Was being sarcy.  This whole thread can be summarised by saying buy on merit each time, and no matter how right or wrong you think it is, imports are worth less than locally delivered cars as the history can be incomplete, or they could be rusty and or people are biased against them.  It's the same in NZ so I'd suggest it's a fairly universal thing.

End thread?

Sorry, but clearly you didn't know the car you were buying or if you did, you got it very wrong. To buy a car like that with over $40k to spend on rust repairs and knowing it wasn't going to be perfect says very clearly you over paid.

Based on your story and the wording of your comments, you seem to be blaming your poor buying decision on the car being an import yet you paid the wrong price. You finally sold at a 35% discount to the Australian price for a car that by your own admission "was never going to be perfect". That sounds about right.

As for the arseholes lowballing you, welcome to selling s/h cars. It was not because it was an import. These types will find a reason to lowball you whatever the car and the reason why they do it is that occasionally, somebody falls for it and they make a killing. It's a numbers game. They will be doing it to everybody and all they need is one car every few months and they are making a nice bit of wedge.

I had the car inspected by PR tech and they quoted me $7500  for engine corroded nuts and bolts and parts replacements .

i am not complaining about the repairs,I am only complaining about the difference in price when selling the car and the knobs that call.

The car was a 997.2 turbo and lovely in the body and interior etc... I can assure you I didn't think I paid too much, even after changing out the turbos as the car was still 50k cheaper than the next advertised and close to perfect. 

I bought it for $150k. I thought it a good deal I thought at 150 it's a hell of a lot of car. Anyway as it turned out we replaced turbos and a heap of other stuff and it cost 40k not the 7 quoted ( thanks PR tech) and came out as close to brand new as possible, Porsche Willoughby inspection gave it a clean bill of health showing an excellent car, however still $50k cheaper than the next advertised. 

I had over 100 enquirys and sold it 3 times, at $178k

banks will not finance these cars.

one guy freaked out and wanted deposit back next day 

one guy blamed his wife for changing his mind 

one guy couldn't get finance from the bank as it was an import. 

of those 100 enquiries I had at least 50 low ball 80- $120k offers cause it was an import. 

I had 3 people send me over 15 emails and phone calls and test drives and inspections and the car was exactly as described and they still couldn't pull the trigger cause it is as an import.

I am in the carsales industry and have never gone through any thing like this sale. 

I spoke to a coupe of north shore dealers and they wouldn't touch it , said no way too hard to sell 

People want Aussie delivered cars. And they won't pay the same $$ for modern day personal imports. And nowhere near the same needs to be at least 30% less, and expect the tools to come out of the wood work, probably some if you reading this also called and make stupid offers. 

I sold the car for 160k to a guy who uses it as a daily. He loves it. Knows it's a bargain, as it is a lot of car. 

I drove it for 10000 kms and got some value for my 30k loss and 12 months of ownership. Though selling it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I like Porsche and have an order on a new one aussie delivered GT3.2 manual , this brings me joy to think if I ever sell it I will have no issues. If I do I'll just hang up on them.

Imports are a terrible buy, I'll never make the same mistake again. 

I appreciate that those who are in here are trying to defend their own cars. All I can say is good luck when you come to sell it. Best you keep it forever stay in love with the car.

I appreciate that those who are in here are trying to defend their own cars. All I can say is good luck when you come to sell it. Best you keep it forever stay in love with the car.

In your opinion as a car salesman, who was probably a bit optimistic with making a killing on an import.

With regards to the last paragraph. I don't need to defend my own car, as that was within MY budget, and I knew full well about it's value compared to Aussie cars. Owners/sellers of imports realise that they're not as desirable as an Oz delivered car, yet should price their cars accordingly. The gap between import and Aussie cars is becoming smaller, especially with older ones become thinner on the ground

In the end, who bloody cares mate? Buy what your budget allows and enjoy the thing instead of worrying about it's future value

I had the car inspected by PR tech and they quoted me $7500  for engine corroded nuts and bolts and parts replacements .

i am not complaining about the repairs,I am only complaining about the difference in price when selling the car and the knobs that call.

The car was a 997.2 turbo and lovely in the body and interior etc... I can assure you I didn't think I paid too much, even after changing out the turbos as the car was still 50k cheaper than the next advertised and close to perfect. 

I bought it for $150k. I thought it a good deal I thought at 150 it's a hell of a lot of car. Anyway as it turned out we replaced turbos and a heap of other stuff and it cost 40k not the 7 quoted ( thanks PR tech) and came out as close to brand new as possible, Porsche Willoughby inspection gave it a clean bill of health showing an excellent car, however still $50k cheaper than the next advertised. 

I had over 100 enquirys and sold it 3 times, at $178k

banks will not finance these cars.

one guy freaked out and wanted deposit back next day 

one guy blamed his wife for changing his mind 

one guy couldn't get finance from the bank as it was an import. 

of those 100 enquiries I had at least 50 low ball 80- $120k offers cause it was an import. 

I had 3 people send me over 15 emails and phone calls and test drives and inspections and the car was exactly as described and they still couldn't pull the trigger cause it is as an import.

I am in the carsales industry and have never gone through any thing like this sale. 

I spoke to a coupe of north shore dealers and they wouldn't touch it , said no way too hard to sell 

People want Aussie delivered cars. And they won't pay the same $$ for modern day personal imports. And nowhere near the same needs to be at least 30% less, and expect the tools to come out of the wood work, probably some if you reading this also called and make stupid offers. 

I sold the car for 160k to a guy who uses it as a daily. He loves it. Knows it's a bargain, as it is a lot of car. 

I drove it for 10000 kms and got some value for my 30k loss and 12 months of ownership. Though selling it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I like Porsche and have an order on a new one aussie delivered GT3.2 manual , this brings me joy to think if I ever sell it I will have no issues. If I do I'll just hang up on them.

I think you have a good point for high end newer cars. I think a lot of those points are very different when you are talking about classics.

I think you have a good point for high end newer cars. I think a lot of those points are very different when you are talking about classics.

really the kicker here is that banks wouldn't finance it,  other than that it would have been ok.  Buyers were clearly interested.

Classic purchases are not bank financed, well, apart from the whole home equity deal.  That is the difference.

if it weren't for the likes of Shannons and others we wouldn't be able to insure the dirty imports either.

All I am saying is an import is like a Boat

there is only two good days of owning an import. 

the day you buy it and the day you sell it.....

However to be fair

If you want a modern car and you don`t have the money for an Aussie car then sure buy an import, Same driving experience. Very different selling experience.

However if you can afford to buy an Australian Car i would do that.

Regarding a restored 1960 -70 - 80 's car then I would agree only a little difference. However an Aussie car will command probably only 5 to 15% more. It has been suggested on this thread there is no difference in price. This is not near true. 

So to those who have modern imports, brace yourself and get ready for the F%^*^ wits coming out of the wood work..making silly offers and wasting a boat load of your time..

Anyway points made I am OUT<>

Plenty of perspectives to have on this subject. 

I'm seeing a more than one clear way to own an import or aussie del with joy.

It stands out that it is possible to have good import experiences if your eyes are open to the pitfalls just like anything else you choose to do in life.

It's a shame karter34 you had this problem, but thanks for sharing. Ahhem venting. It's good for ya.

I think you'll hit nerves with the passionate advance here though, but don't be deterred. 

@Pork Chops is on the money with less words.

Here Here. My UK 997.2 certainly doesn't have any rust or corrosion issues. And if I was selling it today (which I'm not) it would be at market value because the first person to get it checked over (as I did) would realise it's in perfect order, so where it came from is irrelevant.

i can assure you all that our friend Whytar is in for a lot of pain with his immaculate dirty import when it comes time to sell, that is if its in the next 15 years....

I feel for you mate.....

Archived