550 Spyder replica

rafikdous

@rafikdous McRae is the definitive in replicas...celebrated internationally for the best ass clamshell shy of an original ... . he's also still kicking about in NZ (though not well) , mad genius or just mad , many stories abound ... but no denying deeply gifted engineer, fabricator and racer ... probably one of the many under recognised in motor sport 

Edited by michel

Hmm, I should Lee, shouldn't I? But needs time to post. Will do when I get 1/2hr on the weekend

But will use the RSK to kick this thread off

3 or 4 years I restored an RSK718 replica and drove it for over a year. But what I really wanted is a 550

I was looking but not actively looking. One night I have no idea why I typed "Spyder 550" on the eBay search. Not that there is likely any chance that one will be for sale. Guess what? This car came up on the search and auction ends in 12 hours

The car was in Sydney so I had no chance of seeing it before the auction ends. Called the owner (Derek Piebanka) who turned up to be a bloke from NZ who had the car for 8 years and brought it with him to Sydney. Pulled it apart for resto and found that the chassis needed a lot of work. He contacted the McRae guy (can't recall his name Michael but have his contact details) who told him not to bother sending the chassis back to NZ for repairs. It will cost $1.5k in shipping each way plus duties. He promised to make him a brand new chassis for NZ$4.5k and he has the jigs anyway

The car in Sydney was sitting on a pallet complete with everything including a 914 engine and gearbox but no chassis. It was registered in NZ as a 914 and comes with import paperwork

I took a gamble and bought it on eBay sight unseen. Then went the week after to check it out. It was going to be a big project but was worth it

I paid him the winning price minus NZ$4.5k and started dealing with McRae directly. The McRae guy and his wife was most helpful. It took him about 4 months to finish the chassis and have it powder coated

Here are some pictures of the chassis being made in NZ

2005_01_01_00_01_58.jpg

2005_01_01_00_02_11.jpg

2005_01_01_00_02_23.jpg

I paid him directly the NZ$4.5k plus NZ$1.7k for packaging, trucking and shipping to Melbourne. The amount of duties, custom fees and quarantine fees are pure stealing. For fark sake, why a brand new steel chassis needs to be quarantined????

Anyway 6 weeks later the chassis was in Melbourne and released and off to the panel shop where the rest of the car has already arrived from Sydney

Here are pictures when I first got it then unwrapped it

2014_12_05_12_21_29.jpg

2014_12_05_15_04_40.jpg

2014_12_05_15_09_03.jpg

Both Brian (the panel shop) and I were excited to have it so we started playing with it immediately. Only to come across the first problem, the body wouldn't fit on the chassis because the side members of the chassis are wider than the body

2014_12_05_15_29_42.jpg

There was no way the body will through over the chassis so we decided to cut the two side members off. It was bloody hard to take an angle grinder to the brand new chassis but had to be done. Later we will weld flanges to the members we cut and bolt them to the chassis side rails once the body is mounted

2014_12_05_15_42_32.jpg

Edited by rafikdous

Hmm, I should Lee, shouldn't I? But needs time to post. Will do when I get 1/2hr on the weekend

But will use the RSK to kick this thread off

3 or 4 years I restored and RSK718 replica and drove it for over a year. But what I really wanted is a 550

Ah my old car that I bought on a whim and then left in the garage for a few years and finally passed on to you.

I used to see you driving to work in it down Study Park Rd/Johnston St. It looked one helluva lot better than the maroon horror colour it was when I had it.

Rafik, I'm surprised McRae himself remade a chassis as I didn't think he had the chassis jig. I've been tracking the liquidated remains of the company after it popped up on trade me I think in 06? Went through about 4-5 owners since. Each time the inventory  equipment tooling etc was reduced.

Irrespective You got a cool project  

Rafik, I'm surprised McRae himself remade a chassis as I didn't think he had the chassis jig. I've been tracking the liquidated remains of the company after it popped up on trade me I think in 06? Went through about 4-5 owners since. Each time the inventory  equipment tooling etc was reduced.

Irrespective You got a cool project  

Hi Michael, just dug his details up, his name is Deane Preston. I can't remember how he was associated with McRae. He had the jigs

Edited by rafikdous

once the two side bars were removed, we were able to get the body on the chassis

2014_12_05_16_01_56.jpg

2014_12_05_16_02_05.jpg

A little more clearance was needed on the front to clear the chassis rails

2014_12_05_16_02_57.jpg

And also the same around the back

2014_12_05_16_19_30.jpg

Now the body sits nicely and the wheels are centered

2014_12_05_17_21_42.jpg

2014_12_05_17_37_36.jpg

And here is me having a "test drive"

2014_12_05_17_22_45.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_7468.jpgSpent few hours helping at the panelshop today. Basically trying to get the body gaps correct

the rear frame just behind the firewall was fouling the body right at the top, not by much but enough to make the gap between the main body and the rear panel be around 5mm

so we had to lift the body of the chassis and move it forward to get enough spa e

then sliced the top of the frame on an angle to gain about 5mm space at the top

here is the before and after slicing it

IMG_7474.jpg

Then welded it

IMG_7479.jpg

And cleaned

IMG_7482.jpg

We remounted the body and adjusted the gap. It's 3mm all around now

then moved on to positioning the engine/gearbox before welding in the mounts

the angle of the driveshafts are a little steep for my liking but I am not sure yet

IMG_7484.jpg

Edited by rafikdous

LHD - didn't notice . I'll dig out my info. McRae was in process of doing a U.S. deal when things went pear shaped. I'm aware a couple of LHD chassis/bodies  were made, though I'm surprised you were having chassis body fit issues 

nice progress, suspect many a scoffer on Porsche replicas and other kits would want a piece of this cherry pie 

though I'm surprised you were having chassis body fit issues 

it was less than 3 or 4mm so not much to speak of. Could've used it as is but I wasn't entirely happy with the gap

Craig, the plan is to keep it black for the time being 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

we've been playing with the engine/gearbox position till we got it to a position where we were happy with. It required slightly trimming the firewall to allow me to keep the 914 cooling

Then we moved to the drive shafts. The original 914 ones are too long for the 550 track. Tried few VW ones but nothing worked without having to make spacers. So I ordered new ones from the USA made to size

IMG_7969.jpg

These babies will utilize the 914 CV joints and also have a longer spline length to allow more CV joint travel

In this picture, you can see how they are about an inch shorter than the originals

IMG_7881.jpg

Then we moved to the rear gearbox mounting. Here is what we made so far

The engine/gearbox on a 550 cannot be dropped down because of the frame horns, they have to be lifted up. That's why we decided to have the gearbox mount brace from underneath

I've seen some cars with the bracing running diagonally to the shocker towers. They cluttered the engine bay and looked quite damn ugly

IMG_7964.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

IMG_7967.jpg

Next step will be fitting the exhaust and see what mods will be needed

Edited by rafikdous