996 C2 Manual Coupe Values

4 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Probably not an experienced P mechanic then????  For the sake of $1000 or so for a bearing why wouldn;t you have done it with the engine out of the car???

Ha, that's exactly what I told him. Assuming that someone buys it for the asking price (or close to it) and then spends the extra 4k on the bearing, 51 ish still seems like a decent price for a manual?

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Aircon said:

I'd be expecting to buy a 3.6 for that money, and even then I'd consider it expensive.

That's interesting you say that, as I was just going on what member Taffy suggested with the following price guide:

1. -          0.1 Cab tip has to be the bottom (i have one so no offence to anyone) (35K+)
  2. -          0.2 Cab tip (40K+)
  3. -          0.1 coupe tip (40-45K +)
  4. -          0.1 Cab manual (40-45K+)
  5. -          0.2 Targa Tip (55K+ but not seen many)
  6. -          0.2 Cab manual (55-65K+)
  7. -          0.2 Coupe tip (50K+)
  8. -          0.2 Targa manual (Not really seen many...)
  9. -          0.1 coupe manual (60K+)
  10. -          0.2 coupe manual (65-70K+)

Are you saying he is way off the mark, as I don't have enough experience with the pricing to argue against that?

3 hours ago, Renz said:

That's interesting you say that, as I was just going on what member Taffy suggested with the following price guide:

1. -          0.1 Cab tip has to be the bottom (i have one so no offence to anyone) (35K+)

Are you saying he is way off the mark, as I don't have enough experience with the pricing to argue against that?

I firmly disagree with 9 and 10. I've never had any interest in any of the others. Also, the prices vary by a huge amount depending on mileage.

My personal experience is buying a close to immaculate 996.2 with 140,000km for $42,000 3 years ago and selling it one year ago with 165,000km for $44,000. Needed a clutch and IMS, but mileage made it hard to sell. Perfect history though.

But, regardless of mileage, $60k+ for any 996 is dreamland IMO ...that's approaching 997.1 territory.

I got all paranoid as well when I first bought my 04 / C2 about IMS bearings from watching too many hysterical yanks on YouTube.

Get over to 911uk for another angle on the whole affair. Next clutch I'm going to get the outer seal removed and that's it.

I can't believe the C2's are getting to the $60k mark to be honest. Oh and if do have a look at uk911 we pay more than double for similar cars listed over there.

We do have an advantage with the weather not eating our cars though.

I think i read the thread and replied to about 10 posts in one..

Jim.

10 minutes ago, Aircon said:

But, regardless of mileage, $60k+ for any 996 is dreamland IMO ...that's approaching 997.1 territory.

Pretty sure @TrevMcRev sold his 996.2 for >$60k about a year ago with ease

1 minute ago, D2000 said:

Possible...there's a sucker born every minute. Good luck to him!! I tried and tried and got offered MUCH less than I finally got.

44 minutes ago, Aircon said:

Possible...there's a sucker born every minute. Good luck to him!! I tried and tried and got offered MUCH less than I finally got.

A search of car sales would say the market is higher (at least in advertised prices) then you (and me for that matter!) might think: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/porsche/911carrera/996-series/?sortby=Price&offset=0&setype=sort&limit=24

The list was a rough guide to what i had seen while looking for my car, there are too many factors with these cars to be honest to have a narrow band price list. Mine was less then what i noted above due to those factors but again i would pay more if it was "the" car.

In a scary thing i just noticed was that my car costs the wrong side of $205K new.. ouch. Red book says 33-39K now.

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/1999-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-auto/SPOT-ITM-267763/

As said earlier by @PhilH, the car is only as much as you want to pay for it.

Edit:

And to put one outside of that list but i would get... https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2002/SSE-AD-5490795/?Cr=19

Ticks what i would be hunting 996.2, heated seats, porsche body kit, coilovers, etc etc. All for <$60K. But i am sure others will hate it..... and i read its an import after posting this.

1 hour ago, Aircon said:

Auto - maybe

Manual - No

997 - coupe - manual's start at 84k (asking price) so 60k for a 996 manual is (IMO) a reality.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/porsche/911carrera/997-series/coupe-bodystyle/manual-transmission/?sortby=~Price&amp;offset=0&amp;setype=sort&amp;area=Stock&amp;vertical=car&amp;WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

6 hours ago, Renz said:

Ha, that's exactly what I told him. Assuming that someone buys it for the asking price (or close to it) and then spends the extra 4k on the bearing, 51 ish still seems like a decent price for a manual?

I’ve had that saved on CS too thanks for the info ?.

I reckon I’ll need to spend $60k on a 996 and if I go 997 $80-85k.

I’m after a manual, silver or black.

A lot of these have been sitting for ages. One sold after a few weeks advertised for $71k. It had high-ish km from memory but looked good from the photos. 

42 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

1 minute ago, JWM said:

And they’ve been sitting for ages. One sold after a few weeks advertised for $71k. It had high-ish km from memory but looked good from the photos. 

So there is still a 10k+ gap between a very good 996 and a bottom end (high kms) 997.

That still supports 996s being potentially 60k. 

6 hours ago, Renz said:

2 hours ago, D2000 said:

Taffy's list is about right imo and yes Trev sold his, $60 plus in about 3 days about year and half ago and was a lovely example in silver and average ks.. was offered $69 off the bat for mine by old mate 2 days back and I hadn't even started kicking him up a bit!

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, Troubleshooter said:

Taffy's list is about right imo and yes Trev sold his, $60 plus in about 3 days about year and half ago and was a lovely example in silver and average ks.. was offered $69 off the bat for mine by old mate 2 days back and I hadn't even started kicking him up a bit!

Cool...what's the spec on your 911 mate?

Cheers,

Dave.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:31 PM, Aircon said:

More than possible. Bought mid 2012 for $65k, Listed mid 2016 for $65k... $10k more than any other at the time. Because why not. Don't ask you don't get.

Sold within the week for $62k (after PPI with reduction to cover IMS) . 

Good car. Good history. Good photos. Good ad copywriting.

Not to mention 6 months of priming the market with posts on here about how good the 996 model is! 

The buyer was not a sucker. He was an astute porsche buyer who knew what he wanted. Smart enough to have rode the rise in his 993 and exit it at the right time to upgrade to a 996 for 1/2 the price.

If I had the car now it would be $70k. Or more...

Some people want to buy the best Porsche of it's type on the market, some want to buy the cheapest... which buyer persona do you want to aim your sale at?

49 minutes ago, TrevMcRev said:

More than possible. Bought mid 2012 for $65k, Listed mid 2016 for $65k... $10k more than any other at the time. Because why not. Don't ask you don't get.

Sold within the week for $62k (after PPI with reduction to cover IMS) . 

Good car. Good history. Good photos. Good ad copywriting.

Not to mention 6 months of priming the market with posts on here about how good the 996 model is! 

The buyer was not a sucker. He was an astute porsche buyer who knew what he wanted. Smart enough to have rode the rise in his 993 and exit it at the right time to upgrade to a 996 for 1/2 the price.

If I had the car now it would be $70k. Or more...

Some people want to buy the best Porsche of it's type on the market, some want to buy the cheapest... which buyer persona do you want to aim your sale at?

Good....so I was right, then.

On 6/26/2018 at 6:17 PM, Aircon said:

I firmly disagree with 9 and 10. I've never had any interest in any of the others. Also, the prices vary by a huge amount depending on mileage.

My personal experience is buying a close to immaculate 996.2 with 140,000km for $42,000 3 years ago and selling it one year ago with 165,000km for $44,000. Needed a clutch and IMS, but mileage made it hard to sell. Perfect history though.

When looking for my first Porsche in November 2017 there was a black manual 996 cabriolet with around 50k to 60k kms at the local dealer and asking was 60k. Looked immaculate so I went there the next morning and it had sold already. Sold in a day so you have to assume they paid asking or near on. Ended up buying a poor conditioned black 997.1c2s manual with Sports Chrono and 116,000kms for 78k that needed $3500 of servicing and repairs plus additional interior work. (Advertised for 85k) On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being concourse it was a 4. I missed out on three prior with similar specs and offered subject to ppi on second day advertised. That would have to be the cheapest private or dealer sale in the last 12 months for a manual 997S anything unless someone bought something in worse condition?

16 minutes ago, Pokiou said:

i bought mine 2 years ago... 40k on the road. I cant express how happy i am with the car and with my purchase.

That's the right number! 

Archived