Exhaust Upgrade for a Hotrod

Philbee

• 4 months later...

The vids ive posted above dont really highlight the difference as im a bit shy around the neighbours here at home, theres an elderly couple next door....  but to give you some further insight the MK exhaust is 5 times louder (?) & angrier sounding than my stock system i had. At full roar its echoes a mile away.... just what the doctor ordered! The cars stock exhaust felt (& sounded) way too docile for the RS badge stuck on the back. And I really love the angry tarmac rally car sound. And M&K delivers on that front big time.

The car now drives differently as well, apart from the sound. The loud pedal is more responsive, the car feels more lively and has more a get up and go. As a result of the bewt sound I find myself downshifting more as I hit a corner and that helps my performance overall too. ( was a bit lazier with the quieter feedback). The better air flow overall has given the car an extra boost too i feel, it definitely feels a bit more powerful... 10hp maybe?

I picked M&K over the SSI/Dansk soln as I read some conflicting reviews on 3.6 engines being restricted with SSIs that might be more tuned for 3.0 & 3.2 cars... As mine is a 3.6, i only heard good things for my setup with MK.

I highly recommend for any G-body car if you want a bit more sound and more hotrod sound. But note, its loud and not a moderate update on the sound front!!  😉

Heres the site, select 'products' then 'M&K 911 products :

http://www.rarlyl8.com/home.html

My muffler is the MKM27 - 2 in, 1 out

My headers are the "tuned long tube headers'.

Email: rarlyl8@yahoo.com

RarlyL8 Motorsports / M&K Exhaust

ph: 0011 1 (256)536-9977

Alabama USA

Note: Brian is very contactable and replied to all my emails....

philbee

😁

59 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I highly recommend for any G-body car if you want a bit more sound and more hotrod sound. But note, its loud and not a moderate update on the sound front!!  😉

So what I gather from this is it sounds fantastic, but not something you want to road trip in for hours at a time?

2 hours ago, MFX said:

So what I gather from this is it sounds fantastic, but not something you want to road trip in for hours at a time?

Yes, I love it, definitely fantastic for me.

It is a bit louder in the cabin at constant speed but is quite reasonable I feel, ok for longer trips. It’s when you put your foot down or downshift is when the sound jumps up a notch...

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

What was the damage to your wallet (ballpark) for this upgrade?

Would you recommend M&K for 3.0 engines as well? 

The pricing is on the website for the muffler and the headers.... it cost me about $400 in taxes and the install was sub 1k.

would I recommend? Yes, of course but just check with Brian as my headers were specifically (at least I think they were) for a 3.6, that is the primary and secondary collectors inner diameters were a little bigger than SSI headers which are definitely good for 3.0 & 3.2 as an alternate great set of headers.

17 minutes ago, Philbee said:

The pricing is on the website for the muffler and the headers.... it cost me about $400 in taxes and the install was sub 1k.

would I recommend? Yes, of course but just check with Brian as my headers were specifically (at least I think they were) for a 3.6, that is the primary and secondary collectors inner diameters were a little bigger than SSI headers which are definitely good for 3.0 & 3.2 as an alternate great set of headers.

Cool, thanka for the pointers