My name is Hugh and I have a problem..............

I currently require storage for at least 1-2 cars and have been enquiring with the various companies that offer month by month storage solutions. The quotes received have me questioning the value, realistically I could lease a small warehouse space for not a great deal more. The questions I have though are in regards to security? I understand most of the more well known companies have this covered whereas if I am to lease a factory/warehouse space of my own I would need to look at the various options available.

I understand that other members on here store (long & short term) cars in "off site" storage locations and I am wondering what level of security do you consider necessary - cameras, lazer beams, dogs with bees in their mouths?

Any advice and/or feedback would be appreciated. It would be possible that there maybe up to 4-5 cars there at any one time. I don't expect to be there very often, maybe only once a week to check in and pick up/drop off something.

Thanks in advance!  

dcfc3329bdbc8c42510e1c87e379f9ed_zpsop2t

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently require storage for at least 1-2 cars and have been enquiring with the various companies that offer month by month storage solutions. The quotes received have me questioning the value, realistically I could lease a small warehouse space for not a great deal more. The questions I have though are in regards to security? I understand most of the more well known companies have this covered whereas if I am to lease a factory/warehouse space of my own I would need to look at the various options available.

I understand that other members on here store (long & short term) cars in "off site" storage locations and I am wondering what level of security do you consider necessary - cameras, lazer beams, dogs with bees in their mouths?

Any advice and/or feedback would be appreciated. It would be possible that there maybe up to 4-5 cars there at any one time. I don't expect to be there very often, maybe only once a week to check in and pick up/drop off something.

Thanks in advance!  

I have the same issue as you, Hugh. I'm going to move 3 x 911 into storage and its more economical to rent say a 120sqm warehouse than storing it in commercial facilities.

I like you would look for the following:

• No street facing units;
  • No glass for the office (must be barred if unavoidable)
  • Alarm system (many run on sim cards and do not require a phone line;
  • In ground bollard;
  • Motion detector lights
  • The rest is obvious like good quality doors, roller doors, padlocks  

I've been thinking about this kind of thing for a while now. What we need is an architect or two to come up with a layout that utilises the space effectively. Maybe some additional storage for all those Saab spare parts. 

I rent a 6m x 3m unit for my surplus crap at $50 a week. It's fully fenced, with alarm in each unit. Has a light, but no powerpoints.  You can get  contents insurance that's specially designed for storage units.

Thanks in advance!  

I have a small (150 sqm)  factory.

Locked gate, bollard out front. Roll a door with 2 bollards inside that secure to the roll a door. Monitored alarm, camera's and video feed/alert to my iPhone.

I use 3 stackers which takes up 40% of the floor space  with the rest being used for on ground car storage. 

I own it but if I had to lease it, rent would be around 18k per year plus outgoings.  

Pain in the arse if the car you want us on the far right stacker, top shelf.  I know, you e all headed for the Kleenex box in sympathy!

I've currently got room for 5 at home, 2 x daily's under a carport and the garage x 3 (via a hoist). My choices are;

- Add an additional hoist to include 4 x cars in the garage. The garage would then become a car storage unit only (no additional room for parts, bench etc.)

- Extend my garage to accommodate a 3rd bay. I would still add a hoist so 2 x bays with hoist, 1 x clear bay = room for 5 cars. Downside is I would be taking 2-3m out of my rear yard.

- 3rd option is to purchase a warehouse but I'm concerned that it will drive me nuts not having all my cars here at home (I would most likely keep at least one here). My idea to lease a warehouse is in some ways to test this theory and to work out if the necessary forward planning (allow additional travel time to pick up/swap cars around) will give me the poops. 

I hear you @Skidmarks first world problem indeed.................

Thanks for the feedback so far, I guess you can never be too careful re: security when our precious metal is concerned. 

Remember I have 2 spare spaces........free.  I'm sure a quick squirt up Arthur's seat one morning a month can only be good for them, no extra charge ?

Somehow I think you've forgotten how to count.  Red C3, black GT3, there's 2, 964 is gone.......has the collection grown, Is there something you are not sharing with your forum brethren?  Have you shaken the P tree and found some fresh fruit?

As you know i've been looking into the same mate - have come across these which would be great for security video/alerts http://arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-go/default.aspx 

I have the network versions at home which are great, but these ones run off mobile network and batteries. Require some maintenance and i assume a decent data cost - but great idea.

Is Yarraville to far to travel for storage....?

If you are considering the efficacy & efficiency of your options/choices for "security" in your 911 warehouse/ storage spaces etc spend all your money on stopping the grubs getting in rather than alerting you once they are in there going through your car/ gear.  

Most "back to base" alarm monitoring consists of a bloke with questionable hygiene sitting behind a bank of monitors who when he sees an alarm puts a leisurely call in to the local Police who depending on the jobs they are at may not get there for hours (literally). 

Security monitoring companies have no priority phone line (unless they call triple 0 when they will be told to rack off & get hung up on) to get through to Police.  Unless you are very lucky that the Security guy sees the alarm asap, calls the local Police Comms asap & gets through asap & there is a patrol car free & actually close & gets given a priority to travel lights & sirens & the grubs don't blast away from the scene as they turn up in your flash 911 driving recklessly so that the CommCo calls off the pursuit etc, etc, etc.  Most security cars you see driving around are instructed not to confront offenders but to just gather visual evidence & provide a statement to the Bulls when they arrive. 

Stop the grubs getting in by investing in very bright sensor lights, very sturdy window bars & steel security grills (don't neglect the door jams), solid core triple lock doors, & bollards.  The harder it LOOKS the quicker they move on to easier targets.  People ignore alarms these days & the gubs know the response times generally favour them.

Just my 2c worth (bit it's an informed 2c).  Went to lots of jobs in ritzy suburbs were people spent a lot of money on security alarms & monitoring & were flabbergasted at how they failed them when they needed them most.

Extend. Nothing beats having all the toys where you live.

I've got a 300m^2 barn not 300m from my house and I can rarely be stuffed to go up there. Hate to think how bad I'd be if it was in the next suburb.

I've got 2 x 4 car garages here and it rocks.

..... Went to lots of jobs in ritzy suburbs .....

As the perpetrator ? :ph34r:

I call the cameras "Evidence Cameras" as they will usually give you a grainy picture of some hooded dude (or dude-ess) driving your car away.  At least the camera will get the registration plate......oh wait.

I've seriously considered buying a unit locally with a couple of mates for the exact reason you've got @hugh, I only have one garage space here and 3 carport spots so the 911 sits outside under one of the carports. Problem is, I can park another 4 cars at least on the drive and keep being sorely tempted by classic Range Rovers and the like :rolleyes:. Looked at a couple in Ferntree Gully last weekend, proper old solid brick buildings, one already with a couple of hoists in it and 2 storeys of storage...

What I do know though is that unless it was *very* close by I'd rarely go there and I'd be paranoid about security. Friend of ours has just recently put a deposit on a brand new unit in Carrum Downs to store his cars (Cobra & Mustang) plus soon to arrive Winnebago and all his other toys after he downsized from Patterson Lakes, I believe the unit was sub $300k so to me , that's pretty good. I do keep looking at that Mancave Storage place in Moorabbin but I think the buy in there is just a bit too high compared to buying a unit outright, however the security aspect is a good selling point so it's horses for courses I guess. The warehouse in Moorabbin I found my 911 in is now a storage place, $50 a week. It's as rough as guts though, too risky for me.

Extend your current garage and chuck in another lift, unless that's overdoing your house a little. Having the cars there and accessible isn't to be sniffed at, you'll use them if they're there.

As the perpetrator ? :ph34r:

I call the cameras "Evidence Cameras" as they will usually give you a grainy picture of some hooded dude (or dude-ess) driving your car away.  At least the camera will get the registration plate......oh wait.

Only way to get an affordable 911 these days my friend. By the way what's your address?????

Cameras are generally a waste of time..... UNLESS you've invested in a high quality system that gives a nice clear (multiple angle) picture of the grub & his clothing (catch lots of crims with their faces covered by matching the clothes they wear during the job), AND a system that can be immediately reviewed, downloaded & given to the Police.  You have no idea the amount of video security systems that can only be accessed by the "company technicians" with the right passwords & retrieval software after being paid an exorbitant site visit fee.  The days it generally takes for them to arrive, access & forward the evidence means lots of lost time to the Fuzz.   

If you are considering the efficacy & efficiency of your options/choices for "security" in your 911 warehouse/ storage spaces etc spend all your money on stopping the grubs getting in rather than alerting you once they are in there going through your car/ gear.  

our office was broken into last year.  They had no qualms about being on camera (cue hoodie), they managed to get onto the roof and with crude blunt instruments smashed their way through laser light panels in the roof, dropped through the roof, crashed through the grid ceiling (setting off the alarm) and cleaned us out of minor cash in workstation drawers as well as laptops, MSSurface, spare phones etc.  security called to alert me of the alarm trigger so I told them to send a patrol.  Patrol pulls up out the front, nothing untoward.  Drives around the back, getaway car idling with a guy sitting in it (while his feral mates are inside).  He casually drives of.  Security patrol thinks that's the end of the story and drives away - didn't bother to look inside (scared or stupid?).  Next morning we discover the break in.  Security guy has the car details but turns out to be stolen (no surprise).  Nothing cops can do.  cops reckon it was not planned, probably ice heads driving around looking for something to steal, stumbled across the secluded rear yard area so they decided to have a go at smashing their way in.  If it was planned they would have come with tools.

now substitute insured, replaceable IT devices with a cherished P car.  Keeping them under your nose is much preferred.

The security guards are not paid much hence take no risks.  Plus they are unarmed & as you say- aren't the brightest bulbs in the packet.  

Most breaks are opportunistic in that the grubs just scurry around looking for a place to get in- like 'roaches.  Not much planning involved- absolutely right re the tools - though most grubs don't carry tools anymore as it is a red flag to a patrol that pulls them for a street check.  

There is little the cops can do without a reasonable line of investigation.  Security footage is good if it's good.  Not much you can do if they are serious about getting in through the ceiling though.

I had a case where my credit cards were used at a number of different servos in one night after being stolen from my hotel room I was sleeping in.    Hotel security cam saw nothing (which means the managers could not be bothered looking) and all the servos that night had issues with their security systems (must be mates).

I received the call from the remote country police station months later saying they have no information on who did it.

Ill tempered sea bass?

Sharks with freaken lazer beams on their heads :lol:

Seriously Hugh, you also need to consider your time going 'to and from' into the equation. Me personally this alone would be an arse ache and catalyst to renovate existing.

You then have the option of starting with a blank page.....

I had a case where my credit cards were used at a number of different servos in one night after being stolen from my hotel room I was sleeping in.    Hotel security cam saw nothing (which means the managers could not be bothered looking) and all the servos that night had issues with their security systems (must be mates).

I received the call from the remote country police station months later saying they have no information on who did it.

My money is on the three Filipino hookers or the gimp in the leather mask

With the price of factory units sky high as well. Whats a small unit (200m^2)? $400k? My underground 80m^2 batcave cost way less than that. I dare say depending on soils you could build a 200m^2 underground garage (of course site and council dependant) for similar money. My 100m^2 4 car free standing garage was <$100k with an attic.

Tonnes of options if you have the space.

I can see the benefits if you need to get your super fund involved though....

Sounds like you guys need a PFA group buy on a warehouse. Fill it with stackers (and dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you) and rent out available space to paying customers

Archived