981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

On 30/03/2017 at 5:16 PM, 981KMan said:

Could anyone please let me know roughly how many units were sold of the 981 Cayman S manual vs base manual vs PDK vs GTS between 2012-2016?

Hi 981KMan,

I'm brand new to this forum and am interested if you got a response to your question above?

Background... I traded my 987.2 PDK for a 981S Manual. I'm Melbourne based but the vehicle was in Sydney. I, like you, struggle to find many S Manuals for sale. I asked the same question at Porsche Brighton last weekend but have no answer yet.

BTW, mine is Dark Blue Metallic with a stack of options - 20", PSE, PASM, PTV, & more. Did you resolve your hunt of just go for the GTS?

Cheers  

On 21/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, Oldknees said:

Talking to the dealer today. 911 market really strong. 718's difficult to shift

I was told the same thing about 718's last weekend by a dealer.

12 minutes ago, Brendan Keenan said:

Hi 981KMan,

I'm brand new to this forum and am interested if you got a response to your question above?

Background... I traded my 987.2 PDK for a 981S Manual. I'm Melbourne based but the vehicle was in Sydney. I, like you, struggle to find many S Manuals for sale. I asked the same question at Porsche Brighton last weekend but have no answer yet.

BTW, mine is Dark Blue Metallic with a stack of options - 20", PSE, PASM, PTV, & more. Did you resolve your hunt of just go for the GTS?

Cheers  

I was told the same thing about 718's last weekend by a dealer.

Hi Brendan, welcome to the forum mate! Nope, I never have gotten a proper answer from any dealers I spoke to. I don't know if they know the numbers or aren't allowed to tell me but all of them say they are very rare... i.e. hen's teeth / unicorns. Most say they're often sold before they even hit the market or only about 1% S's were manual, and then talk to me about the GT4 LOL... 

Congrats on the 981S manual!!! I'm wondering if you got the one from Scuderia Graziani by any chance? That was a fully loaded one like you're describing and a few of us were eyeing it :) It's the only one that came up in over a year. 

I am still searching :( I think I will need to go for a GTS which I would prefer but I'll have to wait 'til the price drops on those before the wife lets me... If a base manual model came up, I might just pull the trigger as I'm sick of the wait. They are much more "common". How are you enjoying your 981S manual??? :D

Hey 981KMan,

It's so strange. It seems possible to get sales info from US and Canada, but not locally. I'll go back to my guy at Brighton and see if he has an answer. Will keep you updated. Certainly I don't recall any for sale pre-July. I stated to look at 993's and when I drifted back to the 981, the one at Scuderia Graziani had popped up. I jumped on it sight unseen. I have not seen a manual S since. Front bumper and side skirts have had a little wear but I'm in the process of getting that sorted. 100% good mechanically.

I must say I absolutely love the manual. The PDK is excellent but I only do 1x city drive per week and avoid the peak travel. The manual just gives you so much more and it's as close as I can get to the feeling those guys might experience in their older G's, 964's and 993's. There is a dude in the US, on youtube with the same colour (pdk) and carbon ceramic brakes. I loved that colour and couldn't resist. Believe me, I've had my fill of paying stamp duty lately. My sister lives in the hills and I was driving off the mountain last Saturday around 8pm. Had only one roadblock right near the bottom. Had a real chance to let is sing and do it's stuff  - magic.  

Wow, how's the upsell? Salesman goes from S to GT4!! Gigantic leap there and not too practical I expect. I met the owner of a beautiful Carmine Red GTS with 20" blacks (was PDK) last weekend. Purchased new. A very special car (see below).

Final Q - do people on this site go by abbreviated signatures instead of full name?

Cheers

side x side.pdf

19 minutes ago, Brendan Keenan said:

Hey 981KMan,

It's so strange. It seems possible to get sales info from US and Canada, but not locally. I'll go back to my guy at Brighton and see if he has an answer. Will keep you updated. Certainly I don't recall any for sale pre-July. I stated to look at 993's and when I drifted back to the 981, the one at Scuderia Graziani had popped up. I jumped on it sight unseen. I have not seen a manual S since. Front bumper and side skirts have had a little wear but I'm in the process of getting that sorted. 100% good mechanically.

I must say I absolutely love the manual. The PDK is excellent but I only do 1x city drive per week and avoid the peak travel. The manual just gives you so much more and it's as close as I can get to the feeling those guys might experience in their older G's, 964's and 993's. There is a dude in the US, on youtube with the same colour (pdk) and carbon ceramic brakes. I loved that colour and couldn't resist. Believe me, I've had my fill of paying stamp duty lately. My sister lives in the hills and I was driving off the mountain last Saturday around 8pm. Had only one roadblock right near the bottom. Had a real chance to let is sing and do it's stuff  - magic.  

Wow, how's the upsell? Salesman goes from S to GT4!! Gigantic leap there and not too practical I expect. I met the owner of a beautiful Carmine Red GTS with 20" blacks (was PDK) last weekend. Purchased new. A very special car (see below).

Final Q - do people on this site go by abbreviated signatures instead of full name?

Cheers

side x side.pdf

That looks like Guards Red in the photo :)

Manual is the best driving experience for sure.

1 hour ago, Brendan Keenan said:

Hey 981KMan,

Cheers

side x side.pdf

Thanks Brendan, that would be great if you find out! There seems to be stats on the GTSs but not the base and S models. Maybe it's all hush hush. That's right, your manual S has been the only one I've seen on the market :) Glad you are loving it!!! 

Haha yep... S -> GT4 is usually the suggestion (or a 911) since I want a red manual car and there are usually no manual GTSs in my price range either. That colour combo with the carmine red and black 20" would be my dream combo. Hopefully I can pull up mine as the third next to yours in that pic! Looks great!

And yes, most people use a handle/nickname of some sort rather than their full names. You could probably change it if you wanted to in your account settings :) 

On 18/04/2017 at 6:57 PM, 981KMan said:

Welcome @nytelfer! Absolutely brilliant that you found it after 3 years of searching, GEE that is a long time! I guess I'd better be prepared to be in it for the long haul. At least it will keep the missus happy for longer :P I think I might know the one that you ended up with. Was it the one with the yachting blue interior by any chance? I saw white one in a PDK with all those options (beautifully specced car) and it sold recently. Congrats - well deserved for holding out and I bet you were grinning ear to ear when going on that first joyride!!!

Hey (David),

I just found this thread (above). I have just twigged to the car you may have bought. I do remember a White S with maxed out options. Yes blue leather and white painted rear diffuser and side vents (and more)... is that the one? It was an absolute corker if so. Well done. 

On 18/12/2017 at 9:16 PM, MrMud said:

981KMan

Just touching base on manual S stats. Called my guy at Brighton yesterday. No response. Had to drop in today and discovered my guy is in the USA for a week. Asked a new bloke who is going to look into it. Will keep you updated.

B

Thanks @MrMud, much appreciated!! :) Will be a big help as to whether to wait for a manual S or just jump on whatever else manual comes up. 

Courtesy of a few 981 GTS sellers including @NBTBRV8
90 - 95 GTSs sold
10 manual
3 in Guards red   (1 looks to have been written off)

That's about all I have. The rest is anecdotal. 

On 18/12/2017 at 9:49 PM, MrMud said:

I jjust found this thread (above). I have just twigged to the car you may have bought. I do remember a White S with maxed out options. Yes blue leather and white painted rear diffuser and side vents (and more)... is that the one? It was an absolute corker if so. Well done. 

MrMud,

Yes, that is my car. The seller’s Carsales listing mentioned my “must have” options and some I had never really considered in my many hours on the configurator. One of my sons came along to inspect the car and he picked up some of the less conspicuous options (extended leather etc.) which proved helpful later that day when negotiating price - I was somewhat overwhelmed by the sense of “I think this may be the one”. When the detailed specification arrived from PCA, I realised I had purchased what is likely one of the most heavily optioned Cayman’s in the country.

David

Hi Guys, I bought my manual S 981 about a year ago from Porsche South Sydney and at the time there were 2 manuals to choose from, both $130k drive away with around 25kms. As has been mentioned there has only been 1 manual S come on the market in nearly 12 months since that I can remember.I even had a call from Autohaus asking if i would be interested in selling but having owned a 993, 964.997 and an SC this car ticks all the boxes and is without doubt the best I have driven in terms of power, handling sound etc.

It would be interesting to see the actual manual 981 numbers sold in Australia but according to Piston Heads UK Forums which Im not sure are correct but the numbers for the Cayman S sold in the UK are as follows-

2013-2016

PDK 1145

MANUAL 218

TOTAL 1363

33 minutes ago, jamo5468 said:

Hi Guys, I bought my manual S 981 about a year ago from Porsche South Sydney and at the time there were 2 manuals to choose from, both $130k drive away with around 25kms. As has been mentioned there has only been 1 manual S come on the market in nearly 12 months since that I can remember.I even had a call from Autohaus asking if i would be interested in selling but having owned a 993, 964.997 and an SC this car ticks all the boxes and is without doubt the best I have driven in terms of power, handling sound etc.

It would be interesting to see the actual manual 981 numbers sold in Australia but according to Piston Heads UK Forums which Im not sure are correct but the numbers for the Cayman S sold in the UK are as follows-

2013-2016

PDK 1145

MANUAL 218

TOTAL 1363

Whoa! Welcome @jamo5468! This might be the only thread in Australia where all manual 981 S drivers congregate LOL. You're all starting to pop up now :D

I am very jealous!! What's the spec/colour of your car and do you remember what the other one was at PCSS?  I somehow completely missed those or maybe it was over 1 year ago as I'm sure I've been following the market longer than that... or maybe it just feels that long :P I think there will be a lot less manual here as looking at autotrader UK there seems to be a lot more manual cars.

Oh by the way, did you get that call from Autohaus maybe within the last 4 months or so? ;) 

Cheers

59 minutes ago, nytelfer said:

MrMud,

Yes, that is my car. The seller’s Carsales listing mentioned my “must have” options and some I had never really considered in my many hours on the configurator. One of my sons came along to inspect the car and he picked up some of the less conspicuous options (extended leather etc.) which proved helpful later that day when negotiating price - I was somewhat overwhelmed by the sense of “I think this may be the one”. When the detailed specification arrived from PCA, I realised I had purchased what is likely one of the most heavily optioned Cayman’s in the country.

David

David,

I couldn't agree with you more about the options. I was not quite ready to buy at that stage but was really looking hard at it. I reckon there were plenty of people trying to find a way to acquire it. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. 

Brendan

We have the base 981 Manual and I just cannot change the car it is just 2 good 

If you haven't driven the base back to back on the road do yourself a favor.

Note fun is not always measured in KW 

Just check out my track day videos and you will see sometime even KW doesn't make you faster on the track

26 minutes ago, 981KMan said:

Whoa! Welcome @jamo5468! This might be the only thread in Australia where all manual 981 S drivers congregate LOL. You're all starting to pop up now :D

I am very jealous!! What's the spec/colour of your car and do you remember what the other one was at PCSS?  I somehow completely missed those or maybe it was over 1 year ago as I'm sure I've been following the market longer than that... or maybe it just feels that long :P I think there will be a lot less manual here as looking at autotrader UK there seems to be a lot more manual cars.

Oh by the way, did you get that call from Autohaus maybe within the last 4 months or so? ;) 

Cheers

Hi Jamo,

Thanks for jumping into this post. The UK stats are worth noting. No doubt a lot less Manual S in Oz. I love the collection of past vehicles you've had and it's with much credibility that you say your Cayman is the best. I was looking at 993's but just couldn't ignore the modern day package. Imagine a dealer wanting to buy it.

1 minute ago, oldblade said:

We have the base 981 Manual and I just cannot change the car it is just 2 good 

If you haven't driven the base back to back on the road do yourself a favor.

Note fun is not always measured in KW 

Just check out my track day videos and you will see sometime even KW doesn't make you faster on the track

Howdy Oldblade, 

I hear ya and would love that opportunity. There were a few beauties I looked at along the way. How do I find your track video?

B

I probably should hang on to this one as all the others (SC, 964, and 993) have basically doubled in price since I sold them.(I should note the SC and 964 were Cabriolets but still seeing the prices achieved now causes me pain!).

981KMan, the 2 were White and Silver at the time of purchase and both had 20 inch Carrera S wheels Sports Exhaust, PASM. The Silver was gone in a week so I had no choice but the White!

11 hours ago, MrMud said:

Howdy Oldblade, 

I hear ya and would love that opportunity. There were a few beauties I looked at along the way. How do I find your track video?

Would love to see those track videos as well @oldblade :)  I'm considering the base as well, particularly if the numbers on the S manual are particularly rare. Not that the base is slow but people say it's fun to drive a lower powered car hard / fast than to not be able to use all the capability of a higher powered car. Only test driven a 981S manual boxster and maybe I fell in love with the manual part rather than the S bit, just felt like noticeably more torque compared to the 981 PDK base.

14 hours ago, MrMud said:

That's so interesting 981KMan,

One in Nine are manual. I would so love to get these numbers. Will stay on it.

Thank you!!! :)

11 hours ago, jamo5468 said:

I probably should hang on to this one as all the others (SC, 964, and 993) have basically doubled in price since I sold them.(I should note the SC and 964 were Cabriolets but still seeing the prices achieved now causes me pain!).

981KMan, the 2 were White and Silver at the time of purchase and both had 20 inch Carrera S wheels Sports Exhaust, PASM. The Silver was gone in a week so I had no choice but the White!

A mate of mine has a carrara white SC cab he's looking to get back on the road this Christmas holidays :) Think he's had it for over 10 years. Must be worth a lot from what I'm hearing!

Thanks @jamo5468. I'm relieved I didn't miss out on a red or black one. Great options, bit of a trifecta! Well, there's hope this Christmas that someone will trade up their manual 981 ;) Tis the season to be buying a new Porsche.

Yes Nm are down on the Base but thats what makes it fun keep the revs up and you get rewarded 

Here is one

32 minutes ago, 981KMan said:

Would love to see those track videos as well @oldblade :)  I'm considering the base as well, particularly if the numbers on the S manual are particularly rare. Not that the base is slow but people say it's fun to drive a lower powered car hard / fast than to not be able to use all the capability of a higher powered car. Only test driven a 981S manual boxster and maybe I fell in love with the manual part rather than the S bit, just felt like noticeably more torque compared to the 981 PDK base.

Thank you!!! :)

A mate of mine has a carrara white SC cab he's looking to get back on the road this Christmas holidays :) Think he's had it for over 10 years. Must be worth a lot from what I'm hearing!

Thanks @jamo5468. I'm relieved I didn't miss out on a red or black one. Great options, bit of a trifecta! Well, there's hope this Christmas that someone will trade up their manual 981 ;) Tis the season to be buying a new Porsche.

@jamo5468 @oldblade@NBTBRV8@981KMan

Hey Fellas,

I got an update on the number of Manual Cayman S sold in Australia today. I was provided with stats for the 2013 build (2014 on road). In the year there were 20 sold and 5 were manuals. I have asked if I could be provided the stats for ALL Manual 981 S sold in Australia. My guy is going to ask again but Christmas might get in the way of a response.

BTW, you may have seen this, but the first independent review of the 718 GTS is on YouTube. It's 3 weeks old so not exactly 'breaking news' here.

Also, nice driving with the top down @oldblade. A Porsche Club event in Sydney?

Cheers

53 minutes ago, MrMud said:

@jamo5468 @oldblade@NBTBRV8@981KMan

Hey Fellas,

I got an update on the number of Manual Cayman S sold in Australia today. I was provided with stats for the 2013 build (2014 on road). In the year there were 20 sold and 5 were manuals. I have asked if I could be provided the stats for ALL Manual 981 S sold in Australia. My guy is going to ask again but Christmas might get in the way of a response.

BTW, you may have seen this, but the first independent review of the 718 GTS is on YouTube. It's 3 weeks old so not exactly 'breaking news' here.

Also, nice driving with the top down @oldblade. A Porsche Club event in Sydney?

Cheers

Yeah Porsche Sydney days I do a few a year and there is nothing better then keeping up or overtaking GT3's with the top down :) in my hair dressers car

47 minutes ago, MrMud said:

Wow, thanks @MrMud! It's like cracking the Da Vinci Code. I'm really surprised so few Cayman Ss were sold considering how many PDK Ss are on the market. I suspect the stats for the following years should be much higher than that!

@oldblade Great video mate!!! Your tacho is just in view too, perfect!!! A shame that the wind noise blocks out the lovely exhaust note ;) That would have been epic.

1 hour ago, 981KMan said:

Wow, thanks @MrMud! It's like cracking the Da Vinci Code. I'm really surprised so few Cayman Ss were sold considering how many PDK Ss are on the market. I suspect the stats for the following years should be much higher than that!

@oldblade Great video mate!!! Your tacho is just in view too, perfect!!! A shame that the wind noise blocks out the lovely exhaust note ;) That would have been epic.

Thanks have a look on my youtube page I don't want to highjack this thread  I have a few videos with the roof up and a couple with the camera outside