981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

Because they are quoting it as a model year.  The US love to do this too.  The car has been built to the 2014 specification in 2013.

Precisely...Porsche along with other manufacturers have been doing this for decades

Its because of time lags between when cars are built and shipped and when they have the Australian compliance plate fitted.

My 993 was built in late 1996 but it did not arrive in Australia until January 97 which was when the compliance plate was attached. 

My GT4 was built in late October of 2015 and didn't arrive in Australia until Mid January of 2016 so the compliance plate shows 2016. This isn't dealer related its just the system of the compliance plate is dated the time it is affixed to the car.

It could possibly be also due to the UK. Registration plates change with the financial year, so a later plate makes your car look later EG a plate beginning with L is assumed to be affixed to an older car than a plate beginning with M. Plates stay with a car for their life unless a private plate is affixed

My car sold today, it is going to Melbourne.

The deal just fell through.  Despite the photo showing sports bucket seats and the ad stating it, today he wanted to check if the car was fitted with them, to which the dealer said yes, so he responded by saying he can't fit in them and backed out of the deal.  It is back on the market.

The deal just fell through.  Despite the photo showing sports bucket seats and the ad stating it, today he wanted to check if the car was fitted with them, to which the dealer said yes, so he responded by saying he can't fit in them and backed out of the deal.  It is back on the market.

I hope you kept some of the deposit to cover reselling costs and time wasted :PissedOff:

Its because of time lags between when cars are built and shipped and when they have the Australian compliance plate fitted.

My 993 was built in late 1996 but it did not arrive in Australia until January 97 which was when the compliance plate was attached. 

My GT4 was built in late October of 2015 and didn't arrive in Australia until Mid January of 2016 so the compliance plate shows 2016. This isn't dealer related its just the system of the compliance plate is dated the time it is affixed to the car.

These are 3 separate dates.  The build date, the compliance date and the MY date.  The MY date is a bit like the Financial Year, normally set around September based on the Northern Hemisphere summer holiday return.  So it is possible for a 2013 build, 2013 compliance (landing in Australia normally) and it being a MY14 specification. 

Here in Australia the compliance date is the one we work off.  On some slow moving cars like Astons, you can find this date could be a year or two apart, but the MY is still the older time window.

Don't we work off the build date?  Try trading in a car with Dec build and Feb compliance, you'll soon understand it's considered the earlier year car.

It is the compliance date, that is what Redbook works off.  The dealer will use your example to justify the price.

It is the compliance date, that is what Redbook works off.  The dealer will use your example to justify the price.

Redbook classifies by MY.  And as a buyer you'd defer to compliance date?  Why would the fact that a car took the slow boat or sat unsold under bond influence it's value in a positive sense?

The Cayman in the link earlier - is both built and complied in 2013. Really should be advertised as 2013MY14 - to advertise as a straight  2014 is pushing the envelope I think. Deceptive.

I just sold a OCT16 build Feb17 complied car. Sold it as a 2016MY17. Just purchased a Oct15 March 16 Car. Dealer sold it as a 2015 Car. As it should be in my opinion.

In NSW your rego is always going to go off the build date. 

Edited by Oldknees

The biggest problem is insurance.  When cars are written off the insurance company go by the build date when assessing market value.  As such the payout in a write off (when insured for market value) would be less.  For example I just reinsured my car.  It was built in 2014, registered in December 2014 but is a MY2015.  The market value quoted by one insurer when seeking quotes was $81K, based on the book value for a 2014 model.  I would not be able to buy my car for $81K.  As such I insured it for an agreed value of $100K with another company.

Given a build date of May13 it is very unlikely to be a MY14. The MY info is in the VIN number which if you had the rego number you can often look up but it seems some dodgy dealers do not want you knowing the VIN.

If that's the case Redracn - why would this Porsche dealer advertise it as a 2014? Maybe everyone should click the car sales enquiry and ask them. I suspect paying $50 to car sales for every enquiry may influence them to change the ad. 

Edited by Oldknees

The biggest problem is insurance.  When cars are written off the insurance company go by the build date when assessing market value.  As such the payout in a write off (when insured for market value) would be less.  For example I just reinsured my car.  It was built in 2014, registered in December 2014 but is a MY2015.  The market value quoted by one insurer when seeking quotes was $81K, based on the book value for a 2014 model.  I would not be able to buy my car for $81K.  As such I insured it for an agreed value of $100K with another company.

Your car is a 2014 car though.  It might be 2015 spec, but it was built and complied in 2014, so it is a 2014 car.

If that's the case Redracn - why would this Porsche dealer advertise it as a 2014? Maybe everyone should click the car sales enquiry and ask them. I suspect paying $50 to car sales for every enquiry may influence them to change the ad. 

Perhaps we should ask them for the VIN. Reality is that MY is just an attempt by the manufacturer to counteract the drop in value that occurs on the calendar year. It seems they have to some degree had an effect by changing the depreciation interval to 6 months. They seem to sell on the MY and buy on the build date. Compliance date is pretty much irrelevant. But in the end it is the build date that determines a cars actual age while MY is just a specification update to soften the blow. 

MY becomes more relevant to value when there is a complete generation change.

In some other brands there is not always the distinction of a new numbering system like Porsche use.

The last 987 and the first 981 could have been built as little as a day apart, and often in the same year - are they worth the same?

wow really? Crucial step before making any offer is made is to check the spec list and photos carefully, particularly with a Porsche.  Photos and ad text were both obvious. Don't know what that guy's deal is... 

@981KMan This car is meant for you.  Even the car sales gods will not allow anybody else to have it

i know I know... ? Timing is all wrong for me so pls let the car sales gods sell this to a great owner in Sydney who will just garage queen this for couple of years for me ;)