981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

Thats a lot of car for the money - you pay a little more for a Porsche approved used car but you get the warranty - plus you can extend that through 9 years, well worth it in my opinion. 987 is a fantastic car, you wont be dissapointed

I finished off purchasing this car - got them to extend the Porsche factory warranty to 2 years as part of the deal. Pretty happy with that. Haven’t driven a Manual for 7yrs. Hope it’s like riding a bike. Wife’s got a Macan with PDK - getting a manual prevents her from driving this! Had a 996 back in 2002. Made the mistake of buying the triptronic so that the wife could drive it. She drove it once! Never again. 

Congrats @Oldknees! Love the colour combo. I contemplated doing the same as you for a while but decided to hold out and wait for a 981. Driving manual is like walking ;) you are lucky your wife doesn't drive manual lol. When are you picking it up? You'll have to let us know how it is :)

As for the market, it is pretty quiet / slow at the moment. Cayman manuals and GTSs are pretty scarce at the moment (only 4 GTSs). There is a higher kms one manual GTS but of course it's dark blue metallic with tan interior ;)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2014/SSE-AD-4994402

Wonder how the new 718 GTS release will affect things...

Talking to the dealer today. 911 market really strong. 718's difficult to shift

That's consistent with what I'm seeing on Carsales. Lots of 911s being listed and sold reasonably quick, plenty of them in manual too! Lots of 718s being listed but taking a long time to sell - months on end :(

I visited Porsche Centre Brighton yesterday and it was interesting to see how many 718 models were in the showroom - from memory there was one 911 (Saphire Blue GTS), a couple of Panameras, a Macan, a Cayenne and four 718s. It was also interesting to note that some of these 718s were very highly optioned including a Lava Orange Boxster S for $191k and a Miami Blue Cayman (base model) for $164k. In my experience, it is rare to see highly optioned 718 models on the showroom floor with a PCD sales exec telling me they limit the no. of options on cars ordered for inventory.

Those 718s you mentioned sound like demo/press specs with those colours.

Here's a used $169.9k base 718 Cayman... They chose some odd options, don't know why they didn't get an S with the money... E.g. sports bucket seats??, black tailpipes, sport chrono, 20" wheels, pasm...
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-718-2017/OAG-AD-14966010

Those 718s you mentioned sound like demo/press specs with those colours.

Here's a used $169.9k base 718 Cayman... They chose some odd options, don't know why they didn't get an S with the money... E.g. sports bucket seats??, black tailpipes, sport chrono, 20" wheels, pasm...
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-718-2017/OAG-AD-14966010

It is weird that the last photo has GTS on the doors...

Hi 981KMan - yes, the spec on some of these looked more like press cars or demonstrators but in fact they were definitely unregistered new cars on the showroom floor (the demos were outside). PCB and PCD are both owned by the Preston Motor Group so the difference in approach between the two locations is interesting.

981 Boxsters, particular base models, have dropped. Average range from base to S is roughly $75k to $100k. 981 Base Caymans have dropped to a range of $85k - $100k, whereas the S market remains flat still around $110k - $125k so they seem to be holding value. Low km base 718s are falling into the 981 Cayman S range and below already. 

Also interesting to see the Guards Red Boxster GTS with the “981 homage pack” that has been for sale on Carsales in Adelaide for circa 12 months has now turned up at either PC Brighton or Doncaster in Melbourne with an asking price more than $30k above what was being asked privately!

Also interesting to see the Guards Red Boxster GTS with the “981 homage pack” that has been for sale on Carsales in Adelaide for circa 12 months has now turned up at either PC Brighton or Doncaster in Melbourne with an asking price more than $30k above what was being asked privately!

It appears to be at Doncaster.  They seem to get more "special/interesting" cars than Brighton do.

Drove my 987.2 Cayman back from the dealer in Melbourne to Newcastle last week (1100 km in one hit) - not a single corner on the Hume. Buy otherwise happy. 

Got the NSW plates on it now - had a good look at the car. Everything's fine except:

- Car advertised and on the contract of sale as having '19 inch Turbo  Wheels.'

Nope. 18's. They look like Boxster ii's that have been sprayed black.

Cost of Boxster S  ii's as an option in 2011 $2590

Cost of Turbo  $8370

Porsche Dealer - Porsche approved.

What would you do?

Drove my 987.2 Cayman back from the dealer in Melbourne to Newcastle last week (1100 km in one hit) - not a single corner on the Hume.

Cost of Turbo  $8370

What would you do?

Cruise control working ok? Looks like your going to clock up some kms.

Cruise control working ok? Looks like your going to clock up some kms.

Very boring drive. Unfortanately the Vic Roads temporary rego (car driven without plates) specifies point to point on shortest possible route - single journey only. Otherwise probably would have taken longer and gone through alpine way & the coast. 

But I digress. Wheels. Push the dealer for something?

If it was advertised with "this" and you got "that", i would be on the phone.

Do you mean your contract of sale or the original contract when it was new.

Contract of sale. I'm happy running 18's - but that's not the point. The 19's are worth significantly more. They have stuffed up the description. Thought I was buying a car with 19's. 

Contract of sale. I'm happy running 18's - but that's not the point. The 19's are worth significantly more. They have stuffed up the description. Thought I was buying a car with 19's. 

I think they'd argue it as innocent misrepresentation as it isn't really something they could lie about and hide from you given how obvious wheels are. Turbo wheels have a distinctive design and the tyre size shows the diameter of the wheels.

You can't really return the car because you have already paid stamp duty in NSW and registered the car which costs more than those wheels would be second hand. I'd just try to be nice to them and see if you can get something like an extra year of warranty or similar.

No - I'm happy with the car. No interest in returning it to them. A contract is a contract. Innocent misrepresentation is not a valid argument. If I was to play hardball - they would have to supply me with what is written on the contract. i.e. the advertised wheels and tyres. Hey - but I'll be nice.

• 2 weeks later...