981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

wow really? Crucial step before making any offer is made is to check the spec list and photos carefully, particularly with a Porsche.  Photos and ad text were both obvious. Don't know what that guy's deal is... 

i know I know... ? Timing is all wrong for me so pls let the car sales gods sell this to a great owner in Sydney who will just garage queen this for couple of years for me ;)

The guy who fell through on mine told the dealer that he wanted a manual and his wife wanted a PDK.  My guess is that he got over-ruled as the Carmine red PDK GTS with 4500 kms sold with a day or two of my deal falling through.

The guy who fell through on mine told the dealer that he wanted a manual and his wife wanted a PDK.  My guess is that he got over-ruled as the Carmine red PDK GTS with 4500 kms sold with a day or two of my deal falling through.

Yep.... I noticed that too! It was on the market for a relatively short time. 

Thanks guys made me rethink about PSE  & Chrono. 

@Oldknees
They're offering 4k+ off the asking price so you could possibly get away with your $110k maybe. Low kms and Porsche Approved but no PSE. There is PDK, Sports Chrono, PASM + PTV. Not sure if sapphire blue is your thing... and a lack of paddle shifters.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/OAG-AD-14679395?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Edited by 981KMan

Yes - got the same notice. The Brown one at PCSS has previously been offered at $119k drive away, I suspect this one will also follow the blue one in terms of pricing. Starting to make every private seller cayman s overpriced in my opinion. Almost none of the standard cayman's in the 90-99 k range are shifting at all. Again overpriced and making the S look like better value. If the dealers are having trouble shifting them - Private sellers are kidding themselves at some of those prices. I don't get it - do people think someones going to come in after they have their car on the market for 5 months & suddenly purchase it? 

Dealers know that they have to meet the market to shift a car. They do it without any emotional attachment. If you want to sell your privately you shouldn't expect to get what a dealer can sell it for. When the markets cheapest cars are ones sold by the dealers - if your a private seller you have almost zero chance selling yours for overs.

Yes - got the same notice. The Brown one at PCSS has previously been offered at $119k drive away, I suspect this one will also follow the blue one in terms of pricing. Starting to make every private seller cayman s overpriced in my opinion. Almost none of the standard cayman's in the 90-99 k range are shifting at all. Again overpriced and making the S look like better value. If the dealers are having trouble shifting them - Private sellers are kidding themselves at some of those prices. I don't get it - do people think someones going to come in after they have their car on the market for 5 months & suddenly purchase it? 

Dealers know that they have to meet the market to shift a car. They do it without any emotional attachment. If you want to sell your privately you shouldn't expect to get what a dealer can sell it for. When the markets cheapest cars are ones sold by the dealers - if your a private seller you have almost zero chance selling yours for overs.

Whilst I generally agree with you, you do make a lot of assumptions, it isn't always that black and white.  I spoke to a dealer at length last night and yes the market has shifted, they aren't selling many new cars and virtually no 718s.  They have had to wind their forecast back for the next 6 months until the new models i.e. GT3, Cayenne, Panamera and 911 (2019) come on full line.

I have given the go head to the dealer to drop mine.  Somebody is going to get a bargain of a car, I can't believe how much I have lost in 14 months.  I'll never buy another non GT Motorsport car new again.

Edited by NBTBRV8

I have given the go head to the dealer to drop mine.  Somebody is going to get a bargain of a car, I can't believe how much I have lost in 14 months.  I'll never buy another non GT Motorsport car new again.

The only problem you have with your car is the $48,000 in options that you can never fully recover.  They just make your car so much better than any of the others currently for sale.  

I too will never fully option a car again.  Like you, with my Merc I ticked every box and loved all the little toys it had at the time of delivery but now that it is 2.5 years old and I am thinking of trading, love it not so much (the $1000 for the TV for example. What was I thinking).  As such I am keeping it for a few more years (I think).

My advice to anyone who asks is always buy the best car you can afford with as many standard features that you require.  Go to the next model up if necessary, never option up a lower model to try and get the car you really would like as you lose too much money at time of resale.  If you need to add one or two options then great but be aware that this money for the options is lost in the resale value but not its desirability to a potential buyer over others also for sale at the same price.

Keep hanging in there though.  You car has sold once maybe the new price will push someone over the line.  I bet there are many watching your car, so with the price drop you may have a nice surprise this weekend.

We have a Manual 981 optioned up to the wazzu Dealer ordered it but I bought it before it became a demo model

My wife drives it everyday to and from work and we get out on the track day's every now and then.

The thing I love about it is every track day someone always come up to me and asked me what I have done to it ? Nothing I tell them. But your in the fast group and your faster then a lot of the cars out there. Yeap I am not the best driver but the 2.7 manual when on song is unbelievable. (down the straight can get annoying but by turn 2 your saying hello again)

And on normal roads you can actually have fun with it without going too overboard

We can't believe it's 5 in a months time. We normally turn over cars every few years but this one is staying it's just too good. Unless someone gives me around 80k then I'll have no choose but to buy another one as they say everything's for sale

Edited by oldblade

Private sellers are kidding themselves at some of those prices. I don't get it - do people think someones going to come in after they have their car on the market for 5 months & suddenly purchase it? 

Last month having spoken to a few private S sellers listing under <$120k to get a feel for the market, there are some very realistic sellers who were willing to drop the price off the bat but just listed it higher to weed out tyre kickers. A few of them had a few deals fall through and would have probably dropped the price further as I eventually saw those sell probably under $110k. 

The ones that linger are the ones that don't mind holding on to it until the "right buyer" comes along and I have actually seen that happen a few times surprisingly. I've even seen some fairly overpriced ones sell fairly quickly but who knows what they actually sold it for. The ones that generally sell the quickest are those with Porsche warranty. I am fairly confused about the base Cayman market though.... pretty erratic. Some overpriced ones sell...some cheaper ones linger.... Also the lingering ones are the ones with high kms. The best I saw was a "fire sale" about 6 months ago for a base, agate grey Cayman PDK with PSE and Carrera S rims, 30,000kms for $80k with extended warranty... baby on the way or born apparently. Wasn't quite ready at the time but it would've made a great interim car! Nothing has even come close to that and the base Cayman owners listing under $90k will not consider anything low $80k. It's a very strange market that I'm watching daily! 

Got the notice of the drop the other day...... Can see why you will never buy another non GT car again. Great car, beautiful spec as I've always said... I guess it's hard for shoppers to pay in that price range when you're competing with some fairly optionless GTSs going for <150k mark, but of course hard for you to cop an even bigger loss given the amount you paid for the options so I see both sides of the fence. Best to be patient for the right buyer / trade I suppose!

My advice to anyone who asks is always buy the best car you can afford with as many standard features that you require.  Go to the next model up if necessary, never option up a lower model to try and get the car you really would like as you lose too much money at time of resale.  If you need to add one or two options then great but be aware that this money for the options is lost in the resale value but not its desirability to a potential buyer over others also for sale at the same price.

Sounds like extremely wise advice :) Resale value vs desirability, the crossover range is about $5 - $10k I'd say. As in an optionless one vs a well optioned one - the premium paid seems to be about $5k-$10k for the well optioned one. Personally the desirability factor would push my willing price more so. 

Mildly entertaining the idea of getting a 987.2 toy for now that's taken a depreciation hit, investing the "spare change", and then getting a 981 GTS/GT4 at a later stage so it will feel like a big upgrade, or swapping over if my dream S spec comes along....Stamp duty hit isn't too much on the 987.2. Anyone been following the 987 market and know what a fair price is for the following? Which represents the best value and maybe the lowest potential depreciation hit over the next 1 -3 years? 

* 987.2 Cayman R - $80k-90k?

* 987.2 Cayman S/Boxster S - $70k / $60k?

* 987.2 Cayman/Boxster $55k / $45k?

Edited by 981KMan

Disagree about the PDK :)

<<<<trying to find a nice way to say "idiot" after spending the day in ours running up to the hunter valley then back down the putty road to our farm for a quick pit stop then home today. All I can say is Manual all the way how can you feel as engaged your doing less in a PDK. 

yes your faster in a PDK but..... well I'll stop there and wait to be flammed  

Watching any video, PDK or manual, does absolutely no favours for my lack of patience waiting for the right manual beauty to come along :lol:

As you well know, mine is what you're waiting for.  Make me an offer, you never know... :)

<<<<trying to find a nice way to say "idiot" after spending the day in ours running up to the hunter valley then back down the putty road to our farm for a quick pit stop then home today. All I can say is Manual all the way how can you feel as engaged your doing less in a PDK. 

I understand why PDK is so popular in today's congested environment, but the manual is just so engaging.  The box is a joy to use and the auto blip and engine breaking (which PDK can't replicate) is just superb for car control.  I love the manual.

Edited by NBTBRV8

Not Flaming but I was wondering how many manual drivers have taken the time to learn how to influence a PDK? To really get to know it in detail. The software looks at a lot of driver inputs like throttle position and rate of change (how fast you move it), steering angle and its rate of chance, brake pressue and its rate of change and other items like the time to transisition from throttle to brake. The driver has a lot of predictable control in normal and sport modes over how the PDK responds to the various inputs. For instance with the Cayman R in normal mode you can just roll up to a set of lights just like any auto or by just lifting off the throttle a bit faster and a quick transistion to the brake peddle it will bang home the down shifts complete with throttle blips. Similar with driving away from the lights. While using your right foot alone (unless left foot braking opps forgot manual drivers dont know how to do that) along with steering and brake use might not have the same feeling as pumping your left leg it can still be very involving and rewarding once you have mastered it. Of course if you must move the left leg then left foot braking is another challenging skill with many benefits.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a Manual 981 optioned up to the wazzu Dealer ordered it but I bought it before it became a demo model

...but the 2.7 manual when on song is unbelievable. (down the straight can get annoying but by turn 2 your saying hello again)

And on normal roads you can actually have fun with it without going too overboard

We can't believe it's 5 in a months time. We normally turn over cars every few years but this one is staying it's just too good. Unless someone gives me around 80k then I'll have no choose but to buy another one as they say everything's for sale

@oldblade did you ever drive the 2.7 back to back with the 3.4S manual? What colour combo and rims do you have? ;)

I think someone doesn't really know Porsches... Or was it deliberate? 718/982 advertised as a 981 $109k? Hmmm

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2016/OAG-AD-15141072

That is only because she hasn't gone for a ride in it yet ;)

I wouldn't want a touring, a fully winged one for me please.

haha if only if we're that easy ? she probably would never set foot on a Porsche dealership with me ? 

how is your GT3 endeavour coming along btw? 991.1 or .2?

One of the 10 manuals is up for auction, damaged.  It doesn't say that it is on the WOVR:

https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-salvage/item/-/details/CP-08-15--Porsche--Cayman--Coupe/2202472380

??? Getting rear ended or tboned was probably the worst thing that could happen to this beauty... Heartbreaking! I'm assuming only good for parts since the insurance co  looks like they decided to pay it out towards the owners GT3 fund...

Come to think of it, given that there's not many red CGTSs around I'm wondering if it was this car I spotted only last month in a suburb not too far from its location now...

Edited by 981KMan

haha if only if we're that easy ? she probably would never set foot on a Porsche dealership with me ? 

how is your GT3 endeavour coming along btw? 991.1 or .2?

??? Getting rear ended or tboned was probably the worst thing that could happen to this beauty... Heartbreaking! I'm assuming only good for parts since the insurance co  looks like they decided to pay it out towards the owners GT3 fund...

Come to think of it, given that there's not many red CGTSs around I'm wondering if it was this car I spotted only last month in a suburb not too far from its location now...

It would be a .1, a .2 is out of my price range (even further than the .1).

It really is hard to say how much damage there is.

And come on, wear the pants in the family :)

• 2 weeks later...

Originally searching for 981 - having a bit of a change of mind. Especially when whatever I purchase will not be my daily driver. Probably go back to manual 987. Wife's got the pdK (it's great) but think I'd like something with complete involvement. Don't really want the S - quite happy to ring out the 2.9.

Maybe spend considerably less get 987 like this https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2011/OAG-AD-14898283/?Cr=3

Is the price on this about right? 

Originally searching for 981 - having a bit of a change of mind. Especially when whatever I purchase will not be my daily driver. Probably go back to manual 987. Wife's got the pdK (it's great) but think I'd like something with complete involvement. Don't really want the S - quite happy to ring out the 2.9.

Maybe spend considerably less get 987 like this https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2011/OAG-AD-14898283/?Cr=3

Is the price on this about right? 

Thats a lot of car for the money - you pay a little more for a Porsche approved used car but you get the warranty - plus you can extend that through 9 years, well worth it in my opinion. 987 is a fantastic car, you wont be dissapointed