981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

Hi Guys

Hope you're all well. I've been lurking on various Porsche forums around the world obsessing about my next purchase, i.e. my first Porsche.

Long story short, my hair is greying and I'm approaching my mid-life crisis and so I've made a mid-engined weekend car my goal within 12 months. Would be nice to keep the budget under/around $130k and preferably get a Porsche Approved 981 Cayman S in manual (must have), Porsche Sport Exhaust (must have), Guards red with black 20" Carrera S rims and PASM (nice to have). Is this an extremely rare combo and only usually seen in the GTS (or PDK)? If the colour and rims combo came up without the PSE and PASM, I'd consider retrofitting the PSE via Porsche Tequipment. And I'd consider black but I've always owned black cars and would like a change.

I've spreadsheeted almost every 981 Cayman, S and GTS on Carsales for the last 4 months, along with 981 Boxster S and a few base models. So far, there have been absolutely no Cayman S manuals (most are PDK around the $130k range), maybe a few base manual Caymans (maybe 3 or 4 Australia wide, with only 1 black manual with PSE and PASM at PCSS) and a few more Boxster S manuals.

Could anyone please let me know roughly how many units were sold of the 981 Cayman S manual vs base manual vs PDK vs GTS between 2012-2016? I was not able to find any reliable stats. Did people compare the price of the S to the GTS and opt for the GTS instead? Would love a GTS but it would mean having to save up longer (most I've seen are over $170k) and it would be disapproved by the wife, whereas the Cayman S has been sort of "approved" but that's another story!

I've driven a 981 Boxster PDK with no options (to see if the 2.7L would be 'adequate' - I suppose it was but got bored of the PDK), a 981 Boxster S manual with PSE (loved the gearbox and torque of the 3.4L and made me want the Cayman S) and finally a 718 Boxster PDK (brilliant car but the sound just reminded me of my previous WRX STi - both good and bad). I much prefer the look of the Cayman as I'm not really feeling the Boxster's side view with the rag top and wouldn't drive with the top down much, although it was loads of fun and a really pleasant experience. I guess at the moment my preference would be 981 Cayman S > 981 Cayman > 981 Boxster S / 718 Cayman, i.e. if I got sick of waiting for a 981 Cayman S or they just don't really exist in manual, I may just go for the base 981 Cayman or even a 981 Boxster S / 718 Cayman instead. 

Would welcome your thoughts and hope to be joining you guys in the drive days in the near future. Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. Am I missing something here? This 981 Cayman GTS is "priced to sell" at $250k... https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/SSE-AD-4292260/?Cr=5

15 Jan 2018 Update

Courtesy of @MrMud, one of only 16 manual Cayman S owners in Australia, we now have the official statistics from Porsche Cars Australia! Here they are below. Thank you once again MrMud!!!

981 Cayman S Manuals

2014       11 manual         128 PDK       TOTAL 139

2015        3 manual           38 PDK         TOTAL 41

2016        2 manual           15 PDK         TOTAL 17

TOTAL    16 manual         181 PDK        TOTAL 197

Footnote: Before Christmas I was provided with stats for the 2013 S build as 5 manuals and 15 PDK. These 20 vehicles will be include in the numbers above (2014 total), but it helps readers cut the manuals from the above data. 

Source: 

Edited by 981KMan
Thread title update

Hi and welcome to the site not sure why they are asking that sort of coin for that GTS ;),,,,,,,you can get a GT4 for a little less than that ,,,,,In regards to finding your car ,,,its the same old story you can never find what you want when you want it ,,,sure you know what I mean we have been there at some time ....

A couple of forum members recently picked up very nice 987 Spyders one was Black the other Agate grey for around $110 ,,,$120 K mark ..They are really impressive fun cars and those colors make them some what rare and unique....In regards to getting PSE fitted to a car with out it I wouldn,t bother and would rather go an after market system ,,,I would think you would get better value for money in terms of performance gain and sound quality ... :)

I'm no help in the 981 stakes but just wanted to say welcome too & wish you well, love your back story. My dream as well to have Porsche road racer type and finally got it last year..... Best of luck with the search. Keep us posted on any updates, i.e. If you'd find something!!

Welcome KMan and best of luck with your search. Kudos for driving a range of cars to narrow down your key criteria. I suspect you may have narrowed it a bit far but time will tell. As mentioned above the recent Spyder purchases were pretty neat and rare too. Here is the thread in case you missed it and best of luck....

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/10852-interesting-purchase-today/#comment-208222

Non metallic Red cars (unless garaged properly away from our harsh Aussie Sun) will fade over time. And if you have it under a car port, one side may fade more than the other. It is also a very hard colour to match if you have to respray one panel for repair. 

A friend of mine purchased a used Non-metallic Red GTI and even after visiting a couple of reputable Smash repairers, they were not able to balance out the colour fade between the left and the right side of the car without having to do a full respray.

So please take this into account when looking for a Non-metallic Red car. 

Hi and welcome to the site not sure why they are asking that sort of coin for that GTS ;),,,,,,,you can get a GT4 for a little less than that ,,,,,In regards to finding your car ,,,its the same old story you can never find what you want when you want it ,,,sure you know what I mean we have been there at some time ....

A couple of forum members recently picked up very nice 987 Spyders one was Black the other Agate grey for around $110 ,,,$120 K mark ..They are really impressive fun cars and those colors make them some what rare and unique....In regards to getting PSE fitted to a car with out it I wouldn,t bother and would rather go an after market system ,,,I would think you would get better value for money in terms of performance gain and sound quality ... :)

Did the 987 Porsche Spyder come to Australia in Agate Grey? was it a PTS model? I haven't seen one for sale locally before. I've only seen White and Black ones. I know that the US got Red and Silver ones but not Agate Grey.

Edited by Apogee

Did the 987 Porsche Spyder come to Australia in Agate Grey? was it a PTS model? I haven't seen one for sale locally before. I've only seen White and Black ones. I know that the US got Red and Silver ones but not Agate Grey.

EDIT: just noticed you've posted in the thread already :P

See here:

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/10852-interesting-purchase-today/?do=findComment&comment=208222

Edited by sleazius

Yep, they are all 981 Spyders and I wish they were $120K, but they are over $200K

And the 987 Spyders in Oz only came in either white or black. I don't ever recall ever seeing a Silver or Red one for sale or on the road. If they do exist, they would be the rarest of the 987 Spyders.

A Silver/Red interior 981 Spyder with 1500kms was advertised for $180000 a few months ago. A Canberra car. 

Edited by Apogee

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and for your support/empathy/pointers :) Much appreciated. 

Raven, Diamond911 and sleazius, 
Had me going there for a sec with a $120k Spyder :lol: Clicked on the link expecting 987 Spyders and was wondering why they looked so much like 981 Spyders and thought hell yeah I could live definitely live with them! Then I looked closely at the one at the Agate Grey one and realised I'd seen that in the flesh at PCSS and had taken quite a few pics of it on my phone a few months ago. Think it was a 2016 model close to $200k+ range... DOH! I can see how the 987 and 981 could be easily mistaken at certain angles though... Hope to be joining the 911 club some time in future (I am really lost with all the numbering in that department) but I'm happy to start with my "poor man's 911" first :P 

Having looked at 987's quite closely previously as they are more easy to find and attain (and get past the boss/wife), I much prefer the interior and exterior of the more recent generations, and I do appreciate the technology somewhat. 

@Raven - I know what you mean about the aftermarket exhausts, some are absolutely insane on Youtube. My main thing was to maintain the Porsche warranty (and future Porsche Approved status) for when I trade up, as well as the PSE button on the console which will be handy as to not piss off the neighbours... But I hear they have to rip apart your interior to get the PSE button in, do a software upgrade and that sometimes the interior is never really the same again after being taken apart... so hoping not to go down that path. I can see the appeal of an aftermarket exhaust, much better value. 

@Diamond911 I must tell you that it was SUCH A CHORE to test drive all those cars and stare at them for hours..... :D At least I can definitively say I know exactly what I'm after but you might be right that I have narrowed it down really far and they're probably being held on to very tightly especially with the 4-banger 718 getting a mixed reception... so I've got the backup options but really hoping I don't need to "compromise" by getting a base model... Oh first world problems! My 'nightmare' would be if the perfect car came up before I was ready to buy it. 

@Philbee - thanks mate :) Congrats on finally finding your match ;) Will definitely keep you all posted (but only after I've found it haha). How long were you searching for your ideal/dream car? Would one still be inclined to haggle even a little bit when the perfect match came up? I don't know if I could do it. At the same time, I have a feeling very few would be wanting  a manual AND non-metallic paint, but all it takes is one other person just like me to snap it up. 

@Apogee - thanks for the heads up regarding the paintwork! That's a really good point that I hadn't even thought of. I'll have to look extra closely when I inspect the car, which probably means I will be hoping for more of a 'garage queen'. I'll definitely be keeping it garaged but just need to make sure the previous owner looks like they did. I've seen some pretty neglected red cars around and the faded / pinky hue is not nice at all. Probably the reason why the non-metallic red and yellow are less common. 

I've had  on-metallic red before, you just have to polish them more regularly to avoid the fade

That I don't mind at all ;) had mostly black cars for over 15 years, how hard could non-metallic red be? ;) Have lots of old school zymol products at my disposal! What products did you use on the red?

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and for your support/empathy/pointers :) Much appreciated. 

Having looked at 987's quite closely previously as they are more easy to find and attain (and get past the boss/wife), I much prefer the interior and exterior of the more recent generations, and I do appreciate the technology somewhat. 

The 987.2 2010/11 Spyder is IMO (I own one - so I admit I am biased) the Spyder to get between the two. It is the lightest car, Porsche has made of recent history,  the 981 isn't as light and is physically a larger vehicle. 

It is also the last of the fully analog Boxsters, it has hydraulically assisted power steering (so you get all the feedback from the road) and a mechanical handbrake. It is still small enough to feel like a small nimble car while the 981, the doors and front haunches are much higher making the car feel much larger. I feel like I am peering over the instrument binnacle like I am sitting in a tub. I waited 3 years for a white 987.2 Spyder in manual transmission to come up for sale and jumped on it. 

I do agree, the 981 looks a bit more masculine looking especially the front end which resembles the GT4 and I would love to have it's 3.8L engine in mine. The top is also much easier to put up and down. But I think the 981 Spyder has moved a bit further away from the light weight sports car brief and is less hardcore compared to the 987.2 version. The 981s are bit more refined than the 987s and are not as visceral a drive. 

Take a drive of both Spyders and see if the $60K - $80K price difference between the two is worth it. 

Welcome to the forum 981KMan.  My two bobs worth.  First you cannot buy a 987 with the handle 981KMan.

I was like you looking for the perfect car for me and in the end bought a 981 Boxster S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, (no PASM), 20" Carrera S grey rims and I love it.  I love the roof up or down and when down the sound that enters the cabin means no radio is switched on (or needed).  The 20" rims just set the car off.  I have had a few black and red cars but the Boxster in Carrera White and with the black roof and red callipers looks stunning

I did almost buy a Demo 911 Black Edition but glad I saved the extra $'s for the 911 as I only use the Boxster as a weekender

The look of the 981 is just fantastic too.  I am so happy I bought it.  If you have another 80 - 90K in the budget then I would certainly go for the 981 Spyder.  The 3.8 ltr 6 with the easier to use roof is great and a rare car but there are not many the come up for sale.

Keep looking.  Soon the perfect car will be available and you will be very happy like all of us on PFA

That I don't mind at all ;) had mostly black cars for over 15 years, how hard could non-metallic red be? ;) Have lots of old school zymol products at my disposal! What products did you use on the red?

I'm an Autoglym man...

Regarding 981 Spyder values, have seen 2 sold on carsales out of 25 AU delivered.

- Silver had the older style GT2 buckets iirc; and

- Agate had the full lightweight bucket seats out of the 918 Spyder that incl height adjustment.

good luck with your search.

File 2-4-17, 1 47 57 pm.jpeg

File 2-4-17, 1 48 54 pm.jpeg

Edited by vin

Yeah, me thinks the prices of the 981 Spyder are only heading in one direction. My buddy bought the agate grey on bordeaux car a few weeks ago and I havent seen one for sale since. Being lighter and faster than the GT4 it's sure to be a sought after car as time goes on...

He says no low ball offer 10s of thousands below asking price but.....Might be worth a call if you can stretch your budget.  it's red, manual and has the 918 seats.  Probably a bit over priced to try and cover the cost of options but it is unique and tasty.  Not sure about the rims though. 

he says he's created the next best thing to a GT4 but it sounds like he still really wants a GT4!

cp5085495783100604177.jpg?aspect=FitWith

2016 Porsche Cayman GTS 981 Manual MY16

• 17,000 km
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • 6cyl 3.4L Petrol

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/SSE-AD-4619073

Edited by DJM

The 987.2 2010/11 Spyder is IMO (I own one - so I admit I am biased) the Spyder to get between the two. It is the lightest car, Porsche has made of recent history,  the 981 isn't as light and is physically a larger vehicle. It is also the last of the fully analog Boxsters.....I waited 3 years for a white 987.2 Spyder in manual transmission to come up for sale and jumped on it....I do agree, the 981 looks a bit more masculine looking especially the front end which resembles the GT4 and I would love to have it's 3.8L engine in mine. 

Thanks the personal insight about 987.2 Spyder ownership :) I don't know how you managed to wait for 3 years! Maybe you were driving something entertaining during that waiting game... I already sold my "main" car for a good price but it just means being bored in the mean time besides test drives and rental cars. I agree with you on pretty much on all fronts regarding the 987 vs 981. I prefer the exteriors and interiors of the 981/718 (particularly the GT4 and GTS front end) but likely would prefer the driving experience of the 987. My previous car was also very analog and I much prefer the road feel from that experience vs the newer "digital" cars. It's definitely more raw and visceral as you said, a better connection to the car and road, although the 981 isn't too bad for me compared with recent cars like Audis and AMGs I've driven.

I will keep an open mind regarding the
987.2 Spyder as that would be the only Spyder within budget (and wife's permission) anyway. The 981 Spyder is pretty much ruled out at this stage and I suppose for that amount of coin, I'd be considering a Maserati GranTurismo (when the next generation is finally released). Also, it was more fun playing chicken with the rain in a base Boxster ;) I can't imagine one would want to play that game with the Spyder tent. 

First you cannot buy a 987 with the handle 981KMan...I was like you looking for the perfect car for me and in the end bought a 981 Boxster S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, (no PASM), 20" Carrera S grey rims and I love it.... If you have another 80 - 90K in the budget then I would certainly go for the 981 Spyder.  The 3.8 ltr 6....

Many thanks Lucky Phil! Haha good point regarding my 981 handle. The intention is for it to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Your spec is very similar to what I test drove and what I'm after, and I can understand why you'd be completely in love it, which is why the 981BS is still on my list :) I also agree regarding that colour combo looking stunning. I am not one to usually look at white cars but Carrera White on a Boxster (and Cayman for that matter) with contrasting roof and rims looks fantastic in the flesh. Pics don't do it justice. My colour preference for a Boxster S would probably be black or white as I feel it goes better with the black roof, whereas guards red IMHO seems to work better in the hard top. Wish I had another $80-90k in the budget haha as I would be in 981 Spyder and GTS territory. I really like the front end of the GT4 + 3.8L 6 but the rear wing is a bit too much for my personal taste as a street car. 

I'm an Autoglym man...

Always wanted to try that out. Any favourite products in the range? I have typically used Swissvax and Zymol for my detailing needs. Don't know if I'll go down the nano coating approach since it'll likely be in the garage most of the time. Might try that on the family car first. 

The right red on the right car is delicious though. Results of polishing it well are superior to any other too IMO.

Great to hear :D I hate how after spending a day on a black car that the minute you take it out of the garage and drive it, you notice every little grain of dust that's fallen on it. 

Regarding 981 Spyder values, have seen 2 sold on carsales out of 25 AU delivered.

- Silver had the older style GT2 buckets iirc; and

- Agate had the full lightweight bucket seats out of the 918 Spyder that incl height adjustment.

good luck with your search.

Thanks Vin :) It always sets me aback at first when I get the Carsales alerts saying there's a base 981 Boxster going for $200k+... then I realise that Carsales doesn't have a badge option for the Spyder but it does for the GT4. Sadly out of budget though :)

Yeah, me thinks the prices of the 981 Spyder are only heading in one direction. My buddy bought the agate grey on bordeaux car a few weeks ago and I havent seen one for sale since. Being lighter and faster than the GT4 it's sure to be a sought after car as time goes on...

Think you're right there. I have only seen 2 pop up on Carsales and only 1 in the flesh at PCSS and they don't last long. 

cp5085495783100604177.jpg?aspect=FitWith

Thanks DJM :) Haha yep this one is on my watch/drool list (as all red Caymans are). For now, I can't stretch the budget but the only red manual Cayman S's that are coming up tend to be GTSs so one day I might need to / save up more / beg the wife / hit the jackpot on the pokies.... ;) I love everything about that car except for the Techno rims and maybe the PCCB which I'm assuming may be very $$$ to replace. Then gotta cart it over from Tassie! Must be a one of a kind over there. S/he probably should have just gone with a GT4 in the first place. I think this will take a while to sell. 

EDIT (quoted from the ad):  "
After I missed out on getting a GT4, I specced this to be a GT4 lite with options over $50,000."

Not sure if that was the best idea unless money was no object :)

Thanks the personal insight about 987.2 Spyder ownership :) I don't know how you managed to wait for 3 years! Maybe you were driving something entertaining during that waiting game... I already sold my "main" car for a good price but it just means being bored in the mean time besides test drives and rental cars. I agree with you on pretty much on all fronts regarding the 987 vs 981. I prefer the exteriors and interiors of the 981/718 (particularly the GT4 and GTS front end) but likely would prefer the driving experience of the 987. My previous car was also very analog and I much prefer the road feel from that experience vs the newer "digital" cars. It's definitely more raw and visceral as you said, a better connection to the car and road, although the 981 isn't too bad for me compared with recent cars like Audis and AMGs I've driven.

987.2 Spyder as that would be the only Spyder within budget (and wife's permission) anyway. The 981 Spyder is pretty much ruled out at this stage and I suppose for that amount of coin, I'd be considering a Maserati GranTurismo (when the next generation is finally released). Also, it was more fun playing chicken with the rain in a base Boxster ;) I can't imagine one would want to play that game with the Spyder tent. 

I wasn't in the market for the 987.2 Spyder to be honest, I was driving my Black 987.1 Boxster S.

Manual versions of the 987.2 Spyder are very rare esp in Carrera white. In three years I have only encountered 1 white one (advertised back in 2013 for $129K with under 20K kms on the odo) and 3-4 Black ones (spread over the three year period, one priced at $149K had only 7500 kms on the odo - average price of the Spyder is $120K). When mine came up for sale, it had 17500kms on the clock at a very good price. I couldn't pass it on and I am very glad I didn't.

There was a recently advertised Carrera White Manual at CTS for $109500 with 39K kms on the clock which got no interest up here. I believe it was transported to Duttons in Vic and sold there instead.

I reckon and hope that the price on the 987.2 Spyder goes up over time as more people come to appreciate their rarity and value. Only 37 were sold in Oz, many were optioned with PDK (the 987.2 was the first Boxster/Cayman to get PDK ) - very few with manual transmissions.

As to the "issue" about the "tent" - I drove my Spyder down from Brisbane (where I picked it up) all the way to Sydney in the driving rain. We were as dry as a bone the whole journey.  The water just wicks off the flying buttresses of the rag top after migrating from the bottom of  the A pillar to the back of the car via the leading edges of the side windows  - like a transparent crawling caterpillar - it is a scene to behold. 

Many thanks Lucky Phil! Haha good point regarding my 981 handle. The intention is for it to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Your spec is very similar to what I test drove and what I'm after, and I can understand why you'd be completely in love it, which is why the 981BS is still on my list :) I also agree regarding that colour combo looking stunning. I am not one to usually look at white cars but Carrera White on a Boxster (and Cayman for that matter) with contrasting roof and rims looks fantastic in the flesh. Pics don't do it justice. My colour preference for a Boxster S would probably be black or white as I feel it goes better with the black roof, whereas guards red IMHO seems to work better in the hard top. Wish I had another $80-90k in the budget haha as I would be in 981 Spyder and GTS territory. I really like the front end of the GT4 + 3.8L 6 but the rear wing is a bit too much for my personal taste as a street car. 

Always wanted to try that out. Any favourite products in the range? I have typically used Swissvax and Zymol for my detailing needs. Don't know if I'll go down the nano coating approach since it'll likely be in the garage most of the time. Might try that on the family car first. 

Great to hear :D I hate how after spending a day on a black car that the minute you take it out of the garage and drive it, you notice every little grain of dust that's fallen on it. 

Thanks Vin :) It always sets me aback at first when I get the Carsales alerts saying there's a base 981 Boxster going for $200k+... then I realise that Carsales doesn't have a badge option for the Spyder but it does for the GT4. Sadly out of budget though :)

Think you're right there. I have only seen 2 pop up on Carsales and only 1 in the flesh at PCSS and they don't last long. 

Thanks DJM :) Haha yep this one is on my watch/drool list (as all red Caymans are). For now, I can't stretch the budget but the only red manual Cayman S's that are coming up tend to be GTSs so one day I might need to / save up more / beg the wife / hit the jackpot on the pokies.... ;) I love everything about that car except for the Techno rims and maybe the PCCB which I'm assuming may be very $$$ to replace. Then gotta cart it over from Tassie! Must be a one of a kind over there. S/he probably should have just gone with a GT4 in the first place. I think this will take a while to sell. 

EDIT (quoted from the ad):  "
After I missed out on getting a GT4, I specced this to be a GT4 lite with options over $50,000."

Not sure if that was the best idea unless money was no object :)

I agree over capitalised on this one me thinks.  Keep watching and keep saving and when it does not sell offer $145K. Ceramic brakes were an overkill option to tick.  Love the red though.  Wheels are growing on me...

What about this one?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2014/SSE-AD-4592138/?Cr=9

I wasn't in the market for the 987.2 Spyder to be honest, I was driving my Black 987.1 Boxster S....Manual versions of the 987.2 Spyder are very rare esp in Carrera white.

As to the "issue" about the "tent" - I drove my Spyder down from Brisbane (where I picked it up) all the way to Sydney in the driving rain. We were as dry as a bone the whole journey.  The water just wicks off the flying buttresses of the rag top after migrating from the bottom of  the A pillar to the back of the car via the leading edges of the side windows  - like a transparent crawling caterpillar - it is a scene to behold. 

How did you find the increase from the 987.1 BS (3.2L?) vs your Spyder 3.8L? I imagine it would similar to the 0.7L jump from the base 981 to the S, a nice increase in torque and possible more up top. Makes sense that you could wait 3 years. Makes it all the more sweeter that you got a manual and that it's so rare, and I'm guessing you will hold on to it and enjoy it for many more years to come. Have you found that the manual ones have held their value more so than the PDKs, even though there's much less demand for manuals these days, or is it about the same?

What a drive of a lifetime from Brissy down to Sydney! Love the vivid description - the ragtop is indeed very good repelling the rain. My reference to playing chicken was when I had a Boxster over a rainy weekend and I was constantly putting the top up and down ;) 

I agree over capitalised on this one me thinks.  Keep watching and keep saving and when it does not sell offer $145K. Ceramic brakes were an overkill option to tick.  Love the red though.  Wheels are growing on me...

What about this one?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2014/SSE-AD-4592138/?Cr=9

Yeah, good point, at $145k I could possibly stretch for a GTS... :)  (And swap those Techno rims for black Carrera S rims.) This one here is a nice one in white, manual at $169k:  https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4559422 

Thanks for the link. That is on the lower end of the price range for a Cayman S too. Nicely specced one and they just dropped the price by $5k as I got the price alert this morning in case anyone's interested ;) I'm just after manual only though. Agate grey is very nice too but not on my wishlist yet.