981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

The whole Porsche market seems pretty subdued at the moment.  GT3s', RS', GT4s' and turbos don't seem to be selling, so I think it is all up and down the model range.  Maybe as people's bonuses start coming through in the new FY and tax time is over that we will see some movements.  So I think it is a buyers market all across the range.

Definitely a buyers market, the price most of those cars are being put up at are a bit ridiculous and the same goes for the 981 Cayman S’s.

Look at the price of used 987 Cayman S models, they are listed at 50k+ for 987.1’s (2006+) and 70k+ for a 987.2’s (2009+). Those prices are just what they are listed on carsales for and not what people are actually buying the cars for so maybe subtract 5k from those numbers for the real price.

Lets say the 981 Cayman S follows the same curve, if you buy at 120k for a 2013 model you will lose more per year than the first owner lost from new for the next 3 years (16k a year) and 10k a year for the two after that. Pay more than 120k and you lose more.

To me it just seems like a bit of an inflated market with people who think the ‘last Flat 6’ means something for a car that has only just crossed over 10 years of production with no real racing heritage to speak of and the lack of movement of the cars is a bit of a reflection of that.

Good to know you can renew the warranty after it expires, I didn't think that was possible in AU. I still think a Porsche pre-purchase inspection (PPI) would be an absolute must to get a list of things to fix and a quote to fix it all up to get the warranty to see if it's worthwhile or not, but it's still good to know if a relative bargain comes along. 

And yep you guys beat me to it :) Just dropped it 10k. Maybe it was to generate buzz and they knew it all along. Nice tactic. 

Basically a Cayman S around $120k would be ideal and "sensible" and somewhat tax effective, and still leave me with room to invest in appreciating assets :) Could stretch for a GTS/GT4 if I was being silly but now is not the time with a growing family lol

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 3.54.10 pm.png

Ok, well if you decide to go silly PM me and I might cut a deal on mine.

Ok, well if you decide to go silly PM me and I might cut a deal on mine.

Ok 981KMan you know this is the one you really want so time to see how low NBTBVR8 will go to make you happy, and he also remains happy.  It is the best one out there and you know it is.  So go for it

• 3 weeks later...

1st post on this forum. Been a bit obsessive looking at a 981 to purchase. I've been watching the market for 4-5 months now  - so much so that my 15 yr old son stirs me up by asking me how many 981's are for sale today. He knows I know it! (51 is todays answer).

There has been a bit of movement generally in prices recently - not in the private market, but more dealers cars seemingly priced in the mix. I think some private sellers are just unrealistic. The ones I've approached with reasonable offers on a couple of 981s - simply won't budge even when pointing out that their car is expensive compared with the list price from some of the dealers. My guess is that a lot of base Cayman's will move into the high 80k range soon, followed by 110k for the average mid spec Cayman S. 

Edited by Oldknees
minor change

My guess is that a lot of base Cayman's will move into the high 80k range soon, followed by 110k for the average mid spec Cayman S. 

Welcome to the forum Oldknees and I know how obsessive it can get (staying up on Carsales late every night refreshing LOL). What are you looking to get (ideal spec)?

You are right about the prices, they are finally starting to budge significantly. Actually, I feel the prices you mentioned are already there at the dealership driveaway, for the S anyway. The base is a little overpriced and closer to 90k driveaway. Dealer prices are actually more reasonable than that of private sellers at the moment but having said that, most of the private sellers I've spoken to have been pretty good about it and good to talk to with some willing to do a deal.

A number of PDK Cayman S private sellers advertising around the $120k are pretty much asking around the $110k mark off the bat and seemed to be a pleasure to deal with so it could potentially be had for around $105k private. However, when you add on the on-roads and Porsche inspection fees and "consumables" to get it to a "Porsche Approved" level, that private sale is going to add up probably to cost more than a Porsche Approved one around $110k driveaway. I know which one I'd prefer to go for. 

The ones asking for more than those prices seem to be unrealistic as you said, with one asking for $150k for a 2015 Cayman S with low kms but a very average spec, when you can pretty much get a Cayman GTS for not too much more. Actually, I feel the base Cayman private sellers with an average spec or below average are asking for too much and not willing to budge. They are asking $95k+ and not entertaining offers even after being on the market for over 3+ months... so with onroads etc, it's going to add up to $100k... (There are a few who are willing to go around $90k but a very basic spec, 19" wheels only, no options, etc..) and you could just pay $10k more at a dealer for an S or $10k less for a base... so it's a NO DEAL. 

Edited by 981KMan

Thanks for the response 981KMan. I suppose my ideal spec is something that's got low km and cheap! But if a can't get that then, I'm pretty open in terms of spec 981 or 981s. Always been a manual driver - but driving the wife's PDK, I'm sold. PDK for me. Don't really want to be too flashy  - so Red / Yellow & maybe Black is out for me. Been recently strangely drawn to the brown s that PCSS has. A brown Porsche?....Maybe not.

Everything else I'm pretty easy on in terms of spec. This car won't be my daily driver so I don't need anything other than the basics. Wife's got Sports Chrono. I don't need that. Sports exhaust - sounds good but don't really need that. I suppose my upper limit budget is about 110k drive away for an S. That would be good. Or say 90k for a base. Prefer 2014 or younger. Something with some warranty left. At the moment the dealers cars look more attractive than most of the private ones in my opinion. 

Thanks for the response 981KMan. I suppose my ideal spec is something that's got low km and cheap! But if a can't get that then, I'm pretty open in terms of spec 981 or 981s. Always been a manual driver - but driving the wife's PDK, I'm sold. PDK for me. Don't really want to be too flashy  - so Red / Yellow & maybe Black is out for me. Been recently strangely drawn to the brown s that PCSS has. A brown Porsche?....Maybe not.

Everything else I'm pretty easy on in terms of spec. This car won't be my daily driver so I don't need anything other than the basics. Wife's got Sports Chrono. I don't need that. Sports exhaust - sounds good but don't really need that. I suppose my upper limit budget is about 110k drive away for an S. That would be good. Or say 90k for a base. Prefer 2014 or younger. Something with some warranty left. At the moment the dealers cars look more attractive than most of the private ones in my opinion. 

Hi Oldknees.  I think you need to rethink a bit.  The two things you would miss the most on a 981 S would be the Sports Exhaust and the Sports Chrono.  They are the two buttons I turn on first every time I get in my car.  They make the whole driving experience just that much better 

Edited by Lucky Phil

This car won't be my daily driver so I don't need anything other than the basics. Wife's got Sports Chrono. I don't need that. Sports exhaust - sounds good but don't really need that. I suppose my upper limit budget is about 110k drive away for an S. That would be good. Or say 90k for a base. Prefer 2014 or younger. Something with some warranty left.

I think you would be able to get a 2014 now or in the near future at the $110k driveaway mark with 1 year Porsche Approved warranty, PDK, PSE and Sports Chrono, both of which @Lucky Phil mentioned are great options. If you keep them on your watchlist in Carsales, you'll notice every month or so they will have a special offer typically towards the end of the month for about $5-6k off the listed price. Also. fortunately, many of the PDK ones I've seen come with Sports Chrono more than any other option, followed by PSE. I've not seen PASM as often but I think you can live without that more than PSE and Sports Chrono.

From personal experience, the PSE does make the driving experience significantly more enjoyable in a 981S :) Only tried the Sports Chrono on the base 718 but the Sport Plus mode was pretty insane.  I think you're at a good place @Oldknees and should be in a 981 S by the end of the year :) Probably sooner than I will be (I'm after manual only). Also, I have left my details with the respective dealerships and get the odd heads up when something is about to be traded and ask if I want to have a look before it gets put on the market. Worth doing since you're in a good position this year and sounds like you already have a Porsche contact with your wife's car. I'm guessing Agate Grey, Carrera White or maybe Dark Blue Metallic might be your colour? The first two I've noticed are most common at the dealerships, followed by black, then red, blue and yellow. 

Edited by 981KMan

Hate to bag anyone having a go - but that price seems a bit ambitious. Maybe the black stripe costs a lot?

Yes, the OEM decals I believe are a $70k option when new so maybe he's only looking to recover about $50k of that? :D  Beautiful looking car though... Carmine Red!

I've also heard that warranty can be extended after it has expired assuming it passes a Porsche centre inspection.

To quote a few porsche centre websites:

• If your vehicle’s policy has expired, provided the ownership of the vehicle has not changed, the policy can also be extended once the vehicle has passed the multi- check inspection examination and any faults detected repaired using genuine Porsche parts.

Should you choose to sell your vehicle privately, the Porsche warranty extension is transferable* and may add to the attractiveness of your Porsche to prospective purchasers.

*The warranty is not transferable to another party (e.g. a licensed motor vehicle dealer) if that party acquires the vehicle for the purpose of resale.

Please correct me here guys but to me, the above reads as if you have bought a car privately and there is still any factory or extended warranty in place, then it transfers to you and you can extend it. However, if it's sold to you via a non-Porsche dealership, then only factory warranty can be transferred to you as it is attached to the VIN (and warranty could be extended later) but any extended warranty cannot be transferred to you and the extended warranty cannot be renewed in future as it seems to be annulled as soon as it is sold to a non-P dealer. Further, it seems to imply that if any car is sold to you privately or via a non-P dealership and all warranties have already expired, then you won't be able to extend as it didn't expire whilst under your ownership and the only exception here is if a Porsche centre acquired the car and sold it as Porsche Approved.

Can anyone confirm whether this is or isn't the case? Thanks :)

To quote a few porsche centre websites:

• If your vehicle’s policy has expired, provided the ownership of the vehicle has not changed, the policy can also be extended once the vehicle has passed the multi- check inspection examination and any faults detected repaired using genuine Porsche parts.

Should you choose to sell your vehicle privately, the Porsche warranty extension is transferable* and may add to the attractiveness of your Porsche to prospective purchasers.

*The warranty is not transferable to another party (e.g. a licensed motor vehicle dealer) if that party acquires the vehicle for the purpose of resale.

Please correct me here guys but to me, the above reads as if you have bought a car privately and there is still any factory or extended warranty in place, then it transfers to you and you can extend it. However, if it's sold to you via a non-Porsche dealership, then only factory warranty can be transferred to you as it is attached to the VIN (and warranty could be extended later) but any extended warranty cannot be transferred to you and the extended warranty cannot be renewed in future as it seems to be annulled as soon as it is sold to a non-P dealer. Further, it seems to imply that if any car is sold to you privately or via a non-P dealership and all warranties have already expired, then you won't be able to extend as it didn't expire whilst under your ownership and the only exception here is if a Porsche centre acquired the car and sold it as Porsche Approved.

Can anyone confirm whether this is or isn't the case? Thanks :)

That's how I understand it too.

If you are buying it from a dealer I think you are out of luck but if you are getting it from a private seller you can agree on a price with the previous owner, pay for the inspection to extend the warranty as your PPI and then have the warranty extended before you transfer ownership to your name. I'm sure Porsche would happily to take your money.

That's how I understand it too.

If you are buying it from a dealer I think you are out of luck but if you are getting it from a private seller you can agree on a price with the previous owner, pay for the inspection to extend the warranty as your PPI and then have the warranty extended before you transfer ownership to your name. I'm sure Porsche would happily to take your money.

thanks mate :) that's a great idea seeing as the PPI is necessary anyway. 

fake 2013 GTS (with badging) anyone?
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2013/SSE-AD-4891219