981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

what are peoples thoughts on a great buying price for this one? - I know its a grey market/private import.

its been for sale for 6 months at least - was $56000 back then.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2007/SSE-AD-4593915/?Cr=1

If it means anything to you, an Aussie delivered car would be around the same price with similar mileage. Its a buyers market with these cars, and some cars are being sold cheap because they've been on the market for a while. I would say a 'great price' is $40k, yet being as it's not a common colour, maybe $45k if it checks out ok

Got a Carsales alert about this one a couple of days ago, first 981 Cayman S <100k?

A few km's but seems like it has most of the good options like PSE, Sports Chrono and 20" wheels

Yes mate, that's the first one advertised under <$100k. It's been on there for months in VIC ;)

The silver metallic 981 Spyder at PCSS sold within a few days already... just under $200k.

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 9.24.41 am.png

Also interesting to see the Guards Red Boxster GTS with the “981 homage pack” that has been for sale on Carsales in Adelaide for circa 12 months has now turned up at either PC Brighton or Doncaster in Melbourne with an asking price more than $30k above what was being asked privately!

Someone could have had a relative bargain. This car could have been had privately for approx ~$145k as the dealer likely paid around $140k for it...

No - I'm happy with the car. No interest in returning it to them. A contract is a contract. Innocent misrepresentation is not a valid argument. If I was to play hardball - they would have to supply me with what is written on the contract. i.e. the advertised wheels and tyres. Hey - but I'll be nice.

Congrats on the 987.2!!! :) Nice one. What ended up happening when you contacted them about the mistake?

Yes mate, that's the first one advertised under <$100k. It's been on there for months in VIC ;)

The silver metallic 981 Spyder at PCSS sold within a few days already... just under $200k.

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 9.24.41 am.png

Someone could have had a relative bargain. This car could have been had privately for approx ~$145k as the dealer likely paid around $140k for it...

Congrats on the 987.2!!! :) Nice one. What ended up happening when you contacted them about the mistake?

In the end I just let it be. 

Public service announcement: Price drop on that Agate Grey 981 Cayman S in case anyone's OK for higher 72,500 kms in PDK. This will be the lowest priced Cayman S in 1.5 years that I've come across, asking for $84,990 EGC, lower than all base Caymans advertised (lowest base Cayman I've seen sold was $80k EGC a year ago). Comes with warranty too... But I can't be stuffed flying interstate to buy it as an interim car and having to sell it again. Hopefully someone grabs this before I change my mind :P

Ad says: *******MASSIVE PRICE DROP FOR QUICK SALE - Already Signed a Contract for Another Car *******

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Cayman-2014/SSE-AD-4954470

cp5442822395061466023.jpg?pxc_method=cro

49 minutes ago, 981KMan said:

Public service announcement: Price drop on that Agate Grey 981 Cayman S in case anyone's OK for higher 72,500 kms in PDK. This will be the lowest priced Cayman S in 1.5 years that I've come across, asking for $84,990 EGC, lower than all base Caymans advertised (lowest base Cayman I've seen sold was $80k EGC a year ago). Comes with warranty too... But I can't be stuffed flying interstate to buy it as an interim car and having to sell it again. Hopefully someone grabs this before I change my mind :P

Ad says: *******MASSIVE PRICE DROP FOR QUICK SALE - Already Signed a Contract for Another Car *******

Sounds like the perfect interim car for you!

Only an hours flight to Melbourne :)

This is cheap compared with the next Cayman running at about $110k (from a Porsche dealer). But this car has 50,000 more kilometers on it. I guess you have to factor that in. Is 50,000 km worth a $25 k discount? As most Caymans seem to clock up around 10,000 km / yr - the cheaper cayman with 72,0000 km sounds like it's priced right. Personally I'd spend an extra $25k for 50,000km.

1 hour ago, Oldknees said:

This is cheap compared with the next Cayman running at about $110k (from a Porsche dealer). But this car has 50,000 more kilometers on it. I guess you have to factor that in. Is 50,000 km worth a $25 k discount? As most Caymans seem to clock up around 10,000 km / yr - the cheaper cayman with 72,0000 km sounds like it's priced right. Personally I'd spend an extra $25k for 50,000km.

Depends on what you want, it would be a good car to buy if you plan to drive it as you can extend the warranty out for anouther 6 years/128km's and be worry free.

Also you probably save yourself 5k+ a year in depreciation over the next 3 years because the more expensive lower km car will depreciate faster.

23 hours ago, 981KMan said:

@Fraz this is a bargain

3 hours ago, Oldknees said:

...... Is 50,000 km worth a $25 k discount? As most Caymans seem to clock up around 10,000 km / yr - the cheaper cayman with 72,0000 km sounds like it's priced right. Personally I'd spend an extra $25k for 50,000km.

Given that the likely serviceable life of this car would be measured in hundreds of thousands of kilometres then if you plan to actually drive the car for many years and not keep it in a garage then who cares about the kms it has.  $25k buys a lot of anything (which could include less debt).

History will show that regardless of how many kms a vehicle has done, it will eventually bottom out and have a base $ value.  Depreciation on cars is always going to hurt so you may as well use it as the manufacturer intended ie fill it with fuel, drive it and repeat, and service it as needed.

If you're considering something at this price point as an 'interim' car then you've enough dough to buy, drive and sell and drop money on it.

On 11/25/2017 at 11:58 AM, 981KMan said:

....... But I can't be stuffed flying interstate to buy it as an interim car and having to sell it again. Hopefully someone grabs this before I change my mind :P

You can buy this remote controlled.  I'm sure that are enough PFA people between Melbourne and Sydney that can do the test drive, pickup (once paid for by you), drive to Vic/NSW border, drive to Canberra, drive to Sydney......

34 minutes ago, keg_guts said:

Goes down to $84.9K, attracts a bit of chat, then goes back up to $94.9K and sells.

WTF?

Haha I have a feeling it sold at the $85k range, then at the buyer's request, it might have been put back up to a higher price. I've seen this done a few times where I knew what the seller actually sold it at but they put the price back up after it sold in case the buyer wants to sell at a later date and wants people to think they bought it for a higher amount. A long shot that future buyers would know but I guess it's a possibility if they're tracking all the prices like I am! 

4 hours ago, jakroo said:

Given that the likely serviceable life of this car would be measured in hundreds of thousands of kilometres then if you plan to actually drive the car for many years and not keep it in a garage then who cares about the kms it has.  $25k buys a lot of anything (which could include less debt).

History will show that regardless of how many kms a vehicle has done, it will eventually bottom out and have a base $ value.  Depreciation on cars is always going to hurt so you may as well use it as the manufacturer intended ie fill it with fuel, drive it and repeat, and service it as needed.

If you're considering something at this price point as an 'interim' car then you've enough dough to buy, drive and sell and drop money on it.

You can buy this remote controlled.  I'm sure that are enough PFA people between Melbourne and Sydney that can do the test drive, pickup (once paid for by you), drive to Vic/NSW border, drive to Canberra, drive to Sydney......

You make a fair point there :) I did end up enquiring with the seller anyway and making an offer but didn't hear back from the seller so I assume I was too late to the party. I have family down in Melbourne who could have inspected and I could've just left the car with them and organised transport or drove it back myself when less busy. I think I just wasn't invested enough and didn't want it bad enough to bother doing all the paperwork etc, knowing how long this seller took to sell it (close to 5 months) presumedly due to the higher kms. It wasn't my preferred transmission or colour and I'm terribly short on time at the moment - I would have preferred to have seen the car before putting that amount of money down too. Much easier if local. 

I think if the buyer (wonder if it's someone seeing this thread - if so, say hi!) isn't going to put many kms on it and keep it for a longer while, then over time it's going to work out well for them as other similar year cars catch up in terms of mileage and they're going to take less of a depreciation hit when selling later.

On 01/12/2017 at 6:04 PM, nytelfer said:

Interesting to see the 6-sp manual Racing Yellow GTS Cayman has reappeared on Carsales today - now registered in NSW, an extra 3000km than when last listed back in May and price reduced to $190k (-10k).

I think it was that price when it got pulled last.  He is in for a shock though...

On 07/08/2017 at 9:19 AM, Oldknees said:
On 07/08/2017 at 10:55 AM, Chris-p said:
On 05/08/2017 at 4:20 PM, NBTBRV8 said:
On 05/08/2017 at 4:20 PM, NBTBRV8 said:
On 23/08/2017 at 9:55 AM, Oldknees said:

3 minutes ago, 981KMan said:

Yes that is my old car, it appears to be worth a lot more now.  Didn't keep it long, but he is a dealer.

Well, the time has come.  Mine has to go either side of Xmas - new toy on the way and short of either a subterranean garage or off-site storage there is no room (trust me, I have investigated both options). 

Will be listing on the usual sites in the next week or so but thought it reasonable to see what you guys think is a decent price, plus I couldn't handle the ridicule if I get it wrong :P

• Cayman S
  • MY16 (July 15 build, Jan 16 reg)
  • 20" Carrera S wheels in Platinum
  • PDK
  • Sports Chrono
  • Currently at 13,200km

and a few other bits but that is the important stuff.

I have loved every moment in this car and know i will regret selling it in years to come, will probably end up buying another one when space allows.

Hard to price given stock and motivation, you guys have been watching the market, where would you price it (car is in Vic)?

mai4W6e.jpg?1

pzBcKCF.jpg?1

KPYYGkD.jpg?1

QhQn3aX.jpg?1

On 6 December 2017 at 9:57 AM, NBTBRV8 said:

Yes that is my old car, it appears to be worth a lot more now.  Didn't keep it long, but he is a dealer.

Should be able to pickup a GT4 for not much more than that so I don't imagine it will sell at that price (nor the yellow one in the 180s)

2 hours ago, AB_981 said:

Hard to price given stock and motivation, you guys have been watching the market, where would you price it (car is in Vic)?

Great looking car and spec :) $110k-$120k is the going rate for a spec like that. Since your car's newer and has lower kms, dealerships would probably be selling them over $120k+ driveaway so you might be able to get closer to $120k. The guys advertising for $130k+ don't end up selling for months on end so with your new toy on the way, I think you may need to stick to that range. I've watched the market for close to 1.5 years now but some of the recent buyers might be able to add their thoughts. Also, the Sapphire Blues I've noticed take a little longer to sell compared to say the black, white, gray and silver cars. Cheers and good luck :)