981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

On 10/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, AB_981 said:

Well, the time has come.  Mine has to go either side of Xmas - new toy on the way and short of either a subterranean garage or off-site storage there is no room (trust me, I have investigated both options). 

Will be listing on the usual sites in the next week or so but thought it reasonable to see what you guys think is a decent price, plus I couldn't handle the ridicule if I get it wrong :P

• Cayman S
  • MY16 (July 15 build, Jan 16 reg)
  • 20" Carrera S wheels in Platinum
  • PDK
  • Sports Chrono
  • Currently at 13,200km

and a few other bits but that is the important stuff.

I have loved every moment in this car and know i will regret selling it in years to come, will probably end up buying another one when space allows.

Hard to price given stock and motivation, you guys have been watching the market, where would you price it (car is in Vic)?

mai4W6e.jpg?1

@AB_981 Congrats for selling your car :D Didn't take you too long, you priced it just right and hope you got a fair deal on it. What are you getting to replace it?

In case anyone is looking for the numbers for manual 981 Cayman Ss, @MrMud has kindly solved this mystery: 

981KMan,

Thanks for the credit re: Manuals. So, this was your car? I'm just catching up and may not have been a PFA member when this posted. You seem pretty hell bent on a manual. If I remember it's GTS, S then base - correct? Or, do you have an issue with space and the entire idea is on hold.

Shame to have moved such a low K version on.

B

@MrMud Sorry, feels like I'm following you around the forum! Ah that Sapphire Blue one was another member's car who was on the thread earlier asking for the going rate. They priced it well and I noticed it sold pretty quick so good on them :)  I'm still hellbent on a manual and will not compromise on that. I would love a GTS but the boss will only permit budget for an S or base. No space issue, I wish I had that problem. My garage is ready for my future queen to live in :D Got a brand new security door installed for the garage and moving all my tools and garden stuff out of the garage to my new manshed so that the garage is empty for her! The family car will get some paint protection and demoted to driveway living... Have you done any work to your car since you bought it? 

p.s. What do you guys reckon this base Cayman's worth? Low 80s ex on roads? / 85k inc?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Cayman-2015/OAG-AD-15526579/?_ga=2.144231925.1907827529.1515996047-1845606059.1493024225

I see you have a dilemma re: your next car. My advice is loosen your attraction to the colour and wheels type but stay focussed on a manual (hopefully with PSE and PASM). As the data shows there are not a lot around and your dream version may not even exist. BTW - wouldn't you love to dive into the PCA stats a little deeper and see all the variables (colour, rims and options). You'd be able to screw right down on individualism. Back to your selection. As much as you like red, I reckon you'd fall in love with your Cayman regardless of colour. I badly wanted my car to have 20" Sport Techno rims but the bastard who first owned wasn't thinking of me when he made the order:o ! I'll take that a step further, you could always paint your rims and wrap your car. I'm inclined to make cosmetic changes but not tinker with hardware. 

Work on my car... I had an oil change last November. Window tint two weeks ago. Tomorrow its going in for paint correction / detail and having a ceramic coat applied. Still working on a place to put the phone. Think I'll be doing new rubber, rotors and discs in the next 6 months. 

Love it.

Mr Mud, 

I see Suncoast Porsche in Florida has Sport Techno Wheel packages for the type 981 currently at US$6,695 or 19% off their usual price - after shipping and tyres, you could update your Carrera S alloys at (say) AU$15,000 - bargain!

Hi David,

That is going to some trouble and expense. Brighton will also sell me 4x with tyres at AU$15K. I think this is why you take what you get and just be grateful.

BTW, I'm meeting some PFA guys at Point Ormond on Saturday for the drive down. If you aren't already there you could jump on the convoy.

3 hours ago, MrMud said:

I see you have a dilemma re: your next car. My advice is loosen your attraction to the colour and wheels type but stay focussed on a manual (hopefully with PSE and PASM). As the data shows there are not a lot around and your dream version may not even exist. BTW - wouldn't you love to dive into the PCA stats a little deeper and see all the variables (colour, rims and options). You'd be able to screw right down on individualism. Back to your selection. As much as you like red, I reckon you'd fall in love with your Cayman regardless of colour. I badly wanted my car to have 20" Sport Techno rims but the bastard who first owned wasn't thinking of me when he made the order:o ! I'll take that a step further, you could always paint your rims and wrap your car. I'm inclined to make cosmetic changes but not tinker with hardware. 

Work on my car... I had an oil change last November. Window tint two weeks ago. Tomorrow its going in for paint correction / detail and having a ceramic coat applied. Still working on a place to put the phone. Think I'll be doing new rubber, rotors and discs in the next 6 months. 

Love it.

Yes completely agree with you. So long as it's manual, everything else can be retrofitted. Even the colour to an extent although much easier to get it in the exact colour! 

She sounds like a keeper and you're having lots of fun with her!!! Would be great to see photos after the detail, she'll come up stunning!

Have you checked out this site for used Sport Techno rims? I think we pay the ex-VAT price...but likely we would need to pay customs/duty/GST when it lands here...   https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequipment-shop/model-Cayman-981C/33/Wheels-Rims-and-accessories/Wheel-rims/219

I'll post some pics but it already photographs pretty well although swirls are visible to the eye. Hopefully it pops. I did not know of that rim website. I had a peep but am fearful that I might become too tempted. I reckon the wife might notice the difference and... :PissedOff:

20 hours ago, 981KMan said:

@AB_981 Congrats for selling your car :D Didn't take you too long, you priced it just right and hope you got a fair deal on it. What are you getting to replace it?

Thanks, I did give it a price drop because it had to go.  Got a call 2 hours after the drop and it was sold.  Car is getting shipped in the next few days, don't know if the buyer is on here so won't disclose anymore.  I have sent him the forum details.

Have had 5 other inquiries, 2 I would say were genuine, 2 tyre kickers and one a dreamer :rolleyes:

As for the new one, all will be revealed next week.... hopefully.

13 hours ago, MrMud said:

I'll post some pics but it already photographs pretty well although swirls are visible to the eye. Hopefully it pops. I did not know of that rim website. I had a peep but am fearful that I might become too tempted. I reckon the wife might notice the difference and... :PissedOff:

You might want to be careful about looking around the site any further. It doesn't just have rims, there's plenty of other Porsche goodies as well :D

6 hours ago, AB_981 said:

Thanks, I did give it a price drop because it had to go.  Got a call 2 hours after the drop and it was sold.  Car is getting shipped in the next few days, don't know if the buyer is on here so won't disclose anymore.  I have sent him the forum details.

Have had 5 other inquiries, 2 I would say were genuine, 2 tyre kickers and one a dreamer :rolleyes:

As for the new one, all will be revealed next week.... hopefully.

Nice one :) Looking forward to seeing your new ride. 

1 hour ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Isn't this a stupid thing to say in your ad "For collectible appeal it was not heavily optioned".  Basically the seller is trying to justify why they didn't buy any desirable options.  Good luck with the price too for such a plain car: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/SSE-AD-5202211/

Strange wording for an add however I guess there are not too many options left to tick with a Cayman GTS they are essentially an S with a lot of options ticked, smidge more power and cheaper than a similarly optioned S !

8 hours ago, Grimmy said:

Strange wording for an add however I guess there are not too many options left to tick with a Cayman GTS they are essentially an S with a lot of options ticked, smidge more power and cheaper than a similarly optioned S !

I disagree.  I stopped ticking at $50K.

22 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I disagree.  I stopped ticking at $50K.

Really, on a GTS. I didnt think there was too much left to tick. Obviously I’m very mistaken!

I guess burmeister, carbon seats, paint to sample would add a nice chunk alone

4 minutes ago, Grimmy said:

Really, on a GTS. I didnt think there was too much left to tick. Obviously I’m very mistaken!

I guess burmeister, carbon seats, paint to sample would add a nice chunk alone

I could have kept on going, with alcantara visors, carbon sills but I had to stop.  This is my old car:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-5131616

Generally people under-spec cars, and I get annoyed when they sell them saying that they are fully optioned, when they only have one or two at best.

On 17/01/2018 at 9:13 PM, AB_981 said:

Cat is out of the bag ....  

Very nice cat! :D Congrats!!! Perfect upgrade.

On 18/01/2018 at 6:40 AM, NBTBRV8 said:

I could have kept on going, with alcantara visors, carbon sills but I had to stop.  This is my old car:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-5131616

Sold (again)! (Not to me yet...)

image.png.ae1d6c58a940dae686eb65a01e5b031d.png

5 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Assuming the above sold for listed price (which it wouldn't), why would a buyer not upgrade to this below, assuming it sells for listed price (which it wouldn't)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/SSE-AD-5159835/?Cr=5

2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 981 Manual MY16

Firstly not everybody wants a winged track focused car with cage and buckets.  Additionally you are going to pay at least $20K more no matter the final asking price.

2 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Yep your first point track focus not for everyone agreed .....2nd, I don't think the extra 20k would be an issue, you'll pick it back up at the other end, most probably more 

But you're assuming that every buyer has the extra $20K to spend.  They are different cars in different segments with minimal overlap.

One might argue the GT4 is a bit too "hard core" for the road, especially if one might not ever plan to track it, and the GTS is more suitable as a daily driver or road car. The extra $20k could be invested or put aside for maintenance or other enhancements. Or it could have even been just personal preference, i.e. body kit, colour, wing, etc. 

23 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

But you're assuming that every buyer has the extra $20K to spend.  They are different cars in different segments with minimal overlap.

Yep, IMO 99% of buyers of either of these late model GT Caymans could "easily afford" the extra 20k without missing a beat . I'd easily wager that if a buyer has enough net worth and cashflow to hold 169k in a car, or enough net worth and cashflow to make company or personal payments on a car that is not a necessary thing to own, (and some owners would see either of these as a type of investment if held for the long haul)  then it follows on they can easily hold or make payments on an extra 20k in a car like this. Yeah sure, some may choose not to pay 20k extra for a similar type of toy