981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

Sorry. My bad. I was looking at the other black one. $94 is probs not too bad as an approved car. It will have 12mths warranty and you can keep extending it I think out to ten yrs from new. Black sucks to keep clean though. 

If it is at PCBrisbane then negotiating should be interesting. 

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, twro said:

Hi, I am researching to buy a 981 Boxster, and trying to understand if there is any difference between a 2012 and a 2014 model (both PDK)?

Thanks for any help

We have 2013 981 Boxster, PDK, 2.7 engine.  Love it, big upgrade for us from 2005 987 Boxster S, don't miss the manual at all now, love PDK, reckon this 2.7 has more power than the 3.2 had!!!.  Paid $77k 6 months ago for a car with 23,500kms, sports chrono, flappy paddle wheel.  I'm pretty much dead certain that if you have a PDK you HAVE to have the flappy paddle wheel, I don't think the push button wheel would give anywhere as satisfying drive experience.......

The 2012 should be less BUT, you must know your subject matter. The cars can be highly (and expensively) personalised. A 2012 may have many features not included  in the 2014. At the same k's the 2012 could cost more. 

Does it have;

PASM

PSE

PTV

Bose Stereo

Sports Chrono

Leather

Stitching

Heated Seats

4, 14 or 18 way seats

20" Rims

Metallic paint

36 minutes ago, twro said:

Yes agreed, by “like-for-like” I meant also with the same options. Thanks again.

You would always argue that the older car is worth less, even if everything else is similar (mileage, options etc). 

Also, may not be the case for you, but if you were borrowing for the car (chattel mortgage for example), the difference in age would most likely cause a difference in finance terms being offered (eg length of contract).  

There were a couple of minor equipment upgrades during the 981 model run that helped support annual price increases - the other point to note is that some colours were discontinued and other added across the model years - for example an Aqua Blue Boxster or Amaranth Red Cayman were only available as MY12 & MY13 cars respectively.

All MY15 Boxsters & Caymans (delivered locally from mid 2014) received the tyre pressure monitoring system and MY16 Boxsters (mid 2015 deliveries onwards) added 14-way electric seats and multi function steering wheel (and front parking sensors on GTS models) - prices did not increase for MY16 Caymans albeit they received the multi function steering wheel and front parking sensors (and heated seats for GTS models).

As per MrMud’’s guidance, it is important to understand the exact specification of a car you are considering as the range of options was vast with a high degree of potential for customisation and it will help understand the difference in asking price between two outwardly similar cars - while the original cost of a specific option does not carry across to second hand prices, second hand pricing (as a general rule) is very specification dependant. If you are unsure, Porsche Australia will provide the data card for a specific VIN number. 

On 28/06/2019 at 14:45, MrMud said:

Thank you nytelfer. You made a few points I was unaware of. Although I do know that Dark Blue metallic was discontinued in the Cayman. I'm quite fond of that colour. :)

Dark Blue Metallic just about as hard as black to keep clean, just ask me how I know, particularly as it's my wife's daily 😞 

PSA:

Rare Manual, white, 981 Cayman, low kms: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-porsche-cayman-s-981-manual/SSE-AD-6175817/

Manual GTS Cayman, apparently! https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-porsche-cayman-gts-981-manual-my16/OAG-AD-17372810/

In case anyone is looking for these unicorns :) Good luck!

Great to see this thread still alive and kicking. I've since shifted my goal to a 718 Spyder or 981 Spyder/GT4 depending on how things go...

Hey @981KMan - will be Interesting to see details of the White GTS manual when PCSS post photos and add detail on the specification - from my records, this is the 8th manual to be listed on Carsales of the 10 manual GTS cars originally sold locally. It is also the 3rd white manual (although can’t be sure it is not a repeat until they post details). 

Little surprised this manual Boxster S hasn’t sold - it’s reasonably specified with 20” wheels, sports exhaust, sport design steering wheel & painted roll bar and suspect the price reflects a more limited market for Racing Yellow (but I like it).

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-Porsche-Boxster-S-981-Manual/SSE-AD-6130777

There are 10 x Boxster and 5 x Caymans (all 981 S models) listed on Carsales today - average price $85.2k for Boxsters vs $111.2k for Caymans - partly reflects higher average km for Boxsters (52km vs 37km) but the difference is a little wider than I expected - averages are distorted by low no’s etc. but interesting to ponder!

Good post @nytelfer I didn't realise you were counting, but know that you keep a close eye on such vehicles. We think 11 manual GTS's all up don't we? Any chance you can list the known colours of the ten?

I'll start your list:

white - 3

The manual transmission GTS cars are Racing Yellow, Guards Red, Rhodium Silver, Dark Blue, 3 x White (incl. one Carrara metallic) and Agate Grey (guess who) - no idea on the remaining 2 cars. I will post a listing of the specification of each car in due course (vary from sparsely to heavily optioned).

Thanks @nytelfer That is very interesting. Such a wide variety of colours. I would love to see how the Dark Blue is spec'd. That Agate Grey might be the pick of the bunch. It's so well loved and pampered.  :)  Be well.

3 minutes ago, MrMud said:

Thanks @nytelfer That is very interesting. Such a wide variety of colours. I would love to see how the Dark Blue is spec'd. That Agate Grey might be the pick of the bunch. It's so well loved and pampered.  :)  Be well.

Actually, I know the Dark Blue. 2014 edition with tan leather interior.

The Dark Blue car is unusual for a GTS - in particular, no alcantara but rather full leather in 2-tone Black/Luxor Beige, manual sports seats, aluminium interior trim, Sport Design steering wheel & Carrera Classics.

21 hours ago, nytelfer said:

Hey @981KMan - will be Interesting to see details of the White GTS manual when PCSS post photos and add detail on the specification - from my records, this is the 8th manual to be listed on Carsales of the 10 manual GTS cars originally sold locally. It is also the 3rd white manual (although can’t be sure it is not a repeat until they post details). 

Nice one @nytelfer, cool that you're tracking them! I think there may have been a Carmine Red one, or possibly Guards Red, and quite possibly manual, but it had been written off. I saw someone advertising it for parts on carsales from memory. @NBTBRV8 I wonder if that's the other one that was delivered Oz. Did you get your new GT car by the way?

By way of confirmation, the latest white manual GTS listed yesterday by PCSS is different to the other white cars referenced above - that said, have now picked up the 2 white cars listed by different sellers in May 2017 & May 2019 are in fact the same vehicle - this particular car has had 3 private owners since originally sold by the Porsche Chellingworth in 2016. I also realise the Rhodium Silver car mentioned above is actually a PDK so the adjusted number is 6 of the 10 manuals accounted for comprising Racing Yellow, Guards Red, Dark Blue, Agate Grey and 2 x Whit(apologies for the confusion) - we can all speculate on the colours of the 4 outstanding manuals! Interesting that a couple of PDK GTS cars that have also changed hands on multiple occasions in the pre-owned market.

I saw that white one yesterday. Looks nice.

I did look at a Rhodium Silver GTS in NSW a year or so ago and it was PDK, but very nice with only 16,404kms and I thought good buying at ~$130k for PDK version.

The best 981 GTS I saw was a manual yellow with the Sport Techno style wheels. I'm pretty sure it also had ceramic brakes and it definitely had PTV/LSD which is rare for a 981 S/GTS. I think it sold for ~ $140k, but definitely one to consider for manual drivers if it comes up again.