981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

Well @Prodigy when the distancing is over we'll do a coffee and cars thing, had meant to check out the one up at the Uni. Also don't forget a base Cayman in manual could be a very nice thing too, a bit less grunt means you can push it a bit harder in the real world and get more back, that's where my last 911 shined. Can't go wrong with these cars.

2 hours ago, Bugs77 said:

Well @Prodigy when the distancing is over we'll do a coffee and cars thing, had meant to check out the one up at the Uni. Also don't forget a base Cayman in manual could be a very nice thing too, a bit less grunt means you can push it a bit harder in the real world and get more back, that's where my last 911 shined. Can't go wrong with these cars.

I'm definitely up for that, I've been to the one at UWA a few times, always some great cars there.

I'd certainly consider a base manual Cayman if one local comes available, I've even widened my search to include PDK but i think that would have to be a S, I've driven a base Boxster PDK and was a bit underwhelmed.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice colour, price is drive away too. You want that motor in that body stirred with a stick, it's one of those combinations that comes along every now and then that's just right. Nice to get one low Ks too, I'm enjoying the reality of keeping the car in good condition this time rather than spending time and money correcting or getting it up to scratch. I could have waited longer till they dropped more in price but knowing there aren't many of these I jumped in now when the cars have lost the majority of their depreciation yet this one is still close to being a brand new car,  you never know, could save me in the end, anyway that's what I told my wife. 

On 23/04/2020 at 09:20, Bugs77 said:

Nice colour, price is drive away too. You want that motor in that body stirred with a stick, it's one of those combinations that comes along every now and then that's just right. Nice to get one low Ks too, I'm enjoying the reality of keeping the car in good condition this time rather than spending time and money correcting or getting it up to scratch. I could have waited longer till they dropped more in price but knowing there aren't many of these I jumped in now when the cars have lost the majority of their depreciation yet this one is still close to being a brand new car,  you never know, could save me in the end, anyway that's what I told my wife. 

The only thing really holding me back is the lack of options, the picture in my head of my dream Cayman includes PSE and Cayman S wheels which is going to add significant $ to the purchase price of this one. There are a few heavily optioned PDK cars on the market at the moment priced similarly. Decisions...decisions. 

@NBTBRV8 - the specification on the GTS also grabbed my attention - I am fine with PDK but not sure about black wheels on a Guards Red car with yellow brake callipers (shades of Linfox?) - also cautious about PCCB from a maintenance perspective but otherwise it appears to be relatively good value against the other GTS cars currently listed on Carsales - I will have a look later this week if time permits.

21 hours ago, nytelfer said:

@NBTBRV8 - the specification on the GTS also grabbed my attention - I am fine with PDK but not sure about black wheels on a Guards Red car with yellow brake callipers (shades of Linfox?) - also cautious about PCCB from a maintenance perspective but otherwise it appears to be relatively good value against the other GTS cars currently listed on Carsales - I will have a look later this week if time permits.

This car is speced similar to what mine was and I got some good comments on the colour.  It is a cheap car for the specification.  My PCCB still looked like new at 20,000kms, so I wouldn't worry about them without you drive on lots of gravel.

• 1 year later...

It feels that prices went through the roof. I'm looking for 981 Boxster S or GTS with manual, and 2016 auto are in the $140k+ territory, and nothing available as Porsche Approved. I would think that low $100k would be more realistic, but apparently it is not. 

1 hour ago, NBTBRV8 said:

The whole market has shifted, GT cars in particular.  Buying new seems more value for money if the dealer has stock.

You're right that the brand new to my liking is not significantly more expensive. I spent a few nights playing with the configurator, usually getting towards $210k with Boxster GTS 4.0. Needless to say, I haven't driven a car with the new engine. The sound of 3.4 still sits close to my heart. 

On 21/05/2021 at 14:48, PeterSA said:

It feels that prices went through the roof. I'm looking for 981 Boxster S or GTS with manual, and 2016 auto are in the $140k+ territory, and nothing available as Porsche Approved. I would think that low $100k would be more realistic, but apparently it is not. 

How long are they taking to sell and are they actually selling for that amount? Unless they are ultra-low kms. I remember a couple of years ago a 981 Cayman GTS was selling between the $120-130k mark with low ks. 

IMO I do not think the 4.0 has much on the 981 S/GTS cars, unless you are after more hp, newer navigation system and PTV/LSD as standard. The brakes are also now larger on the 4.0 and the steering is more direct on the 718 models but probably not that noticeable unless you are going for track times or regularly driving at the limit. Of course a new car is always nice but if it is sound you are after the 981 is the go. 

On 21/05/2021 at 12:48, PeterSA said:

You are not wrong..i've been seeing 981 Cayman S's that i had saved on carsales from 12 months ago, which were originally advertised for under 100k but didn't sell, pop back up and are now asking 120k...crazy times.

I've  been looking for well over a year for the right 981s (i thought i had one lined up but that didn't eventuate 😪) will probably be another year before prices become realistic again.

14 hours ago, Prodigy said:

You are not wrong..i've been seeing 981 Cayman S's that i had saved on carsales from 12 months ago, which were originally advertised for under 100k but didn't sell, pop back up and are now asking 120k...crazy times.

I've  been looking for well over a year for the right 981s (i thought i had one lined up but that didn't eventuate 😪) will probably be another year before prices become realistic again.

That's what I noticed. I have a few cars saved on Carsales, most of them disappeared, and some came back with more ambitions price tags. Also Porsche Approved / dealers don't have much stock either. 

21 hours ago, donR said:

How long are they taking to sell and are they actually selling for that amount? Unless they are ultra-low kms. I remember a couple of years ago a 981 Cayman GTS was selling between the $120-130k mark with low ks. 

IMO I do not think the 4.0 has much on the 981 S/GTS cars, unless you are after more hp, newer navigation system and PTV/LSD as standard. The brakes are also now larger on the 4.0 and the steering is more direct on the 718 models but probably not that noticeable unless you are going for track times or regularly driving at the limit. Of course a new car is always nice but if it is sound you are after the 981 is the go. 

$120k for the ultra-low km, well-specced S is still in my mind.  I even considered 987.2 S, but I'm quite tall and there is not enough room for my left foot. Well, I'll stick to my carsales routine for sometime 🙂

It is unfortunate that the import rules are so strict. There are a few nice cars in the UK in the $80k territory. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, new member here, first post.

I've been watching the 981 market recently (this thread was a fun read) and have seen five GT4s hit the market in the last week. 

I'm not in the market for a GT4, but it seems odd so I'm curious, any reason for this? Did people just get notified of their delivery dates for 718 GT4s or something?

On 02/07/2021 at 16:55, SlowCarPls said:

Hi, new member here, first post.

I've been watching the 981 market recently (this thread was a fun read) and have seen five GT4s hit the market in the last week. 

I'm not in the market for a GT4, but it seems odd so I'm curious, any reason for this? Did people just get notified of their delivery dates for 718 GT4s or something?

I noticed the GT4s too. Basically a one per state, so it feels that a handful of new 718 arrived. Also asking price in the $180k + territory

Hello everyone, it’s my first post here. Have been reading your posts for a while and would be really grateful to get your opinion on a couple of things… I’m looking for my first Porsche and interested in a Cayman 981 or a Cayman S 981. There are not many options at the moment on Carsales and there is a particular 2014 Cayman S 981 (PDK) that seems to be well speced (PASM, 20’’ Carrera wheels, Sports Chrono and Bose sound), it is asking for 105k with 46k km on the clock - what in your opinion would be a fair price? I am contemplating on making an offer. Secondly, as I will be driving the car as a daily and my job involves quite a bit of driving (city commute not racing or driving very fast etc) so looking more for a pleasurable every day experience, in your opinion would it be a waste to have a Cayman S with good specs when a base model Cayman will work just fine? Oh will add that Bose sound system is really good to have as I can see the general consensus is it does improve the sound quality and it is important to me as I listen to a lot of music in the car :) the Carrera wheels too because they look nice, haha. Really appreciate your advice!

Hi @SpaceKitty111 & welcome - that particular car is well optioned relative to some of the other “S” models listed so price looks reasonable in the current market. There are a couple points on the specification - it has the multi-function steering wheel whereas the Sport Design wheel with proper paddles is preferred by most buyers - it can be changed but at a cost of circa $3,000. Also check if it has the front parking sensors that were a $890 option when new - the enhanced version of ParkAssist also provided the visual warning in the central display whereas the standard rear sensors gave an audible alert only - not a big deal in absolute terms but maybe important on a daily driver. Both a Cayman & Cayman S will provide a pleasurable every day driving experience - arguably the S is a waste over a base model but so is a base Cayman compared to a Corolla if it is only used for commuting - think about the weekend fun!

34 minutes ago, nytelfer said:

Hi @SpaceKitty111 & welcome - that particular car is well optioned relative to some of the other “S” models listed so price looks reasonable in the current market. There are a couple points on the specification - it has the multi-function steering wheel whereas the Sport Design wheel with proper paddles is preferred by most buyers - it can be changed but at a cost of circa $3,000. Also check if it has the front parking sensors that were a $890 option when new - the enhanced version of ParkAssist also provided the visual warning in the central display whereas the standard rear sensors gave an audible alert only - not a big deal in absolute terms but maybe important on a daily driver. Both a Cayman & Cayman S will provide a pleasurable every day driving experience - arguably the S is a waste over a base model but so is a base Cayman compared to a Corolla if it is only used for commuting - think about the weekend fun!

Welcome Spacekitty.  2nd the Sport Design flappy paddle wheel.  My wife has base 2013 Boxster which is absolutely adequate for day to day driving.  I love the PDK and the flappy paddle wheel, and I reckon the standard engine at 2.9 has more poke than the 3.2 in the 987 S we had.  We have Sports Chrono too, must admit it's pretty irrelevant for day to day driving, but might be nice if you're planning to track or have some fun at the weekend.  Our car isn't used for that as I have the GT3 for that sort of driving 🙂

6 hours ago, nytelfer said:

Thank you @nytelfer for your advice! It is much appreciated. And totally agree with your analogy with Corolla haha! Also what is your opinion regarding a warranty? It is nice to have but is it fairly essential do you think? The warranty on this car lapsed about 1.5 years ago, I checked Porche’s warranty brochure and it looks like the current owner should be able to renew it however don’t really want to trouble him/ ask if not necessary as the car is located quite far from any Porche dealership.

7 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Welcome Spacekitty.  2nd the Sport Design flappy paddle wheel.  My wife has base 2013 Boxster which is absolutely adequate for day to day driving.  I love the PDK and the flappy paddle wheel, and I reckon the standard engine at 2.9 has more poke than the 3.2 in the 987 S we had.  We have Sports Chrono too, must admit it's pretty irrelevant for day to day driving, but might be nice if you're planning to track or have some fun at the weekend.  Our car isn't used for that as I have the GT3 for that sort of driving 🙂

Thank you @TwoHeadsTas for sharing your experience! Looks like you have a few different options, lucky you 😄 Who knows, maybe I’ll get into tracking if we manage to secure a well speced Cayman S! I have been looking for well over a month and it is quite difficult to come across one that ticks all the boxes and still reasonably priced…