981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

On 08/07/2021 at 09:40, Stove said:

That’s the one! I don’t know why I thought it was PCBrisbane clearly it says BMW in the background. I have a clean 2010 135i to trade as well so being a BMW dealer that may work in my favour. Good to hear regarding the Sports Design wheel, I can look to change that down the track 

How did you go? Did you go and have a look at thr car?

One thing i did notice from the pics, although probably not a big deal, is that the PSE may have been fitted after initial delivery, the exhaust button is in the incorrect spot on the console. 

17 minutes ago, nytelfer said:

@Prodigy - interesting pick-up on the position of the PSE button - mine sits in the middle of the RHS console switches b/w the spoiler & and auto stop/start buttons.

Exactly, that's where i believe all factory optioned PSE buttons are located. This one is below them which indicates to me they installed it later and just put it in the first vacant spot.

20 hours ago, Prodigy said:

Just noticed this manual CS up for auction, looks decent, only concern is it says one of the panels appears to have been repainted, may indicate a bit of a bingle although also states no bodywork damage. 🤷‍♂️ 

Anyone purchased from an Auction before?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2013-porsche-981-cayman-s-1

Selling at auction seems like a great way to avoid buyers who want to scrutinise the vehicle thoroughly. I'd be suspicious.

On 15/07/2021 at 14:07, Prodigy said:

How did you go? Did you go and have a look at thr car?

One thing i did notice from the pics, although probably not a big deal, is that the PSE may have been fitted after initial delivery, the exhaust button is in the incorrect spot on the console. 

Yes I had a look and drove the car. I think it made me realise going for the base I would miss the power and I will need to look at S instead (either Boxster or Cayman) 

The car itself was fine, but not the cleanest example. 3 owner car. It was not on consignment. The dealer was pretty insistent that it would be possible to renew the warranty even having gone through the dealer, apparently one of their staff who moved to Porsche had done the same on a GT3. No way I’d be buying under that assumption without something in writing from Porsche stating such.

The PSE exhaust didn’t sound as aggressive as I remember it being. Last one I drove a couple of years back I remember being very aggressive on overrun and this didn’t have the same level of pops and gurgles. 
Didn’t get any follow up from the dealer. 
The search continues! 

17 minutes ago, Stove said:

The dealer was pretty insistent that it would be possible to renew the warranty even having gone through the dealer, apparently one of their staff who moved to Porsche had done the same on a GT3. No way I’d be buying under that assumption without something in writing from Porsche stating such.

Good call. That's like a Real Estate agent saying you don't a conveyancer to review the contract.

When I sold a car with a Porsche Extended warranty I got a call to ask if it can be transferred and info shared with the new owner, all you need is the last owner to say he traded the car to void it.

On 16/07/2021 at 09:31, the_sovereign_man said:

Selling at auction seems like a great way to avoid buyers who want to scrutinise the vehicle thoroughly. I'd be suspicious.

Perfect analogy 👍

It's like me selling my car for a fixed price, yet any caller is told I won't be getting a ppi done, nor can you or anyone else have a look at it, just hand over the cash 👍

• 3 weeks later...

How is the market watch for the 981 hunters going?

I've been offered 70-80 for base models, and as low as 94 for a low km S with near-GTS spec.

GTSs and GT4s seem to be sticking around on carsales for awhile at some fairly high prices (along with a few optimistic S ads).

All in all, prices seem to be coming off their COVID peak, and back down to where they were late 2019 early 2020, or even lower for cars that have aged a bit since then.

Anyone else got any general observations on the market at the moment?

I've been watching the 981 S and GTS models quite closely.  When you say "I've been offered", do you mean "I made an offer of" ?  94K for a good Spec low km (Sub 20k?) 981-S would be a bargain (depending on condition of course)

981 GTS on Carsales look to be about 20k over-priced in my opinion, which is why they are sitting for a while.

981 S - I'd say about the same (perhaps 10-15k over)

Both S and GTS models that pop up for the more realistic figures, particularly those at Porsche Centres, tend to sell within days.

I'd suggest there are quite a few 'speculative' sellers out there who have put up a price, and happy to sell if they get it, but not really needing or wanting to sell.  I must say I've thought about doing that myself... but I don't actually want to part with my GTS regardless of the price.

Not so sure that prices are coming off the COVID peak - with short supply from factory, semi-conductor issues affecting available options, the ageing of the 718 models, and the desirability of the 981 (based on engine/exhaust theatrics, value for money and close-enough-to-718 performance)... I think the market is likely to hold for some time.  Just my opinion 😉

12 minutes ago, Beau said:

I've been watching the 981 S and GTS models quite closely.  When you say "I've been offered", do you mean "I made an offer of" ?  94K for a good Spec low km (Sub 20k?) 981-S would be a bargain (depending on condition of course.

😉

Great to hear others' views, thanks for sharing!

The story with the quoted text is that I had made some enquiries and went for a test drive, and the seller came back to me offering to sell for 94k. I decided in the end that it wasn't the colour/wheel/spec combo for me so I didn't go for it. I got the price range for base models by simply enquiring about sellers' lowest prices.

I agree with your comments on the S/GTS pricing, but I do think that we're over the little COVID spike (i.e. prices went up between early 2020 and now, now getting back to where they were, and will probably continue to hold/lose value at the usual rate from here). 

Would be great to hear more from anyone else watching this thread.

10 minutes ago, SlowCarPls said:

No worries - and you could be right about the pricing... advertised prices don't mean much if cars aren't actually selling.  For all those wanting to get into the market (and for those like me who are looking at moving into different models) I do hope that it settles at some stage!

I eyeballed this example when I dropped my car off for servicing yesterday https://porschegoldcoast.com.au/cars-for-sale/all/Porsche/Boxster/2015-Porsche-Boxster-Convertible-/1100293

It's not without cosmetic issues, but probably nothing that a competent detailer couldn't address. The service advisor suggested they're over paying for trades at the moment as it's the only way they can get used stock. He also suggested that they cannot do that indefinitely, the musical chairs analogy was used. 

@the_sovereign_man - was the alcantara trim on the Boxster GTS one of the cosmetic issues you refer to as the photos suggest the driver seat looks to have heavy wear after 91,000km? I will be interested to see how long it stays on the market. Asking price is obviously reflective of higher km but note it is drive away. I have received a couple of approaches from dealers in the last 6 months asking if I want to sell my car (2014 Cayman S) suggesting dealers are indeed scrambling for stock.

4 hours ago, SlowCarPls said:

My biggest surprise was 2016 Boxster Spyder (still under warranty) advertised for $174k... and it was gone within a week. 

I can see that 981 GTS tends to sit on Carsales for months without a change in price, so no real difference there, and even cars out of the warranty sits in $140k range which is a bit over. I can see that the "Covid prices" plateaued in the US, and the used market caught up there, so the prices are becoming more real there. But not much change here.

The cars sitting on a more real price seems to have red interiors. Although I quite like the white 2015 Boxster GTS (currently on hold), it is specced more for looks than performance. And I can't stand its 2-way adjustable seats, so it was a no for me. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-porsche-boxster-gts-981-auto-my15/SSE-AD-6929218/?Cr=0

5 hours ago, SlowCarPls said:

The story with the quoted text is that I had made some enquiries and went for a test drive, and the seller came back to me offering to sell for 94k. I decided in the end that it wasn't the colour/wheel/spec combo for me so I didn't go for it. I got the price range for base models by simply enquiring about sellers' lowest prices.

I agree with your comments on the S/GTS pricing, but I do think that we're over the little COVID spike (i.e. prices went up between early 2020 and now, now getting back to where they were, and will probably continue to hold/lose value at the usual rate from here). 

I've been in the market for a 981S for over 12 months so have been closely watching values, cars that were for sale back when i started looking never sold and were taken off Carsales, they have now returned within the last couple of months asking up to 20k more...they have still not sold.

The CS you were offered for 94k can i ask how much it was advertised for? I'd be happy to pay that for an excellent example but not these inflated prices.

1 hour ago, nytelfer said:

@the_sovereign_man - was the alcantara trim on the Boxster GTS one of the cosmetic issues you refer to as the photos suggest the driver seat looks to have heavy wear after 91,000km? I will be interested to see how long it stays on the market. Asking price is obviously reflective of higher km but note it is drive away. I have received a couple of approaches from dealers in the last 6 months asking if I want to sell my car (2014 Cayman S) suggesting dealers are indeed scrambling for stock.

The interior looked surprisingly "tired", that's the best way i could describe it. Not worn or damaged, just not what I would expect for a late model vehicle. There is plenty of rub marks and swirls around the body also. Maybe I'm just fussy, but to me it looked like it had been traded and not prepared for sale ... but it had been.

1 hour ago, PeterSA said:

The cars sitting on a more real price seems to have red interiors. Although I quite like the white 2015 Boxster GTS (currently on hold), it is specced more for looks than performance. And I can't stand its 2-way adjustable seats, so it was a no for me. 

This one has been up for sale on a couple of occasions - it is highly specified but in an unusual way with handling orientated X73 suspension (PASM delete) & wider Techno rims in combination with full leather trim, ventilated seats & digital TV but the standard 2-way seats.

2 hours ago, nytelfer said:

This one has been up for sale on a couple of occasions - it is highly specified but in an unusual way with handling orientated X73 suspension (PASM delete) & wider Techno rims in combination with full leather trim, ventilated seats & digital TV but the standard 2-way seats.

Oh, I did not know about the PASM delete! very unusual spec, indeed. I’m not a big fan of alcantara, so the full leather is big plus. 

9 hours ago, the_sovereign_man said:

The interior looked surprisingly "tired", that's the best way i could describe it. Not worn or damaged, just not what I would expect for a late model vehicle. There is plenty of rub marks and swirls around the body also. Maybe I'm just fussy, but to me it looked like it had been traded and not prepared for sale ... but it had been.

Even from the dealer photo's you can get a feel for the condition of the interior.

The passenger sill is trashed, the passenger seat appears to have staining in the Alcantara and the glove box Alcantara looks like it's also got staining.

I guess it's been someone's DD with the K's that are on it which equate to about 15k per year. Combined with a passenger who hasn't been too sympathetic to the interior..... definitely not an enthusiast's car. Of course, all those bits can be fixed if the rest of the car makes sense (i.e.) good service history and Warranty from Porsche (which it does) 

In normal times I would say good points for "robust" negotiation however we live in odd times at present!

7 hours ago, Grimmy said:

Even from the dealer photo's you can get a feel for the condition of the interior.

The passenger sill is trashed, the passenger seat appears to have staining in the Alcantara and the glove box Alcantara looks like it's also got staining.

I guess it's been someone's DD with the K's that are on it which equate to about 15k per year. Combined with a passenger who hasn't been too sympathetic to the interior..... definitely not an enthusiast's car. Of course, all those bits can be fixed if the rest of the car makes sense (i.e.) good service history and Warranty from Porsche (which it does) 

In normal times I would say good points for "robust" negotiation however we live in odd times at present!

You've described it perfectly. I looks like my father-in-laws car. He buys a new car every year and doesn't give a hoot about them.