981 Cayman/Boxster Market Watch / How many manual 981CS's were delivered (ANSWERED)

@Beau it appears that 3 GTS’s have disappeared from Carsales over the last couple weeks being the Agate Grey in NSW, Carrara White in SA and the Mahogany in Vic so will be interesting to understand if they are actually sold or if they will reappear at a later time. Photos for SA car didn’t do it justice as they were taken at night and the lighting was not favourable. The Mahogany car has an interesting history - it started life in Qld & was the 1st privately listed Cayman GTS on Carsales where it sat for most of calendar 2016 at an asking of $175-177k. It ended up at Duttons in May 2017 initially listed at $170k before they dropped to $160k & was purchased by a PFA member from Sydney before reappearing recently for sale in Melbourne. 

That's an interesting history file - I wonder what the story actually is as I was watching it because of its rare mahogany colour... There is also a Guards Red Cayman GTS for sale in Vic. with slightly higher km's but with (iirc) carbon brakes which also looks nice.

In  nutshell, can someone list for me the differences between the 981 GTS and the S variants? Is there also a driving difference between the two?

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

That's an interesting history file - I wonder what the story actually is as I was watching it because of its rare mahogany colour... There is also a Guards Red Cayman GTS for sale in Vic. with slightly higher km's but with (iirc) carbon brakes which also looks nice.

In  nutshell, can someone list for me the differences between the 981 GTS and the S variants? Is there also a driving difference between the two?

Hello Stephen, 

That GTS in Melbourne is Carmine Red and I think it was sold previously by Matt at Porscheden. The colour really pops with the black wheels and the yellow PCCB calipers, IMO it looks so much better than the other cars with the standard chrome multi-spoke wheels. 

Over the Cayman S the GTS gets more power (250 v 239kw), unique front mask & rear bumper lower apron, 20” wheels, Sports Chrono, PASM with a 10mm lower ride height, blacked bi-xenon headlamps, smoked tail lights, sports seats, alcantara trim & black badges.

A few nice extras over the S but it’s not a GT4 ☺️ 

2 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

That GTS in Melbourne is Carmine Red and I think it was sold previously by Matt at Porscheden.

The Carmine Red CGTS would be my choice of the cars currently on Carsales. Confirm this car was sold by Porschaden in May 2020 - I dropped past b/w lockdowns to take a look but it was already sold - asking price was $137,500 which seemed reasonable for the specification & relatively low 24,200km so the current seller has added 15,000km & is looking to sell at around his purchase price. I am not a massive fan of black wheels on any car & the Carmine Red with yellow brake calipers looks a little Linfox but nothing I couldn’t live with. I have speculated if the Carmine Red 718 GTS 4.0 currently for sale at Porschaden was originally ordered new by the same person given the specification is so similar - asking price on the 718 recently dropped from $225,000 to $210,000 but it still looks expensive when you add on road costs (compared to a similarly specified brand new one).

The Sapphire Blue CGTS has been for sale for over 12 months - originally listed at $159,950 in June 2020, later reduced to $141,500 but now increased to $145,000 so pricing has bounced around. I like the colour/wheel combination but doesn’t have the GTS communication interior package & I would want to change the multi function steering wheel for the Sport Design wheel. 

The Jet Black GTS also has the multi function steering wheel but perhaps more noteworthy, Alcantara has been deleted in favour of leather. Pricing looks ambitious at $149,000 with 46,000km.

1 hour ago, nytelfer said:

The Carmine Red CGTS would be my choice of the cars currently on Carsales. Confirm this car was sold by Porschaden in May 2020 - I dropped past b/w lockdowns to take a look but it was already sold - asking price was $137,500 which seemed reasonable for the specification & relatively low 24,200km so the current seller has added 15,000km & is looking to sell at around his purchase price. I am not a massive fan of black wheels on any car & the Carmine Red with yellow brake calipers looks a little Linfox but nothing I couldn’t live with. I have speculated if the Carmine Red 718 GTS 4.0 currently for sale at Porschaden was originally ordered new by the same person given the specification is so similar - asking price on the 718 recently dropped from $225,000 to $210,000 but it still looks expensive when you add on road costs (compared to a similarly specified brand new one).

The Sapphire Blue CGTS has been for sale for over 12 months - originally listed at $159,950 in June 2020, later reduced to $141,500 but now increased to $145,000 so pricing has bounced around. I like the colour/wheel combination but doesn’t have the GTS communication interior package & I would want to change the multi function steering wheel for the Sport Design wheel. 

The Jet Black GTS also has the multi function steering wheel but perhaps more noteworthy, Alcantara has been deleted in favour of leather. Pricing looks ambitious at $149,000 with 46,000km.

Love it, you’ve certainly done your homework. I’d seen the car previously on Matt’s website and I’d say there’s a fair chance that the 718 he has is from the same owner, probably being sold on consignment.  

The GTS’s do tend to be listed for a long time before they sell and personally at those asking prices I’d find it hard to justify the substantial increase in price over a Cayman S. 

16 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

Hello Stephen, 

That GTS in Melbourne is Carmine Red and I think it was sold previously by Matt at Porscheden. The colour really pops with the black wheels and the yellow PCCB calipers, IMO it looks so much better than the other cars with the standard chrome multi-spoke wheels. 

Over the Cayman S the GTS gets more power (250 v 239kw), unique front mask & rear bumper lower apron, 20” wheels, Sports Chrono, PASM with a 10mm lower ride height, blacked bi-xenon headlamps, smoked tail lights, sports seats, alcantara trim & black badges.

A few nice extras over the S but it’s not a GT4 ☺️ 

Thanks Leon - appreciate your uber knowledge on all things Cayman....😜

17 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

+ 35 W xenons in headlights (standard PDLS) - it does make big difference compared to the standard 25 W if you drive in night. 

There is a nicely specified Cayman S in white listed on Carsales in WA with 24,000km at $120,000 - options include PDK, PSE, PASM, Chrono, 20” Carrera alloys in platinum & rear wiper. It also has the multi function steering wheel finished in carbon which appears to be factory fitted plus some other carbon trim pieces that have been added around the gear shift & strips on the doors. If optioning from new, you needed to specify full leather trim (which this car does not have) to get the trim strips in carbon on the doors so these appear to be an after market addition? Perhaps more intriguing are the switches in the centre console as 8 of the 10 possible positions are filled - I don’t recall seeing more than 7 switches filled in any of the Porsche brochures so what is the 8th switch?

33 minutes ago, nytelfer said:

There is a nicely specified Cayman S in white listed on Carsales in WA with 24,000km at $120,000 - options include PDK, PSE, PASM, Chrono, 20” Carrera alloys in platinum & rear wiper. It also has the multi function steering wheel finished in carbon which appears to be factory fitted plus some other carbon trim pieces that have been added around the gear shift & strips on the doors. If optioning from new, you needed to specify full leather trim (which this car does not have) to get the trim strips in carbon on the doors so these appear to be an after market addition? Perhaps more intriguing are the switches in the centre console as 8 of the 10 possible positions are filled - I don’t recall seeing more than 7 switches filled in any of the Porsche brochures so what is the 8th switch?

Button #8... Triangle shaped icon. Could it be nose lift?

48 minutes ago, nytelfer said:

The "triangle" must be an aftermarket addition. There was no way to specify more than 3 buttons on the right side - spoiler, exhaust and start/stop, that's it. No nose lift, etc. available for Caymans.

The carbon also looks after market edition - but looks well executed, so I would have no issues with that.

35 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Has anyone seen my old GTS around since PC Melbourne sold it?

The only time I have seen it was in the showroom at PCM going back a couple of years - awesome spec & I recall it may have been fitted with aftermarket radiator grill guards fitted (???) that they had left in place?

1 minute ago, nytelfer said:

The only time I have seen it was in the showroom at PCM going back a couple of years - awesome spec & I recall it may have been fitted with aftermarket radiator grill guards fitted (???) that they had left in place?

If it had them they weren't fitted by me.  I recall the guy that bought from me via consignment, advertised it privately in NSW and I don't recall seeing them fitted then, but he had tinted the windows.

24 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

If it had them they weren't fitted by me.  I recall the guy that bought from me via consignment, advertised it privately in NSW and I don't recall seeing them fitted then, but he had tinted the windows

Interesting because what grabbed my attention was the grilles were secured by cable ties (indicating they were not made by Rennline or Zunsport) - it was a very neat installation & the ties were very discreet but unusual to see on a car in the main showroom.

4 hours ago, nytelfer said:

Interesting because what grabbed my attention was the grilles were secured by cable ties (indicating they were not made by Rennline or Zunsport) - it was a very neat installation & the ties were very discreet but unusual to see on a car in the main showroom.

Actually I did fit them as you have jogged my memory over the cables ties.  I bought GT4 mesh and had to cut them down as the GTS air intakes are smaller and there aren't any lugs on the back of a GTS bar like a GT4 to mount it with the proper clips.  I pulled the bar off, broke the headlight doing so as I didn't remove the headlights before removing the cover and cable tied the mesh in.

I glued the broken piece back in to the leading corner but when I sold the car the guy kicked up a real stink about it even though he missed it at the PPI and I had the buy a new headlight post sale.  It cost me $2k instead of $3k with PCH's help.  I still have the headlight too.

IMG_20171210_1141363.jpg

5 hours ago, nytelfer said:

I have been keeping a close eye on this car, options list does appear to be impressive but have been waiting for the price to hopefully drop a bit before i contact the owner to ask for the full spec list.

As for the bottom right button i sourced a better pic of the centre console from when the car was for sale previously, it appears to be for Active Aerodynamics, this was never an option for the Cayman so i am a bit confused by it tbh. 

Screenshot_20210729-073818_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 minute ago, Prodigy said:

I have been keeping a close eye on this car, options list does appear to be impressive but have been waiting for the price to hopefully drop a bit before i contact the owner to ask for the full spec list.

As for the bottom right button i sourced a better pic of the centre console from when the car was for sale previously, it appears to be for Active Aerodynamics, this was never an option for the Cayman so i am a bit confused by it tbh. 

Screenshot_20210729-073818_Samsung Internet.jpg

Do you happen to have a full frontal shot of the car?

29 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

The button has been repurposed for something no doubt.  I can't tell from the above photos because they are too dark, but being a WA car it wouldn't surprise me if it was for a radar detector or laser jammer which were only recently outlawed over there.

I would do the same, it is unlikely that even a dealer would notice the button. 

OT: Pulling the headlights out must be tricky, I've seen quite a few cars with the chipped corner of the headlight at exactly the same spot as NBTBRV8 shown on the photo. 

1 minute ago, PeterSA said:

I would do the same, it is unlikely that even a dealer would notice the button. 

OT: Pulling the headlights out must be tricky, I've seen quite a few cars with the chipped corner of the headlight at exactly the same spot as NBTBRV8 shown on the photo. 

The headlights are really easy to pull out, taking 30 seconds, I just didn't want to touch them for fear of damage but I didn't know at the time they should be removed.

I got the bumper bar cover to unclip from the drivers side ok with the headlights in, but couldn't get the passengers side to release.  The problem is the leading edge that breaks sits about 15mm over the bumper cover and to get the bumper cover off you need to pull it directly off the car horizontally, with the headlights in you need to pull the cover down then forward.  Not knowing this the bumper cover catches under the leading edge then breaks off like a ricochet.  $3k lesson learned hence why I didn't replace it at the time, it glued back in place ok and just left the appearance of a hairline crack which you couldn't notice a metre away without you knew where to look which is why the dealer never spotted it at the PPI or the buyer on first inspection.

2 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

The headlights are really easy to pull out, taking 30 seconds, I just didn't want to touch them for fear of damage but I didn't know at the time they should be removed.

I got the bumper bar cover to unclip from the drivers side ok with the headlights in, but couldn't get the passengers side to release.  The problem is the leading edge that breaks sits about 15mm over the bumper cover and to get the bumper cover off you need to pull it directly off the car horizontally, with the headlights in you need to pull the cover down then forward.  Not knowing this the bumper cover catches under the leading edge then breaks off like a ricochet.  $3k lesson learned hence why I didn't replace it at the time, it glued back in place ok and just left the appearance of a hairline crack which you couldn't notice a metre away without you knew where to look which is why the dealer never spotted it at the PPI or the buyer on first inspection.

I purchased Rennline grilles a few years ago & followed a YouTube clip that showed how to remove the front bumper on a 991 Turbo - eventually managed to remove everything (some of the electrical connectors are very difficult to access) but with the bumper assembly finally off, could not determine where exactly to screw the fixings into the rear of the bumper (instructions were vague) with the risk being I would have a screw appear through the front of the bumper. So reassembled everything & the grilles are still sitting in the packaging waiting for another attempt!

7D1ADDCA-B8C7-423B-884E-8E1BA5F1850A.jpeg