The end of petrol cars could be just eight years away

sandy468

Sorry guys (and girls) , couldn't keep my venting to myself, maybe this should be in Vent thread. 

What a load of absolute crap. Getting to the point where I can't read The Age any longer, full of such farlefty PC shite .....Some freakin headline seeking deskbound intellectual (probably never driven, public transport only, justifying his job somehow and a braindead journalist who's stupid enough to run with it - in Lee's words "what a load of codswallop"!!! I couldn't even read the trash past halfway ... hope they both choke on their tumeric halfstrength soy lattes ....

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-end-of-petrol-cars-could-be-just-eight-years-away-20170515-gw50m3.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

detail is here.  I'm no greenie and the timing is probably bullish but I reckon there's a strong likelihood unfortunately that these things will muscle in on the market in a big way.  No ICE cars sold after 2023 apparently.....at least a used GT3RS will be cheap!

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/11427-autonomous-evs/

PS haven't had any clients asking for at house with no garage.  Not yet anyway!  Come to think of it, we did build one of @Hugh's designs in Elsternwick which had no garage.  Maybe he's an early adopter.    

Funny to read this,  as I just watched a Chris Harris video driving the Drayson electric Le Mans car (dunno why, as most here know it doesn't interest me much)

Anyway, these so called experts, futurist's or theorist's (there's the operative word right there, 'THEORIST) need to wake up a bit. I often wonder how someone that gets paid a helluva lot more than I do, write a manuscript that is quite often based on only what is in their own mind, then expect the world to agree with their ramblings when it's all just a load of dreamt up bollocks to justify their 4 years of study and government grants.

In my own mind, the governments around the globe would NEVER allow fossil fuelled vehicles off the road, as they are too much of a cash cow with fuel taxes and the like. Yes I know electric cars are good for the planet blah blah blah, (save your arguments as I don't really care) and they DO have their place here on Earth, yet 8 years until they will be the ONLY vehicle on the road? Please, do me a favour and lay of the mushrooms. I swear these articles are just made to prompt people to create panic to go buy a hybrid instead of a 'normal' car

Sorry if anyone is offended by the above, but I too am over it all

Funny to read this,  as I just watched a Chris Harris video driving the Drayson electric Le Mans car (dunno why, as most here know it doesn't interest me much)

Anyway, these so called experts, futurist's or theorist's (there's the operative word right there, 'THEORIST) need to wake up a bit. I often wonder how someone that gets paid a helluva lot more than I do, write a manuscript that is quite often based on only what is in their own mind, then expect the world to agree with their ramblings when it's all just a load of dreamt up bollocks to justify their 4 years of study and government grants.

In my own mind, the governments around the globe would NEVER allow fossil fuelled vehicles off the road, as they are too much of a cash cow with fuel taxes and the like. Yes I know electric cars are good for the planet blah blah blah, (save your arguments as I don't really care) and they DO have their place here on Earth, yet 8 years until they will be the ONLY vehicle on the road? Please, do me a favour and lay of the mushrooms. I swear these articles are just made to prompt people to create panic to go buy a hybrid instead of a 'normal' car

Sorry if anyone is offended by the above, but I too am over it all

I watched a piece on CNBC this morning regarding the new Lambo and the Lambo 4wd and they interviewed the Lambo MD.  The interviewer asked about electric cars / driverless and lambo going down that route.  The MD is an eloquent way basically said not whilst he has the keys to the corner office, and his his not  convinced that fits the current lambo buyers purview. anytime soon.  He also alluded to Lambo's are made to be made to be driven by human and not via algorithms, and wasn't convinced he could extract the same exhaust note out of an electric motor. 

Yes, Seba's timeline may be a little bullish, but I'd hate to say...... it's only a matter of time. There's a percentage of the population who aren't interested in driving or even owning,  Porsches, Lambos,  or Corollas. 

Sorry guys (and girls) , couldn't keep my venting to myself, maybe this should be in Vent thread. 

What a load of absolute crap. Getting to the point where I can't read The Age any longer, full of such farlefty PC shite .....Some freakin headline seeking deskbound intellectual (probably never driven, public transport only, justifying his job somehow and a braindead journalist who's stupid enough to run with it - in Lee's words "what a load of codswallop"!!! I couldn't even read the trash past halfway ... hope they both choke on their tumeric halfstrength soy lattes ....

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-end-of-petrol-cars-could-be-just-eight-years-away-20170515-gw50m3.html

you only realise now that the age is trash?

Fairfax rags were done for about ten years back.

Hate to break it to people but the Aus electric grid is barely capable of keeping the lights on right now.  There are no new power stations being built or in planning and the lead time is 5-10 years. Several more are scheduled for closure or expensive maintenance in the next 5 years. Adding a fleet of electric cars would be a very interesting prospect for keeping the fridge on.

There will be increasing sales of electric vehicles over time as they improve and costs drop.  But it takes a very long time to go from 0% of the market to even 10%, and cars last about ten years on average.  Many decades of petrol motoring to go - and the petrol price drops over that time as demand drops.

anyone who seriosily believes that the nationwide fleet of dual cab Utes will b e traded in on electrics is probably wishful over realistic thinking.

And I am sure the oil company,s will not give up on the internal combustion engine ,,still a lot of oil available world wide not running out soon either,,,,wont happen in my life time :D

Hate to break it to people but the Aus electric grid is barely capable of keeping the lights on right now.  There are no new power stations being built or in planning and the lead time is 5-10 years. Several more are scheduled for closure or expensive maintenance in the next 5 years. Adding a fleet of electric cars would be a very interesting prospect for keeping the fridge on.

There will be increasing sales of electric vehicles over time as they improve and costs drop.  But it takes a very long time to go from 0% of the market to even 10%, and cars last about ten years on average.  Many decades of petrol motoring to go - and the petrol price drops over that time as demand drops.

anyone who seriosily believes that the nationwide fleet of dual cab Utes will b e traded in on electrics is probably wishful over realistic thinking.

There is one in the planning stage now with a view to shutting down a coal fired power station in the Hunter Valley, it will be "clean and green" if you can ever have one of those.

It will happen but like Coastr said, we will need more power to keep the cars charged, personally i think the obvious way is to power them like the early Prius, small combustion engine and electric in one package, Hybrid, this makes more sense to me. You can't just shut down the global oil industry in 8 yrs, that's just a pipe dream, actually maybe he's chooffing too much pipe.

And despite what we all thought i'm pretty sure the same batteries are still in the early Prius.

Its just a reaction piece. I'm not going to bother reading it but its the equivalent of click bait. Get people up in arms to drive more eyeballs to the site.

ICE will be in use in this country for a long time yet. No other solution when there is 500km+ between stops. None that i'd be willing to bank my life on anyway.

I meant power stations not pretend toys!  The recently closed Hazelwood station provided 25% of Victorian energy supply.  That 1600mw of power is not even close to being replaced.  The pumped storage plan doesn't generate any power, it just moves it around.  The only think keeping the lights on at the moment is manufacturing operations closing faster than power stations.

I'm all for electric cars - quiet, low maintenance, easy to drive.  But we're dreaming if we think petrol based infrastructure is going to switch to electric in the next ten years.

as for the power situation all is quiet right now as we are in the nice weather shoulder season.  By next summer things will be interesting.  I voted with my wallet and bought a generator.

Power & aero.

DSCN8080-web.jpg

Yep not just the generation but the distribution as well. Would need to replace just about every pole, wire and transformer to get enough power to its destination (car park or house)

And despite what we all thought i'm pretty sure the same batteries are still in the early Prius.

Just because they have not been replaced does not mean they still have a useful storage capacity. Battery capacity reduces every time they are cycled and with age. 

I meant power stations not pretend toys!  The recently closed Hazelwood station provided 25% of Victorian energy supply.  That 1600mw of power is not even close to being replaced.  The pumped storage plan doesn't generate any power, it just moves it around.  The only think keeping the lights on at the moment is manufacturing operations closing faster than power stations.

I'm all for electric cars - quiet, low maintenance, easy to drive.  But we're dreaming if we think petrol based infrastructure is going to switch to electric in the next ten years.

as for the power situation all is quiet right now as we are in the nice weather shoulder season.  By next summer things will be interesting.  I voted with my wallet and bought a generator.

Not only does pumped storage not generate any new power it consumes it because it is not 100% efficient. Losses would be around 20-30% so put in 100 and get 70 back. Same with battery storage you will need to generate about 30% more power compared to using the same power directly. Inefficient battery and pumped water storage is a net drain on the system requiring more power to be generated (and more CO2 produced) with the only benefit being a smoothing function. 

@Redracn do I go large on solar and a battery or two?  Undertaking a renovation and addition and would rather pour money into that than gold taps.  Plus I need to rescue my nett negative karma position due to dailying a 928GTS.

V8 being prepped with larger injectors as we speak.. GT3 driven to get loaf of bread SPORT MODE , Oh had to go get milk in Esky , Webbers 6MPG I think in second gear

Bring it , if if we are out in 8 years we may as well get it done in 6 I reckon 

@Redracn do I go large on solar and a battery or two?  Undertaking a renovation and addition and would rather pour money into that than gold taps.  Plus I need to rescue my nett negative karma position due to dailying a 928GTS.

Ive been considering an outback power system. Essentially solar pannels, battery, generator (for those cloudy weeks and occasional high use times) and off-grid inverter. Only just started on the calcs for cost /kwh over life time. But for now I do have a generator and now VIC is 20% down on capacity I expect to use it more than the couple of times/year. 

Current solar installs rely on the grid to operate and produce nothing if it fails. Tesla style batteries are a short term backup but expensive as you do not need lithium batteries for home use as light weight and compact are of no real advantage.

This stuff is not new outback style systems and uninterruptible power supplies of varying configurations have been around for a long time in industries such computer/data centers, phone exchanges, hospitals and any situation where a reliable supply is required. 

For many farmers it is now cheaper to pump water with a diesel rather than electricity so if prices continue to rise off grid solutions become more competitive. 

The way it is going those that can afford reliable power will have it while those that can not will just have to suffer. 

Could always get a virtual reality vision system for the porsche which has been attached to a generator so you can drive it in the garage (virtual mountains) while charging the EV so you can send it on an autonomous mission to get some milk and more fuel to be used to charge it.

Archived