944 turbo vs Macan GTS

That was a really interesting watch. I'm surprised to see such a time difference but goes to show the advancements of the Macan. I'd love to see a 944 Turbo with a chip and some KW's run the same lap.

Observations - Assume south course track - Macan   +1sec 0-60mph length of straights Macan + 3, Tyre quality from smoke off 944 - Macan +3, Brake pad quality Macan +2, Handling Macan (all wheel drive)+2 ! 

Equals Macan lap minus10 secs.

Conclusion - those of us with 944 Turbos wouldn't sell them for a Macan GTS !!!!   

Because they don't make them anymore and are still a great drive.

Cool comparison, I knew the Macan would be quicker, but not by that much! Luckily there's a massive aftermarket for the 944 so you can pretty much replace every single shitty old part with something newer and better. Spend a bit of money on a 951 and it will keep up with most modern sports cars.

Boo! 
They tested a 1987 944T with the TINY front brakes. :P  No wonder they were having trouble!  ... and only 217hp... I guess they tested what they had, but as OzJustin said, a chip and KWs on a 250hp base would have seen a better result, but the Macan certainly would have prevailed.  I expect they'd get a similar result with a Carrera 3.2 Vs. Macan.

The video reminded me of the top gear episodes where they purchase old super cars and then have to beat the lap time of a diesel astra etc. To me it reinforces that we don't drive old Porsches to have the fastest car, we drive them because they all have unique characters and give a driving pleasure that can't be measured by speed of the drive.

To be fair to the poor old 944, I have a 981 Cayman and a Macan GTS. the Macan is super quick and would stomp all over the Cayman everywhere street or track.  Honestly, if you could only have one car, you would be hard pressed to beat the Macan GTS. I have tried hard not to like it but that would require a level of bloody mindedness not even I am capable of. 

To be fair to the poor old 944, I have a 981 Cayman and a Macan GTS. the Macan is super quick and would stomp all over the Cayman everywhere street or track.  Honestly, if you could only have one car, you would be hard pressed to beat the Macan GTS. I have tried hard not to like it but that would require a level of bloody mindedness not even I am capable of. 

thumpson

I must ask: how many cup holders does your gts have?

good idea Tingy- the time spread would very depending on the track selection, or the answer you wanted. Of course after sorting out which 944 turbo model year, tyres & shocks. I would think the PCA video would attract a similar response world wide.

I don't think there's any reason for us 944 owners to be 'offended' by the video. I think the point of the video was to show how far tech has come, and that a modern day SUV can out perform an old sports car, not to bash on the 944. We all know that stock 944s are slow, but that they are very easy to make a lot faster with a couple of bolt ons.

I found it particularly interesting that the big heavy Macan even outhandled the 944...a car that was always praised for it's great handling. Goes to show how much better suspension you can get these days.

How close was the 944 to new condition? This could account for any lack of "performance".

but as has been said no one is rushing off to the Porsche dealer to offload their 80's Porsche...... 

I found it particularly interesting that the big heavy Macan even outhandled the 944...a car that was always praised for it's great handling. Goes to show how much better suspension you can get these days.

Back in the day the 944 didn't have to try too hard to outhandle other cars in its class. These days , Porsche has a bit more competition, hence the effort with the Macan.

I got about a minute in and stopped watching.

"We put an old small engine car against a new big engine car, you won't believe what happens next"

I've heard that GSXRs go faster than postie bikes too.

Yep. A pretty pointless comparison really, as with the advances in vehicle technology after 30 years, it would want to be a shedload faster

Porsche 968 Turbo RS 350hp vs Macan GTS 350hp

3.0L vs 3.0 L

1 turbo vs 2

Who's laughing now?

Maybe beat it, but the point of their pointless comparison was comparing what they call the upper end of the era "budget" Porsche cars (and 30 y.o.), and their calculation taking into consideration inflation is that the 944 turbo and Macan GTs are close in $ terms.

Pointless trying to compare old and new, no matter what you have.

Archived