GT3....or ???? instead? GT4 it is.

So I went and test drove 997.1 GT3 CS this week thinking I was going to haggle and buy.  Unfortunately 997 CS seats are quite a bit narrower than the perfect for me 996 ones.  I have bruised hips to prove it, extremely uncomfortable.  And strangely it just didn't feel like 415hp to the point I walked away a little disillusioned.  And at nearly $200k for a 10 year old car.....looked and sounded great though.

For months I've been considering "what else would I buy".  That Sierra RS500 is interesting.  Then I was surprised to read this:

To put its performance into perspective, Porsche’s road going race prepared 911 996 GT3 Clubsport was lapping the infamous Tsukuba circuit in 1.07.68.  The Sprit R – 1.06.47. Costing 1/3 of the price and over 1 second faster round the track – the Spirit R was out performing a specifically track focused flagship model from one the world’s most reputable supercar producers. Well played Mazda!

http://www.fabcar.com.au/thats-the-spirit/

RX7 Spirit R was the last of the line and Type A is a pseudo clubsport.  Only 1000 made worldwide.  Sub 1300kg.  Sure they look a bit limp wristed by comparison and 13B TT in stock form vs 3.6 Mezger is no comparison.  So what are they worth?  about 45-50k for the "touring" type B with recliners or up to 60k for fixed bucket type A

or for $70k (but I reckon $60k might buy it) some bloke has professionally built a 20B T with 600 rwhp - add some track seats, cage, harness, wheels and tyres and this would demolish anything on road and track

Its OK, it's a Porsche forum, I fully expect to be howled down for suggesting such blasphemy ..?  But I've owned a few contrarian cars over the years - I'm about the seat of the pants enjoyment, not appearances or status.  And in fact I don't enjoy the responsibility of being custodian of a collectible or having to consider the cars rarity and value every time I hop in.
I thought GT3 had to be ticked off but I'm not sure now.  So do I spend $50k and keep $150k in the bank and go as fast as a GT3?  Has anyone here owned one of these?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do it!   You can crowd fund a set of apex seals :P

Why not try and find one of the original rx-7 SPs which were prepared for Bathurst?

don't believe the hype about reliability.  Built properly these engines last - in fact my mechanic who is currently rebuilding my race car engine (ironic...) says the facts show they are THE most reliable race engine in the world.  It's the back yard guys that don't understand tolerances and attention to detail that build shit engines that fail and they sook about it.  My guy talked me through it with my engine on the bench in bits.  Super simple but assembly of the springs and seals etc and machining of surfaces, balancing rotor assembly etc are all critical.

SP is super rare and super expensive.  Buy a replica instead:

cp5540139754831675665.jpg?aspect=FitWith

1995 Mazda RX-7 SP Series 6 Manual

• 73,454 km
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • Rotary 13BTT R

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mazda-RX-7-1995/SSE-AD-4859442

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTaKVqlNifSJjf4-6iTByRX7 is faster.....!  You know me, never one to follow convention with cars.  Maybe try an RX7 for a while then buy your GT3 when prices plummet back to $80k ?.....unlikely.

Buy the 20B car for $60k fit some wide wheels, cage and wing and sell the current track car with a new engine.  Club reg the 20B car for weekend blasts. 

^^ nah it's like the European supermodel farted in my bed - reality didn't live up to the hype and I'm moving on to a Japanese girl next door type that caught my eye, is just as "fast" but not as glamorous

i am actually struggling to see $190k of value in GT3s to be honest.  Perhaps has more to do with the way I own and drive cars, $200k cars are just not a sensible investment for me.  

I want $50k hard and fast and if it gets thrashed and trashed and is worth $20k when I'm done so what.  

^^ nah it's like the European supermodel farted in my bed - reality didn't live up to the hype and I'm moving on to a Japanese girl next door type that caught my eye, is just as "fast" but not as glamorous

i am actually struggling to see $190k of value in GT3s to be honest.  Perhaps has more to do with the way I own and drive cars, $200k cars are just not a sensible investment for me.  

I want $50k hard and fast and if it gets thrashed and trashed and is worth $20k when I'm done so what.  

Your a boost addict, a GT3 is never going to fix the itch!  You'd really need another 6/2 or 7/2 or a TT to get the power you'd want if you stick with Porsche 

20B is bucket list motor, would definitely go for that 20B rx7.

I looked at sourcing and building a 20B BP Turbo for my S1 TX7 track car, stopped counting at about $40k.  So I had my 13B rebuilt instead under $10k.  It's fast enough.  Oh and bridgeports were cleaned up and enlarged so probably get a few more ponies anyway.  Makes that built car look bloody cheap.  It's a $50k - $60k car without the 20B and all the supporting bits.

Your a boost addict, a GT3 is never going to fix the itch!  You'd really need another 6/2 or 7/2 or a TT to get the power you'd want if you stick with Porsche 

done the Porsche Turbo thing, don't plan on going back

CUP CAR!!!!!!!!!!

yeah but heard horror stories about maintenance costs

I looked at sourcing and building a 20B BP Turbo for my S1 TX7 track car, stopped counting at about $40k.  So I had my 13B rebuilt instead under $10k.  It's fast enough.  Oh and bridgeports were cleaned up and enlarged so probably get a few more ponies anyway.  Makes that built car look bloody cheap.  It's a $50k - $60k car without the 20B and all the supporting bits.

exactly. i reckon grab it and experience it while you can. if you change your mind, can get a Gt3 later. the other way around would be harder! 20b's thin on the ground

done the Porsche Turbo thing, don't plan on going back

haha  "gt3 didn't feel like 415hp" = +1 on boost addict diagnosis comment from q1w2e3r4

Like your home mechanics comment on modifying rx7's, same applies to Porsche turbo's.   If your ever in Sydney, reckon q1w2e3r4  could change your mind very quickly on the P turbo comment. (take your pick, 996 or 997)  Not all modded boosted P cars are alike and select your turbo's and tuner wisely me thinks.   Eg, Same principles you mention on your built rx7 motor  applies to say a 996 turbo. Both q1w2e3r4 and I are onto a mechanic / turbo builder  / engine builder  who also tunes select P cars  that's into zero tolerance clearances on one area of the 996 turbo that many dismiss and overlook.

I did get up it along the freeway but granted only a short squirt 2nd, 3rd gear.  I'm sure they are great, I'd be foolish to suggest otherwise given rave reviews but just didn't have the poke I expected.  Maybe rob had the handbrake half on ?

I was more focussed on the agony of sitting on a angle with my arse half wedged into the seat.  Felt like my pelvis was 50mm wider than the carbon shell of the seat.  

Archived