Best 911 for the road

bear924

Following on with the themes from:

and

If one wanted to purchase a 911 for use on the street, what would you buy? 

I found an interesting article discussing this exact question. They didn't consider anything water cooled however if you feel there is an argument for a water cooled 911 to be the top pick,  mount your case.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1605-experts-help-you-decide-on-an-air-cooled-porsche-911/

What I did find interesting in the article is how often the SC was suggested. Quote "By far, the model that treated its owners the best, smiles per mile, was the 911SC of 1978 to 1983." Surely I haven't lucked onto the pinacle of 911 ownership ;-).

Would prefer us not to detour into other Porsches. Not that I don't think they are aren't all great cars (I'm a 924 fan after all), more to keep us on topic and avoid re -determining (refer 'how fast, is fast enough thread) that the 986 Boxster is the best Porsche for the road.

My 81 SC is probably the best allrounder of all the 911's I've owned 

It was reasonably priced in todays market , drives extremely well, sounds brilliant with SSI's, has plenty of power & looks good

Very high in the smiles per mile rating 

The SC always comes up with these types of articles.  I think it's because they were produced in big numbers but were actually a pretty big step forward at the time.

if the 911 had been killed after 83 as planned it would be the most sought after.  But because it ran to the 993 those are really the ones to have.

I also recall you loved your 996 too.  Maybe because it was your first?

Your right Peter, first love, always hard to forget. A real conundrum, which Porsche is hard to love? (can of worms opening soon!!! take shelter).

Anything Porsche with an A/C that works in Aus.

I was going to say WTH then I remembered I'm not really in Australia, the holiday isle doesn't really count.

btwI did a lot of research into which 911 to buy (from ancient to new) and ended up with an early SC, initially as a daily driver - until other dogs followed me home... absolutely no regrets.

Define your "road" , define your climate and then define your need (& your spouse/GFs) for luxury, amenity and safety. That narrows the choice considerably.

I did today , even though a thunderstorm was just starting to drop its load. Life's too short to wait for perfect days every time.

If you didn't live on the Rainy Isle, you wouldn't have to wait ... ;)

If you didn't live on the Rainy Isle, you wouldn't have to wait ... ;)

But ranking our capital cities from driest to wettest throws up a few surprises.

Adelaide’s mean annual rainfall is 543.9mm, comfortably Australia’s driest capital city.

But you could throw a blanket over the next three cities — Hobart, Canberra and Melbourne.

Hobart (614.0mm), Canberra (616.4mm) and Melbourne (648.3mm) show that southeastern Australia is arguably the driest populated region in Australia.

Next is Perth, noted for its long summer dry spells, with a mean annual rainfall of 728.1mm.

So Hobart is one of the driest capitals, while Perth gets more rain than Melbourne and is in the wetter half of the field?

Bureau of Meteorology climate monitoring manager Karl Braganza explains.

“Hobart surprises some people being the second driest city after Adelaide, but it lies in the rain shadow of Mount Wellington,” Dr Braganza said.

“Perth also surprises, since most people think of it as dry, but southwestern WA gets good winter rainfall.”

Next on the list is Brisbane, with an average of 1,021.6mm each year.

Bris Vegas’ fine, dry winters contrast with its wetter subtropical summers.

Sydney, in something of a shock, is second only to Darwin, with 1,214.6mm each year to Darwin’s 1,727.5mm.

:P 

And the best 911 is whatever you have at your disposal.  Let's not overthink it.

Winner! Or for those of us that don't, what ever Porsche you have :)

Yet ...  today I had my air conditioning on in the car and you were driving in the rain ... :Beer:

the 2 are not mutually exclusive :)

And the best 911 is whatever you have at your disposal.  Let's not overthink it.

If I don't over think which Porsche to buy next, I'll have to think about serious stuff like North Korea and the unstoppable rise of the machines!  So... back to my little fantasy world that I like to call "Let's buy another Porsche!"

Rainfall totals are BS.  It's days of sunshine per year you should measure.

London actually gets very little rainfall as measured in mm but it is drizzling all the fricken time.

So Hobart cloudy drizzle days vs sunshine days is the correct measure.

Where I am it is 300 days a year sunshine.  

So Hobart cloudy drizzle days vs sunshine days is the correct measure.

Where I am it is 300 days a year sunshine.  

Surprisingly little Irish weather here, well in Hobart where I live. It drops on the mountain behind. Many bright clear sunny winter days. 

Too much sunshine just gives you spots :P and brings out the MAMILs and VOMITs!

Canberra, while full of knobs, does have ideal weather.  Four seasons, not too humid. Perfect for riding, driving, hiking and being unemployed in the park after getting your voluntary redundancy...

Archived