Interested in how low these cars will go.

I'm seeing tippers (cab and coupe) starting from $30k.

Manual tarting from $40k.

8 years ago, I knew that the low point for 80s cars was around $30k.   That then moved to $50k.

Are we seeing the same here ?     Could they go even lower ?

Manual https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/OAG-AD-15050507/?Cr=10

Tipper https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-4826498/?Cr=0  (with new "breaks" and a new generator - wtf ?)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely they can't go much lower than they are already. With IMS fixes well covered, that is a heap of car for 40k. Don't know about the tool with the GT3 badge on a tip, that is just sad, but he does have a car with new 'breaks' and 'generator' so what would I know.

If Porsche goes full electric in the next 10 or 15 years these cars would in theory go up in value ,,,,,As Jeff said they are a lot of car for the money providing you find one that has been cared for correctly ,,,and are great drivers cars like all 911,s ,,,the thing is are you prepared to buy at today,s price ,,,and keep the car for 10 or 15 years locked away ,,,If you have the space it could be a good bet .....

Surely they can't go much lower than they are already. With IMS fixes well covered, that is a heap of car for 40k. Don't know about the tool with the GT3 badge on a tip, that is just sad, but he does have a car with new 'breaks' and 'generator' so what would I know.

yeah, but they are "porche company breaks"

:wacko:

Interested in how low these cars will go.

I'm seeing tippers (cab and coupe) starting from $30k.

Manual tarting from $40k.

8 years ago, I knew that the low point for 80s cars was around $30k.   That then moved to $50k.

Are we seeing the same here ?     Could they go even lower ?

Manual https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/OAG-AD-15050507/?Cr=10

Tipper https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-4826498/?Cr=0  (with new "breaks" and a new generator - wtf ?)

The $31k car looks a real shitter!

They did dip into the high $20s and from what I have seen have risen already? The $41k one is nice and for the ones of us that would take a tip these would be my picks https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/OAG-AD-15045621/?Cr=0 or

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/OAG-AD-14962686/?Cr=9 (it's an import but looks nice!!)

You never know if my 928 keeps climbing in $$$.... ???

There are a few manual cabs under $40k, surely this has to be fantastic value when you compare to a Boxster! There are even some tip 996.2 coupes and cabs under $40k.

The thing is, these cars have sat unsold for some time, so this should mean that we haven't seen the bottom yet

Would I be wrong in saying that the reason why these particular cars are cheap is because they HAVEN'T been owned by people who have looked after them & so are generally rough in areas & in need of significant money spent to rectify issues.  The "better" cars in the same year/make/model line up are in the 50's to early 60's (is that right?).  The money you would have to spend (unless you are handy with tools & knowledge) would be more than buying a well cared for example.  I ask genuinely as I would love a 911 & it would seem that the only one i'll ever be able to afford would be a 996 of some ilk. 

Guy in my car club (all makes) has recently sold a very well kept 964 and picked up an early silver 996 in good nick. He said he did it because of the huge price differential ( & because his wife found out !!)

We cross examined him with 'what does it go like compared to the 964 ???? ' and other in-depth questions. We expected him to be enthusiastic, but every second sentence was a kind of apology; 'yeah it is sort of fast' & 'the aircond works really well' type of answers, the enthusiasm has faded and I dont think he will keep it for long.

So I think the natural progression to a newer model has been lost for ex A/C owners who had lots of monetary value tied up in their old cars. If you dont move to a GT3 or a Turbo, you wander away from Porsche to try something else.

I reckon the sales competitor for a nearly 20yo 996, is a good cheap Boxster. Quite a few are turning up in our club (cheap & cheerful!).

Would I be wrong in saying that the reason why these particular cars are cheap is because they HAVEN'T been owned by people who have looked after them & so are generally rough in areas & in need of significant money spent to rectify issues.  The "better" cars in the same year/make/model line up are in the 50's to early 60's (is that right?).  The money you would have to spend (unless you are handy with tools & knowledge) would be more than buying a well cared for example.  I ask genuinely as I would love a 911 & it would seem that the only one i'll ever be able to afford would be a 996 of some ilk. 

I would much rather a sorted and well looked after 924/944/968/928 etc than an abused and neglected auto 996 Carrera with a GT3 badge...

To be honest I think even 31K is too much for that thing. If it looks that neglected in photos, I can't imagine what sort of skeletons it has hiding in the closet.

I think the good 911's will always be pretty pricey...and any that have come down this much in price have done so for a reason.

So I think the natural progression to a newer model has been lost for ex A/C owners who had lots of monetary value tied up in their old cars. If you dont move to a GT3 or a Turbo, you wander away from Porsche to try something else.

If you're looking for a visceral drive, then a water cooled probably won't do it for you without mods. They're a lot more refined particularly the newer you go. You can unrefine them and make them a bit more raw and have a fair bit of coin left over compared to picking up an AC these days. Only issue is that you're very quickly in the territory of loss of license since they're so capable.

I would much rather a sorted and well looked after 924/944/968/928 etc than an abused and neglected auto 996 Carrera with a GT3 badge...

I'm with you, but any neglected car is the same category, not just 996's.

As @Jason E pointed out there's still plenty of 996's C2/C4's which are around the 60k mark which have been well looked after and are selling, obviously a manual coupe demanding the highest dollar. I've heard of a few instances lately where a few have changed hands privately and not even made it onto the public market. Although in the last fortnight pricing has been jumping around slightly, but again it seems to be cars which have sat on the market for a little while or owners who are really keen to sell.

996 C2 manual pricing is currently being tracked in another thread

At the risk of offending the illuminati, for me the driving experience for around 40-45k (for a good C2) makes the price of just about every other 911 at the moment seem a complete nonsense. On the road my lightly modded, cable throttle, non-PSM, mk1 996 C2 is the most thrilling, visceral, raw and engaging car I've driven...and yes I've driven air cooled 911's, plus many and varied sports, classic and hot hatches over 30 years of petrolhedonism.

Granted I haven't driven every air-cooled variant, GT3, 997 or 991, I'm sure they're awesome, but 2, 3, 4, 5 times the price of a decent C2 996 doesn't add up to me. Is it the mechanical issues, but then every 911 has had issues which to a greater or lesser extent affect values in the short to medium term until fixes are found, why is the 996 any different? Is it the volume made, not exclusive enough for the illuminati? Is it the cool, funky headlights? For me the original design, un-skirted, un-winged with a bit of work on the stance/offsets is one of the best looking cars ever designed. I'll get my coat.

At the risk of offending the illuminati, for me the driving experience for around 40-45k (for a good C2) makes the price of just about every other 911 at the moment seem a complete nonsense. On the road my lightly modded, cable throttle, non-PSM, mk1 996 C2 is the most thrilling, visceral, raw and engaging car I've driven...and yes I've driven air cooled 911's, plus many and varied sports, classic and hot hatches over 30 years of petrolhedonism.

Granted I haven't driven every air-cooled variant, GT3, 997 or 991, I'm sure they're awesome, but 2, 3, 4, 5 times the price of a decent C2 996 doesn't add up to me. Is it the mechanical issues, but then every 911 has had issues which to a greater or lesser extent affect values in the short to medium term until fixes are found, why is the 996 any different? Is it the volume made, not exclusive enough for the illuminati? Is it the cool, funky headlights? For me the original design, un-skirted, un-winged with a bit of work on the stance/offsets is one of the best looking cars ever designed. I'll get my coat.

Not from me, i agree 100% and would be (will be?) the 911 i would buy! Keep em low in $$ if you must, makes them more affordable :)

Horses for courses, as usual.  To me the non-C4S or GT3 cars look a bit sad, and the interior ain't to my liking (996 & 986 both).  Sure they're a great drive, and a financially compelling proposition, but I just don't dig 'em, soz.  They might "964" it one day though, stranger things have happened! 

But hey, I have a 928, so I'm a fully qualified red headed step child.

and once they get this low the quality of owners goes down with it. Lapsed servicing etc etc. 

Hey, take it easy :P . There are so many things I could say in response but lets just consider that all AC cars other than the 993 got down to the $40ks and some well below before better quality owners decided they wanted to pay 3 times the price for them.

Very nice butt just get rid of the 4 and the S on the engine lid, extraneous to needs. As are the parking sensors, makes me want to run over someone's toes.

Archived