WTB 964 Targa

Hi Coastr, the way I read the regulations is that from January 1st 2018 you can import a classic car that is 25 years old, so you can bring a car up until 1992, I am unsure of the rules on registering a LHD that is less that is 25 years old. Below is an excerpt from Press Release from the Minister of Infrastructure.

"Today, individuals can import a car or motorcycle under concessional arrangements if it was manufactured before 1 January 1989. Keeping this fixed date would have steadily reduced the scope for importing genuine classic cars into the future. 

The new rule will allow a vehicle which is at least 25 years old to be imported under these arrangements."

Is there anyone in Melbourne that can convert 964 to RHD? Based on the new rules it might be a goer - 

You may want to do some more research before going down the import path.....

"Timeframe

Legislation will be introduced into Parliament later this year. The reforms will commence 12 months after the passage of legislation, with a transition period to enable businesses to adapt to new arrangements."

But you are right on the 25 years rule being adopted, will just need to wait a year or more before it comes in.....

Check the pdf info pages here - https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/mv_standards_act/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall seeing a 964 Targa on an Autohaus Hamilton post on FB.  Had a quick look but couldn't find it.  It was a customer car not for sale but might be worth a call to them - I suspect you'll have to hunt one down not wait for one to pop up on carsales.  That's the only one I can remember seeing in the last few years.  From memory it was a mid blue colour.

I recall a dark green targa for sale at Autohaus approx 18 months ago. Would be worth calling them, they'd know of a few cars for sure

Has anyone done this?   When ever I google it,  the results only show ripping the roof off. Must have been a heap of hoops discarded in the 80's & 90's

I looked at it.

glass

structural hoop welded in 

S/s poseur finish cover

trim rubbers clips etc  

targa top

simpler than converting to RHD 

buy 964 convertible sir 

Think 901er is on the money here. Drop dealers or even mechanics a line. They may know someone who - if the seed is planted - could be willing to sell.

Be willing to pay though. Given the rarity of the model and your keeness, it'll be a seller's market. 

If you go down the road of converting a cab mine will be coming on the market in a couple of months it will be having an engine rebuild by Spencer Harrison so will be completely sorted, just a thought good luck with the search. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update on the importing of cars, I emailed the MVSA Review Taskforce about the rolling 25 years rule and received the following, so it appears that January 2019 will be the earliest we cam import 964's! :

Thank you for your email of 22 September 2017 regarding the reforms to the Motor Vehicles Standards Act 1989.

The Government intends to introduce the Road Vehicle Standards Bill into the Parliament before the end of the year, with a view to it taking effect by 2019.

Further detail on the reforms can be viewed at the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development’s website: www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/mv_standards_act/.

Regards.

MVSA Review Taskforce | MVSAreview@infrastructure.gov.au

Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development

GPO Box 594,

Canberra ACT 2601

www.infrastructure.gov.au

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

so is that correct, that we can import 964s in a couple years?

I'll believe that when I see it! you know how the government is with import rules (even if we don't have a local car manufacturing presence)

There's a white 964 Targa across the road from me, that I haven't seen the guy drive in a long time - might be worth hitting him up if you're getting desperate too

• 2 weeks later...

Grey 964 Targa at Fraz's will go to market with RWC approx 3rd week Jan, if my buyer doesnt come up with coin , just having some bushes fitted ... ... PM me if your in the market for one. 1990 , C2 , 52,000KMS, Original paint , Very tight original car , open to PPI , No leaks.  So rare even Duttons dont have one 

Archived