Looking to purchase a 911 SC - Questions :)

I@Smussato

Depends what that 5 pages contains mate. Personally, if some of the problems aren't urgent or you're not too bothered by them, they're not much of a problem. My main concern for my car was the engine and gearbox, as they're the most expensive to repair (My paint was/is pretty average, but it doesn't bother me) and as the one you're considering seems to have passed their inspection, you're in front. I basically budget a minimum of $500 for any work I need doing by the pro's, yet since I've been looking at YouTube or asking people how to fix things myself to save money, it's definitely saved me a few grand so far. $40k isn't a lot of money for a 911 nowadays, yet if you spent $10-$20k over time, would that add the same amount to its value? I hate talking about values, as that's not what owning a Porsche is all about in my opinion. Sure, it has to be considered, but if you bought the car for $40k, put $20k into over time and you could only sell it for $45-$55k, would that bother you? I call it a fun tax if I have to spend any cash on mine, a necessary evil is another analogy, yet you will definitely have to spend something on it eventually.

All you have to do is ask yourself with the prospect of a reasonably ugly situation, 'Can I afford to fix it?' If that's a no, walk away. If you MUST HAVE IT, buy it, and sort it out later

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like talking about the value either. I'm happy with the body kit, the average paint, the dodgy modifications made to the interior. I will enjoy tweaking those to my liking far more than what the money would do elsewhere. I'm just conscious of stamp duty, new tyres, wheels and shocks straight off the bat in addition to the car.

A few other small things as well but this will take me all day to write out.. those are the main ones.. 

I can afford to fix all these issues little by little over time as planned. But the mechanic and the rest of you specifically mentioned it was worth closer to 30 :P 

Again, thanks for all of your input. I'm just trying to make sure I make the right decision and appreciate your experience/knowledge/time. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Sounds not too bad Smussato, don't underestimate the joy from working on all the little things and bringing it up to speed and personalising it to suit yourself - can be half the fun of ownership :)

.....and annoys the hell out of the Mrs ?

I treat it as a hobby.  Tinkering, problem solving, learning.........and driving every now and then is a bonus.

So buy it !!

45 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

I treat it as a hobby.  Tinkering, problem solving, learning.........and driving every now and then is a bonus.

Me too.  It's a good departure from my daily life and what I do for a job. Sort of.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Smussato said:

Just wanted to let everyone know....  I'm now a Porsche owner! Pics to come! 

Thank you for all your help along the way!!!! 

:Beer:

Is it the 81 Targa you originally posted about? Last I remember he was stuck about 10k over what you thought you'd pay -- wore him down?

On 1/24/2018 at 12:11 PM, OZ930 said:

So buy it !!

So true. Still waiting for my bonus :( 

Congrats on the car. From the looks of it, I would be very happy with that for $40k.

Thanks guys :)!! Haha so that’s where it’s from. Just thought this one had a massive chin. I’ve seen a yellow targa just like it on carsales, must have been a popular thing at the time?

My first project will be ripping whatever short shifter kit this thing has and putting in a long throw. Anyone have a spare one they'd like to sell :) ? I love the sound of this car... and all the waves you get haha! It just makes people smile!

Take pics & post what you have at the gearstick and coupler. You may have some good bits worth keeping, so you will get good advice..

An original setup is very good, but I reckon you can make small changes in bushings/adjustments & such which correspond with your driving style.

On 18/02/2018 at 6:28 PM, Zelrik911 said:

Take pics & post what you have at the gearstick and coupler. You may have some good bits worth keeping, so you will get good advice..

An original setup is very good, but I reckon you can make small changes in bushings/adjustments & such which correspond with your driving style.

I'll post some photos tomorrow of it's set up. Finally have a day off to do it :) 

Here is another photo for anyone who's interested :) Gave it the biggest clean of it's life today.

lo6F0LSl.jpg

Archived