R34 or R8

Hi All,

bit of a family dilemma, my son has an immaculate, low km R34 GTR and has the bug for an Audi R8 (4.2 manual).  I am trying to talk him out of it because I believe the R34 is on an up going wave whereas the R8 is on the way down.  Also the R34 is a limited production for an initially limited market but has become desirable worldwide and with the USA relaxing it's import laws, they will soon soak these cars up, the R32 being a prime example, whereas the R8 was made for the world market.

I don't know anything about the running costs of the Audi or the pitfalls of ownership, so if anyone has any information, experience or comments please.

I can think of an option starting with P, actually there are many :)

I assume you have tried to lean him towards our fabulous marque?

Does the Audi V8 timing chain issue also affect the R8, something to look into

They did make it a little complex.... and it sits at the rear of the engine...

step0301DiagnosticPart3DSC0854.JPG

59 minutes ago, ANF said:

step0301DiagnosticPart3DSC0854.JPG

I hear it costs $10k for a 100,000 km service on a Q7 and VW Toerag, perhaps this is why?????

I'd love a 4.2 V8 Manual R8, I think these are a future classic for sure. Gated manual, high revving NA V8.

They have held value very well, been watching that market for a long time.

To me the R34 is the nicest looking Skyline but not the most sought after model, it's been explained to me why that is but i would still have the Skyline i think. The Audi V10 sounds better to my ears as well.

Just now, TINGY944 said:

To me the R34 is the nicest looking Skyline but not the most sought after model, it's been explained to me why that is but i would still have the Skyline i think. The Audi V10 sounds better to my ears as well.

I think the R34 is actually the most sought after model. The R33 is the least. Financially I think the R34 will probably go up more in the short term as I think they are only a couple of years away from being legal in the US. When that happens you could sell to an overseas buyer. 

That said, if it is time for a change, the R8 would be a nice, reasonably reliable option. I don't think they are going to come down in value much any time soon.

2 minutes ago, MFX said:

I think the R34 is actually the most sought after model. The R33 is the least. Financially I think the R34 will probably go up more in the short term as I think they are only a couple of years away from being legal in the US. When that happens you could sell to an overseas buyer. 

That said, if it is time for a change, the R8 would be a nice, reasonably reliable option. I don't think they are going to come down in value much any time soon.

Most people i have come across all love the 32 series, actually most Skyline afficiando's will probably agree,  i think it looks a bit sad personally but hey everyone is different.

3 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Hi All,

bit of a family dilemma, my son has an immaculate, low km R34 GTR and has the bug for an Audi R8 (4.2 manual).  I am trying to talk him out of it because I believe the R34 is on an up going wave whereas the R8 is on the way down.  Also the R34 is a limited production for an initially limited market but has become desirable worldwide and with the USA relaxing it's import laws, they will soon soak these cars up, the R32 being a prime example, whereas the R8 was made for the world market.

I don't know anything about the running costs of the Audi or the pitfalls of ownership, so if anyone has any information, experience or comments please.

I have a R32 GTR and a R34 GTR. Sold a R33 GTR recently but that was due to a knocking that no one could figure out why. I'll be looking to purchase another R33 GTR when the right one comes up. I think they look great in blue, black, purple and grey only. They are the most unloved GTR but you'll see a swing in time. ie 964.

I think the R33 GTR also has the lowest build numbers.

The R8 has the similar V8 to the B7 RS4 that I also recently sold. It was a very capable car but was very unexciting. I think the R8 would be the same. I have been tempted to pull the trigger on a R8 also as they have aged very well. The motor was strong with no issues but the aircon did give up and it was a whole system fix. $6- $7k fix.

In your situation, I would purchase the R34 GTR from your son and let him buy whatever he wants. He might lose a few quid when he sells but he's scratched that itch. At the end of the day car guys buy whatever they like.

38 minutes ago, MFX said:

This is a very good point. The market will certainly go way up when the US can legally import them, maybe wait a few years

49 minutes ago, TINGY944 said:

Most people i have come across all love the 32 series, actually most Skyline afficiando's will probably agree,  i think it looks a bit sad personally but hey everyone is different.

I must admit, I have been out of the Skyline scene for a while now, and even back then when the R34's were new I still thought the R32 would be the future classic. The yanks are still drooling over R34's though, as they grew up with The Fast and the Furious like the rest of us but the R34's were the forbidden fruit.

I have considered getting an R32 for a while now, but I just don't know where it fits in my driving profile. If I am going for an SMT then I would steer towards my old 911 (when it is actually going). If I am going to the track I prefer something small and nimble. For a daily, then newer cars are far more comfortable and capable day to day. I have always loved GTR's but I think if I had to choose between just those 2 cars I think I would choose the R8 every time.

3 hours ago, ANF said:

Yes, I did try but as MFX said "he grew up playing Need for Speed". He did consider a 996 once for a daily driver after his Prelude died.

wow! that's some fancy chains.

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I hear it costs $10k for a 100,000 km service on a Q7 and VW Toerag, perhaps this is why?????

$10k , I think that's normal for a VW these days

1 hour ago, TINGY944 said:

I now like the look of his R34, but it took awhile.  

I do like the R32 probably because it is "the Godzilla" and looks more compact, even though it isn't, but lacks presence. V10 might sound good but no way is he getting one.

1 hour ago, reggiegums said:

I have a R32 GTR and a R34 GTR. Sold a R33 GTR recently but that was due to a knocking that no one could figure out why. I'll be looking to purchase another R33 GTR when the right one comes up. I think they look great in blue, black, purple and grey only. They are the most unloved GTR but you'll see a swing in time. ie 964.

The R8 has the similar V8 to the B7 RS4 that I also recently sold. It was a very capable car but was very unexciting. I think the R8 would be the same. I have been tempted to pull the trigger on a R8 also as they have aged very well. The motor was strong with no issues but the aircon did give up and it was a whole system fix. $6- $7k fix.

In your situation, I would purchase the R34 GTR from your son and let him buy whatever he wants. He might lose a few quid when he sells but he's scratched that itch. At the end of the day car guys buy whatever they like.

My son had an R33 GT4, a very rare beast. 4WD with an RB25, but he didn't listen and traded it on the R34. In the the end it was a good decision, considering how the values have gone on the R34.  

He has a pair of R33 GTR front guards with the required spacers if you are interested. Like hens teeth I think.

I would buy the R34, but a lack of cash forbids it, which brings up another sore point, which I won't go in to.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I must admit, I have been out of the Skyline scene for a while now, and even back then when the R34's were new I still thought the R32 would be the future classic. The yanks are still drooling over R34's though, as they grew up with The Fast and the Furious like the rest of us but the R34's were the forbidden fruit.

I have considered getting an R32 for a while now, but I just don't know where it fits in my driving profile. If I am going for an SMT then I would steer towards my old 911 (when it is actually going). If I am going to the track I prefer something small and nimble. For a daily, then newer cars are far more comfortable and capable day to day. I have always loved GTR's but I think if I had to choose between just those 2 cars I think I would choose the R8 every time.

Exactly what I have been telling him. Wait, but impatience of youth.

If I were to sell the 930, I would probably go R32 or a Cayman hot rod.

It ain't happening ...........

Thanks everyone.

3 hours ago, reggiegums said:

R34 has the lowest build numbers, R33 next and then R32.

I'd keep the GTR if you were only thinking about long term value but personally I'd find an R8 a way more exciting car to own and I don't think the manual cars can go a long way from where they are at in terms of value

What timing! I was about to start a thread on the R8 - I was wondering whether anyone on here had any real world experiences. 

Great looking cars and early V8s can be had for $100k. The reviews I've read so far (links below) say avoid the magnetic suspension option. Engines are generally reliable, but some have suffered premature bearing issues. Also the early auto box was slow and clunky (the post June 2012 DSGs are far better but closer to $180k). Servicing is on par with most Audis (or is that Audii?), but things can get expensive e.g. $6k for a clutch!

Insurance is $2200 through Famous (39 year old male with impeccable record :) ). Factor in stamp duty of >$4k in NSW.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/audi-r8-2007-2014-used-buying-guide

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=guide&make=Audi&model=R8&gen=57

https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-buying-guides/audi-r8-ph-buying-guide/30900

17 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

To me the R34 is the nicest looking Skyline 

32 in my books

17 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

32 has the group A rep. i much prefer them but hard to find unmolested now. love mine.

R34 is for the playstation kids. had the most exposure amongst that generation. heavier with a bit more tech.

both are good and the r34 is already top dollar.

if it was me i'd cash in on the r34 soon ish, get an audi r8... and an R33 if he misses the GTR life (Get Thousands Ready)

Meh I see the r8 being the nsx of the future - sought after to a certain extent, but not a future classic that will get people excited.  It has the air of an expensive TT and that is not a good thing.   

the r34 is rolled gold future classic with Nissan invested in the gtr concept, and grab any random young guy with a ps2 and fast/furious upbringing- it’s the itch they are going to scratch in 10 years time.  Also going to be rare due to attrition and mods, but already a dedicated support base and people knowledgeable.  Plus people will be making knockoff versions and the GTR was a game changer in many ways.

All the things that make 911s desirable in a Nissan.  Bank on it and ignore the Audi.  If he needs a change of pace get a TT and stick a bigger turbo on.

Took a ride in a modified R32 GTR once, when it came on boost I had to pray it wouldn't be attracted to a pole... That's not my cup of tea

Not that my story will count for much haha YRMV but I do like R8s

Thanks everyone, the son had the offer of a straight swap but has decided to hang on to the 34 a little longer.

I don't know the details of the R8.

It's still an interesting debate though.

From a purely commercial perspective, it'd make sense to hold on to the R34GTR.  If he really wants to get an R8, sell the R34GTR in a few years time after the market for them goes even higher.  Then he could get an R8 plus a nice daily, or one of a choice of many cars.  Aston Martin anyone? 

Just my humble 2.2c.

I have a highly modified R32GTR that I've owned for over 10 years and am holding onto it for dear life until the significant other gives the ultimatum!

On 5/11/2018 at 3:11 PM, chalon said:

I have a highly modified R32GTR that I've owned for over 10 years and am holding onto it for dear life until the significant other gives the ultimatum!

Then you can have a matching pair when you're single??

My 2 cents on the topic.  Its gotta be a V10 when an R8 is concerned

Ya gunna hate me, but I just googled an R34GTR. Looks just like any other JDM car with a bodykit  ? Yawn

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

Ya gunna hate me, but I just googled an R34GTR. Looks just like any other JDM car with a bodykit  ? Yawn

No hate.  That's what it looks like, it's what is underneath that makes the beast.

Same can be said for lot of race based performance cars.

I have sold 3 GTR's one to the UK and another to the US-- America definately offers opportuniy if your looking to make a buck.  I just parted with the last  R32 Vpec 2 in AUS a few months back.

Good GTR's like many JDM cars are getting thinner and thinner on the ground and do not have the build quality so , early 90s cars getting worse and worse in terms of condition.

R34 are likely to become more and more collectable , but I think the Audi is a super nice driving car and a far different proposition.. For me personally I would keep and Audi but thats beyond the dollars

22 minutes ago, symsy said:

I just parted with the last  R32 Vpec 2 in AUS a few months back.

Good GTR's like many JDM cars  do not have the build quality 

R34 are likely to become more and more collectable. For me personally I would keep and Audi but thats beyond the dollars

So no VSpec 2s left in Aus? We are getting plundered....again.

Build quality does leave a bit to be desired...no undercoat, thin paint. no anti corrosion.  Only built for the legal life in Japan.  Good for a car coming from a country where they salt the roads.  Son's car is garaged 90% of the time and pampered.

Yes,  it's beyond the dollars.

Archived