Tech/phone geeks

LeeM

I have an older Samsung S7, and have always had to enable Mobile Data to send and receive picture messages (mms) until a week or so ago. Now all of a sudden I don't have to and haven't done a software update yet the missus has a later Samsung phone buy still has to enable Mobile Data. I've looked online but can't see anything, yet cam anyone shed some light on why all of a sudden this has happened? 

12 minutes ago, Stew F said:

I had a similar thing with my LG G4 until recently. Spooky. ?

I never do a software update, as 9/10 times it slows my phone down (spose 10billion photos doesn't help there) or I just don't trust downloading them. 

I thought it was just weird that all of a sudden I don't need to enable Mobile Data 

Why isn’t your mobile data on all the time?

Anywya, are you sending the pictures while in wifi coverage?   Phones can use wifi to send messages, though I know nothing about Samsung phones and the evil empires ‘free’ OS

6 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Anywya, are you sending the pictures while in wifi coverage?   Phones can use wifi to send messages, though I know nothing about Samsung phones and the evil empires ‘free’ OS

I was always told to turn off data unless there is no  Wi-Fi available, as it does chew through the monthly 9gb allowance if I leave it on

I've now sent and received pics via mms without data enabled or in Wi-Fi range for some reason. I think it may have upgraded itself coupla weeks ago, as a new icon is visible at the top of the screen which is apparently for making calls via WiFi, yet I turned that off and can still send pics messages without data enabled. 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

I was always told to turn off data unless there is no  Wi-Fi available, as it does chew through the monthly 9gb allowance if I leave it on

I've now sent and received pics via mms without data enabled or in Wi-Fi range for some reason. I think it may have upgraded itself coupla weeks ago, as a new icon is visible at the top of the screen which is apparently for making calls via WiFi, yet I turned that off and can still send pics messages without data enabled. 

You have 9gb per month and are worried about using too much!! We have 5gb between my wife and I, and never get near the limit!

What are you sending?? Leave it on for one month and see how you go.

7 hours ago, Stew F said:

I had a similar thing with my LG G4 until recently. Spooky. ?

LG G4.!  Noooo..  Quick, back up everything before the main board fails.. POS of a thing.  

I had a similiar issue (with LG G4 until it DIED) in that it seemed to compress the image before it would send via the G's.  Wifi was fine.  I thought it was a carrier problem, but when I got my Pixel on the same carrier all was fine.

1 hour ago, ANF said:

You have 9gb per month and are worried about using too much!! We have 5gb between my wife and I, and never get near the limit!

Not worries about it, though at their peak rate it gets used up pretty quickly and I get charged more for extra gig. 

I'm using data now as I'm onsite though switch it off when I leave

5 hours ago, ANF said:

This. I use my phone data allll the time, tether it as a local data hotspot for my laptop where emails are huge and I access the work server for large files. I download music watch videos etc. Never come close to 9gb a month. I would suggest monitoring your usage using the phones data counter, this website is great to give you a few ways on how to track it... Id make sure you use every bit  of data you have - not much in this world is free :D

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203744/

1. From a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen.
    Note These instructions only apply to Standard mode and the default Home screen layout.
  2. Navigate: Settings Settings icon > Connections > Data usage.
  3. From the Mobile section, tap Billing cycle and data warning.
  4. Tap the Limit mobile data usage switch to turn on Switch on.
    Note If prompted, review the message then tap OK.
  5. Tap Data limit.
  6. Enter the desired level (e.g., 2.0GB) then tap SET.

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

How do you use up 9G a month Lee? I have 3 days left for my month and have 6.7G left. I always have my phone with me, always, always taking pics, Insta, youtube etc, also no WIFI where i work.

34 minutes ago, TINGY944 said:

How do you use up 9G a month Lee? I have 3 days left for my month and have 6.7G left. I always have my phone with me, always, always taking pics, Insta, youtube etc, also no WIFI where i work.

Like me, I would say @LeeM wouldn`t have a bloody clue how much what uses, or how to figure it out, so defers to safety and switches it off

7 hours ago, Coastr said:

Lee specifically mentioned MMS which will always use the cellular network, not Wifi even if available. The MMS infrastructure is a walled-garden service only accessible via the carriers cellular infrastructure otherwise they'd have to open it up to the general internet which is a can of worms obviously...

4 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

I don't use 9G a month and doubt I've reached 5Gig. I'd have to download a shitload of vidoes for that to happen. I get a warning after I've used 2G, yet that's only happened twice. 

I've always been told to turn data off if I'm not using the internet

3 hours ago, pocketscience said:

Lee specifically mentioned MMS which will always use the cellular network, not Wifi even if available. The MMS infrastructure is a walled-garden service only accessible via the carriers cellular infrastructure otherwise they'd have to open it up to the general internet which is a can of worms obviously...

Correct. My original question is why can I now send and receive mms without data being enabled and not even near any Wi-Fi. Happened onsite today where I received pics and emails without mobile data active. Weird 

4 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

Like me, I would say @LeeM wouldn`t have a bloody clue how much what uses, or how to figure it out, so defers to safety and switches it off

Nailed it ??I have no friggin idea 

10 hours ago, WOKA said:

LG G4.!  Noooo..  Quick, back up everything before the main board fails.. POS of a thing.  

I had a similiar issue (with LG G4 until it DIED) in that it seemed to compress the image before it would send via the G's.  Wifi was fine.  I thought it was a carrier problem, but when I got my Pixel on the same carrier all was fine.

I had that happen when the phone was a bit over a year old. LG replaced it with the updated version with the later MB and firmware. Been excellent ever since.

32 minutes ago, YellowDieselGolf said:

Maybe there was a carrier settings update?

Also:  I barely use 2GB a month.  Something weird is going on with your usage Lee.  My provider has an app which shows where my data has been used.  Maybe check with your provider and see if they offer something similar?

That's what a noob lime me was thinking re the carrier update. I'm with Vodafone, and as much as they get a bad rap, I've never had any dramas for years

I'll have a look online for the data usage thing. Cheers for that ?

I've just got off the phone to Vodafone, and even they can't explain why I can send mms without enabling Mobile Data. The tech support bloke (whom I'll call Trevor, as his name was Pragbarashnish or something) And he said he'd never heard of it happening before. I explained that even within Wi-Fi range 3 weeks ago, I would get a notifciation that I had to enable data, yet now I don't and can send mms anywhere, anytime with or without data or in Wi-Fi range. There has not been, nor will there be any carrier updates until 5g comes on

So there ya have it, Even Trevor is stumped! 

Oh, and for those posting about my gig usage, I checked my data usage thingy online, and I have used 2.5gb in 3 weeks out of an available 11.5gb which is my monthly allowance that reboots in 9 days time

Thanks all for your comments. Me and Vodafone Trevor are still stumped! ?

10 minutes ago, wirthO said:

@LeeM you were probably recommended to turn data off when data was extremely expensive. Its a lot cheaper now and 9gb for a phone for every day use is generally ample.

Fair point. I just use Wi-Fi at home and switch on the data when I'm out. No biggy ?

There’s no increased safety in terms of ‘hack proof’ by turning off data.  You’d only do it to avoid high charges, like when you fly international.   If you aren’t hitting monthly quotas then no real advantage to having it off.

Archived