996 backdate

LeeM

It worked well with the impact bumper and 964 cars due to the cars being very close in shape and size to the pre impact bumpers cars an sharing the same basic  body  ,,,,I just don,t think it suits the water cooled era 996 and 997 cars ,,,,,respect the work and creativity that goes into it and it really dosnt look that bad its just a case of I don,t think it needs to be done ..............Like you said Lee I am sorta on the fence to ...???

I must be getting old, ‘cos my tastes are changing.......in my younger days;-

-  I used to like these forward dated creations (because I hated the old fashioned look of chrome bumper 911’s) yet now I feel that they look terribly tacky & destroy the pretty shape of the early 911’s.

- I used to hate the front lights of the 996, but now I think they’ve actually aged pretty well, and give a sufficient change to the front end treatment for those years without totally trashing the 911 style.

- I couldn’t see any point in owning a 911 without it having a ‘Whale-tail’ out back.... but now I can appreciate the ‘naked’ 911 silhouette.

- I was never a fan of the Boxster, but lately I’ve even got a few in my Carsales ‘saved favorites ‘!

Then again I always thought the Panamera was goddam ugly..... and I still do. Perhaps this view will change in another 10 years?!?

996’s are an acquired taste. They are appreciating as people discover the great qualities of these cars but I can’t say the above example has benefited from its “face lift”. 

4 hours ago, ByronBayChris said:

I read that it is 32,000 eur (close to $52,000 AUD) for the conversion.    Plus the donor car which would be close to $52,000anyway.   So $104k for a 996 backdate.   Don't see a queue forming

Yeah I cant see the value there either, yet that seems to be the norm when anyone tries to promote 'bespoke' Porsches. The Gunther works 993 is well overpriced ($400k and up I think, but not even close to Singer quality) yet they sell because people want to be different. For those who have the disposable readies to buy something different, they'll probably sell a couple or three. 

As for the proportions etc, I think it's a hard one to call when there hasn't been any good pics or video of it yet. I get the idea behind it, same as any backdated car to a point, yet in all honesty I'd rather buy this than that horrid gold thing that Porsche built and sold for a stupid amount of money. Each to their own I s'pose

The big thing letting this car down is the windows.   A proper backdate needs chrome window trim, mirrors and handles and the Modern flush fit frames will always look off.  The chrome grills on the front of this will always clash with the glasshouse.   It wpuld be better to go with a modern interpretation of the horn grills rather than trying to use original parts.

i would have thought some type of 997 style kit would be a better investment in time.  You coudo make a car that looked like an alternative design study for the late 90s without copying a 997 completely.   The rear end of the 996 doesn't need anything.  The 996 need the lights and hips of a 911 to look more like a 911.  But I like them as is, particularly in c4s form.  

• 1 month later...

I’m not sure I would spend 50 k on a mod unless I was building a track car... but any mod to get rid of those ugly as hell front lights is a  good one for me...

i owned a 996, loved it.. still think they are a fantastic car but never liked the front lights 

to make a modern water cooled car look like a 1969 beast.... each to their own I guess 

Archived