Low Light Karmann Ghia

9er

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow that is amazing work Chris - well done and highly impressed. The seat covers look very good - are they from Lenny. Very cool  - it's Chris here/ the other Chris, with a lowlight in Adelaide. That makes three lowlight coupes in the state - with the third on a rotisserie restoration.

Yes you certainly did and I think at that stage - your Ghia was in transit.  Bloody nice work mate truly. .  

Love the bamboo and it's certainly nice to have another Californian here - smirk. Beautiful 912 BTW and love the Cooper. My friend sold his in 1980 (cooper) for $500 - argh.

• 8 months later...

This is my vintage speed style Okrasa motor for the Karmann Ghia.

It is based on the 1959 engine case which I had line bored and the spigots opened up for 80mm cylinders, reproduction twin port Okrasa heads, 69.5mm stroker crank with an upgraded camshaft. Also fitted some ratio rockers and a higher volume oil pump.

There was a fair bit of faffing around with clearances and deck heights to get the compression ratio where I wanted it (8.5 ish) but in the end it seemed to work out OK.

The pictures are hopefully more interesting than my spiel.

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

Drilling out the oil gallery plugs so that they could be thoroughly cleaned, and then tapped to accept new threaded plugs.

IMG_2873.jpg

Not exactly a pristine engine building space, but then it is only an aircooled VW.

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2878.thumb.jpg.acb0d65521e0e5dddbb27c831a251637.jpg

IMG_2972.thumb.jpg.2640cc23b572b4cdfbdbe91fd3313df0.jpg

IMG_2975.thumb.jpg.9a2623f0a741fa71626ab3420e1f7813.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

I have tried to attach an engine start up video here, hope it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi matey

Wow that looks like a fantastic power plant - well done.

Did you use the aa piston and barrel set.

That is exactly like the engine build I would love to do to my 58 Karmann Ghia. Although it's the original engine and it has now done 139,000 original miles and still runs very strong so I am loath to touch it.

I can't wait to hear how it drives.

Oh and we are having Volksfest on 28 November so come along if you can. Show up my car - lol. Can't wait to see your car as there aren't many here.

Take care and again - truly superb.

Volksfest2021_Poster_360.jpg

It does look amazing.

I have spoken to people who did the Okrasa conversion with just 1300 on their lowlights and they love it so I think you will have the perfect combination of horsepower and some stopping ability as well given the idiots on the road.

Also Mr Okrasa seemed quite happy with the AA sets.

• 6 months later...

Looks beautiful. Well done - I was very impressed when I saw your KG at Volksfest and thank you for bringing it along. I can't wait to hear how it performs.  Would be great to see it on our Karmann Ghia cruise later this year which is a rare event. Take care

• 2 weeks later...

That is just awesome - well done. Are you sure you wouldn't rather swap it for an original 1958 Karmann Ghia engine. Anyway all humour aside I guess the question is now - is it faster than the 912. Take care matey. I just did 140,000 original miles in mine and it's still running like a trouper and sitting on 73 plus mph.

Oh what carbs are they may I ask. Thank you.

• 3 months later...
Hi matey

I hope all is well and that your enjoying your beautiful Karmann Ghia with that magnificent engine. I can't wait to hear how it is going. Well done again.

Anyway, as discussed once every two years I organise a special Karmann Ghia Cruise and I would be delighted to officially invite you as a guest on this year’s cruise.

It is being held on the 23 October and will be a simple run to a winery - probably in the McLaren Vale with a BBQ lunch with terrific and friendly people.

I am trying to get as many Karmann Ghias on the run as possible and let’s face it, there aren’t that many around. Seeing them all go down in the road in convoy is a spectacular site to behold.

Anyway I hope your's is going well. 

I will send the details out later when I arrange for the flier to be done shortly.

Take care and have a great day.

KGCRUISE.jpg

Oh and 356s or 911s are welcome too - lol. 

• 1 month later...

HI

Here is the attached flyer for the KG run. Would be great to see you there if you can make it. If you can't meet us for the run - we will be at Kay's Winery in the McLaren Vale from about 12.30 pm and a free lunch too. Would be great to have another lowlight there and I can't wait to hear that magnificent engine of yours. All porsche people are welcome to attend as well.

And hey if it's not running right - bring the cooper or the 912 - aint nothing wrong with that 🙂

You take care and enjoy your long weekend matey.

Cheers with thanks

Chris

KG Cruise Flyer 22.jpeg