show me an old transaxle race car

brian in buddina

A transaxle race car article going back to 2013 from Speed Hunters. I'm sure this may have been covered in PFA back in the day, but that was before my time.

Any other go fast transaxles out  there? Post a picture or link to a write up.

Bonus points if its road registered.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b08f40bcb5d995e3ffa7a6dd3dbcfa40.jpg

image above from the Speed Hunter article

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/12/german-speed-metal-a-time-attacking-porsche-944-turbo/

1 hour ago, brian in buddina said:

Do you still have your gold 86 transaxle Michel? The one I almost bought?

I have two 86 turbo one currently for sale And the other which I’ve had awhile now and waiting for new dash , I’ll consider whether my love affair continues  or Sell and put money into my 924 turbo and N/A CGT replica which needs better running gear and Motown vibes in the engine bay 

edit: I have literally just decided to have the dash redone on the Kalahari beige also ... paging @prostitch

8 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

Must need little Japanese hands to work on it. Gotta be a tight fit with that motor in there. @James P can you tell us a bit more about it?

I bought it as is & only did a few things to make it a little better/reliable, new ECU & engine wiring loom, new race fuel tank, new roll cage & seat etc... apparently it was built in QLD  & as far as i know its a stock first gen 1uz Lexus engine with all 924 turbo running gear, Volvo 4 piston calipers on the front & Wilwood pedal box. Not a show car but well built

My little baby, which you have already seen in the flesh @brian in buddina, but I might as well share to get some more content in this thread.

Still street registered and regularly driven on the road as it is my only car, and it does everything my motorbike daily can't do.

I take it to local sprint days for fun. It's quite capable out on track, I am in the 58's on the Queensland Raceway Clubman Circuit, which is only around 2 seconds slower than what a well driven 997 cup car will do.

Basic rundown:

- Factory 2.5 8v Turbo, rebuilt by me back in 2016 with some go fast bits added, makes 375hp at the wheels.

- Bilstein coilovers

- 993 big reds on the front on cayenne 330mm discs, stock rear brakes

- Turbo S gearbox with factory LSD

- 17x9.5 wheels all round running 240/610r17 slicks

- Still has full factory interior and all original body panels and glass, so its pretty heavy at around 1300kg.

5QS20237s.jpg

0X3A5642.jpg

0X3A6418s.jpg

2 hours ago, James P said:

I bought it as is & only did a few things to make it a little better/reliable, new ECU & engine wiring loom, new race fuel tank, new roll cage & seat etc... apparently it was built in QLD  & as far as i know its a stock first gen 1uz Lexus engine with all 924 turbo running gear, Volvo 4 piston calipers on the front & Wilwood pedal box. Not a show car but well built

Where did you get the cage, or is it custom made?

thanks @Timm

Your" little baby"...

- Factory 2.5 8v Turbo, rebuilt by me back in 2016

what was the condition of the motor? how many KM at rebuild? How were the bores, no scoring?  Did you re use the original valves? Any issues to mention? Any changes from factory? 

some go fast bits added,

What bits? where you happy with your added bits,? In hindsight would you do anything different?

makes 375hp at the wheels.

Is the 375 in one go or did you work up to it?

what is the next step, motor wise?

- Bilstein coilovers

spring rate? any other suspension tunes/adjustments, ride height? original sway bars?

couple years ago you had Wilwood calipers on, why did you change?

- Turbo S gearbox with factory LSD, 

where did you get this from? has it needed a rebuild?

changed to square!

-BONUS POINTS!              Still has full factory interior and all original body panels and glass

, so its pretty heavy at around 1300kg

any plans to add lightness? like an alloy torque tube, is it Paul??? in Melbourne?

thanks Timm, gotta get you out for the next drive.

34 minutes ago, brian in buddina said:

thanks @Timm

Your" little baby"...

- Factory 2.5 8v Turbo, rebuilt by me back in 2016

what was the condition of the motor? how many KM at rebuild? How were the bores, no scoring?  Did you re use the original valves? Any issues to mention? Any changes from factory? 

It was in pretty good nick, apart from having blown it's headgasket. Rebuild thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/924976-timm-s-952-build-thread.html

Not many changes from factory. Molnar forged rods, ARP head studs, cometic MLS head gasket, crank scraper, gated sump baffle and pickup extension.

some go fast bits added,

What bits? where you happy with your added bits,? In hindsight would you do anything different?

Big hybrid turbo based on an old Vitesse Stg 2, 1330cc injectors, VEMS ecu, Bosch 044 fuel pump, PWR intercooler, RX7 oil cooler, TTV flywheel, KEP1 clutch PP, Sachs sport disc

I am happy with the power for the budget I have, but I have had recurring issues with wearing out the MLS headgasket due to suspected headlift. I have a new plan of attack for next year to hopefully solve that once and for all.

makes 375hp at the wheels.

Is the 375 in one go or did you work up to it?

It made 240 at the wheels with the stock turbo at 16psi after the rebuild. The 375 was all in one go after I upgraded the turbo, ECU, intercooler and fuel system and upped the boost to 19psi.

what is the next step, motor wise?

As mentioned above, I am changing to a different headgasket and probably getting a retune to get more life out of the headgasket. Apart from that I will leave it as is.

- Bilstein coilovers

spring rate? any other suspension tunes/adjustments, ride height? original sway bars?

IIRC spring rate is around 300lbs on the front, and unknown on the rear. They were installed by PO. Plan is to go for around 450 or 500lb front, and around 700 on the rear with torsion bar delete to save a bit of weight. I'm running 26.8mm front sway bar, and 18mm rear. Might splurge on the big 30/19mm combo if any ever pop up for sale in Australia. The rest of the suspension is all factory. Over time I will replace all bushes and get a geometry correction kit for the front.

couple years ago you had Wilwood calipers on, why did you change?

You might be confusing me for someone else. I went straight from the stock front brakes to the big reds.

- Turbo S gearbox with factory LSD, 

where did you get this from? has it needed a rebuild?

From Rod who owns the rp968. IIRC it had a rebuild, or at least a check over from Buchanans before I bought it. Long term plan is to one day add the S2 ring and pinion for a better final drive, along with an aftermarket motorsport LSD.

changed to square!

-BONUS POINTS!              Still has full factory interior and all original body panels and glass

, so its pretty heavy at around 1300kg

any plans to add lightness? like an alloy torque tube, is it Paul??? in Melbourne?

Yes definitely. Lightweight bucket seats are high on the priority list, which will save some weight. Also planning on converting to manual sunroof, and deleting the radio and speakers. Might build a carbon fibre bonnet one day when I have the time. Alloy torque tube is also an option if @Pauly has long term success with his.

thanks Timm, gotta get you out for the next drive.

Keen for another FEPS...it has been a while. Unfortunately the last ones have been on Saturday mornings when I work :(

4 hours ago, James P said:

The gods of gumtree smiled on you