Thinking about Cayennes

Coastr

I’m in the market for a family hauler.  Will be doing shops and highways, long trips and short.  Last car was an E70 X5 and was thinking going smaller but next size down just not fitting 3 offspring across the back seat.  So I’m thinking about the Cayenne as opposed to a Toyota/Hyundai/Nissan whatever.  
I’m shopping used and target is lowest mileage car I can get around the $30k budget.  Does that count Cayennes out?  I know they are a depreciation magnet so was thinking there might be a decent model falling into the price bracket.  Don’t want turbos or big power I will only drive it on long trips, other half will drive 90% of kms.  I would go back into an X5 but the continual things going wrong was driving me crazy.  Are Cayennes similarly needy (oil leaks, air suspension failures, cooling system cracks etc etc). If anyone has shopped in this end of the market I’d love to hear your honest opinion and experience.

I drove a couple of earlier Cayennes (2006 and 2008ish) as a daily for the missus, and didn't really like either that much, as they felt too cramped for me, and we both thought they felt harsh on the road.

It was a shame, as I really wanted one being a Porsche, yet preferred our then 2004 Territory to be honest. Ended up with a low km 2015 Toyota Kluger for under $30k including a long warranty with free servicing.

Pretty sure the earlier Cayenne's had a tendency to have a radiator hose problem (alloy tube that used to crack?)  which is easily changed to a later model part. Other than that, I'd been told by a couple of Porsche shops they were pretty bullet proof.

We've put about 170000kms on our 2010 cayenne.  Had a suspected inlet manifold valve failure (turned out to be a mechanic who had left debris in there, blocking the operation of said valve so not car's fault), one cleaning required of egr/dpf chamber/filter (at approx 110000km) and one cardan shaft failure (at approx 160 000km).  Other than that, routine servicing.  Closing in on 200000kms and no squeaks or rattles yet.  No oil leaks, coolant leaks or other niggles.  3 litre turbo dirty diesel vw toureg twin.  It's getting on in years and kms but it still feels solid so not sure if time to upgrade or just keep driving.  Ours is likely worth 15 - 20 (kms and kids).....low km examples still seem to be advertised in the 30 - 40 range so purchase price would likely be close to your budget.  Due to the raked in roof line, from left to right and thick internal door fittings, there are definitely roomier 'squared off' designs on the market.  We have 3 kids in the back without complaint but you'd be uncomfortable with three adults across the back.

Interesting thanks.

I have thought about the volvos but I just don’t know anything apart from they have dedicated fans who rave about them.

I'm going to test drive a Kluger today just to see if I could be swayed to go Jap after 2 decades of Euro.  Toyota’s are pricey for what you get, but have friends who wouldn’t drive anything else.  Trying to listen and think rather than follow my dubious brand preferences.

Don't buy a 2014 Mazda CX9. Nothing wrong with the quality or reliability but some of the design features are stupid or downright dangerous.

I'm only keeping mine until my daughter gets her licence (it's a 7 seater and i'm the taxi for her and her friends ), not long to go now, then it's a diesel Cayenne for me.

Took a 2017 Kluger for a test drive before I bought the Mazda and it was ok but for me there were too many blind spots.

Oh and another thing don't buy the 2wd in either the CX9 or Kluger. You will regret it ( DAMHIK ).

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

I'm going to test drive a Kluger today just to see if I could be swayed to go Jap after 2 decades of Euro.  Toyota’s are pricey for what you get, but have friends who wouldn’t drive anything else.

Absolutely re pricing. We baulked at paying nearly 30k for a used car, but it ticked nearly every box for the missus' requirements for her job taking intellectually disabled clients out on day trips on a near daily basis, yet anything else just didn't feel 'right' to her. I'd definitley be looking at post 2014/15 cars in that price bracket. It'll be interesting to know what you think of them, so please let us know.

@3legs I wanted the CX Mazda, but she didnt, so there goes that idea! The Kluger blind spots were my and the missus' concern too, yet most of those types of vehicles we looked at have them with the small rear side windows, so you just have to deal with it. I woulda preferred a newer Territory to be honest, but they're plagued with problems throughout the years. I rarely drive the Kluger, so it doesn't bother me much and is a treat after driving a Hiace daily like mine with no side windows at all 😅 

We just got out of 25 years of Mazda Tribute to CX ownership - loved everyone of them.  Went in to buy the new CX9 and for the dollars (and not needing the 7 seats) the Volvo XC60 just drove so much better, so we made the switch.  I was partial to the Volvos after regularly using a mate's early XC90 (the one Clarkson used to rave about) - his was the diesel and for a 15 year old hackabout it always drove lovely.

Just about to have a service done on my 2013 V6TDI Touareg, that will make it 55,000 kms for me in 2 years out of the 103,000kms the car has done.  Only worth about $35k now, but I'm hugely impressed in this car!!!!  I know this is basically the same as a Cayenne / Q7, but value wise the VW eats them.  When I bought it I rationalised that I would get a twice as old, twice as many kms Cayenne for the similar price as the Touareg, and I didn't need to get another Porsche as there were already 3 in the garage at the time!!!

If you are looking at a family hauler with shitloads of room, I can't say enough good things about the Skoda Superb that we've had for the last 5 years.  It's very comfortable , has enormous passenger room & the boot is cavernous.  We regularly get 5L/ per 100k (diesel) around town & I've had only the odd rare small repair required.  This is one of the dieselgate engines so who knows how many hippies it's choked in it's 7 years of life.  It's been good to us. 

Skoda - DSG box?  I am off VWs for them - will only buy a torque converter equipped regular auto.

Drive the Kluger - impressed with the size.  Not fussed with the looks or the interior but whatever.  Drives nicely, not a patch on the disposed x5.  But I do like the atmo v6, slusher box and rudimentary suspension for longevity. But I wonder if Toyota resale only applies to cruisers and hiluxes.  

I did poke around the cx9s - couldn’t find one to test drive.  The new ones look very nice inside.  Can’t find a cayenne near by at this point either.  Lots of Hyundai’s about though - I guess they sell heaps of them.

I can recommend the Kluger. We have a 2016 model and to be honest I can't fault it at all. You are right they are a pretty big car but well thought out and easy to drive. We have fixed price servicing since new so it has been pretty good to run in terms of ongoing costs. 

46 minutes ago, SteveF said:

I can recommend the Kluger. We have a 2016 model and to be honest I can't fault it at all. You are right they are a pretty big car but well thought out and easy to drive. We have fixed price servicing since new so it has been pretty good to run in terms of ongoing costs. 

What's the fuel consumption like?

26 minutes ago, Jason E said:

What's the fuel consumption like?

I just had a look and since the last fuel fill up it is running at 13 L per 100km. This is all local driving. On the freeway I can get down as low as 7 or 8 L per 100km. 

I had a 2007 Kluger (GSU45R). I must drive heavier than the rest of you or at least shorter distances because my typical fuel was over 15L/100km. Highway was better.  

It was an ok car. Enough power and handled fine. But I found it expensive to service, heavy on brakes and tires and it broke down twice in the 8+ years I owned it (once with a punctured radiator and the other time with a failed alternator). 

It also developed a water leak into the rear passenger side footwell (not sunroof related) that I couldn’t get to the bottom of. 

I was glad to be rid of it when I sold it late last year. That said it sold easily, but I listed it low with a view to moving it quickly. I was bought by a dealer (pretending not to be one)

I didnt replace it with another Kluger for two reasons. First, I didn’t rate the ownership experience. And second the the middle row are now 60:40 split fold which meant not practical for surfboards and kids In the car for long trips

You could also think outside the box and look at a Mercedes Viano. They are absolutely brilliant. 3.0 V6 turbo diesel that is bulletproof, plenty of space, drives like a car, has plenty of power. I have one and everyone comments on how comfortable it is. Front and rear sunroof, heated leather seats, cruise, navigation, parking sensors and rear camera, etc etc etc

I use mine for work purposes, so most of the rear seats are out (currently a four seater) but takes minutes to convert it back to an 8 seater. As a 5 seater, you can put bicycles in the back without dismantling them!

oh, and Melbourne to Sydney on one tank is pretty good!

On 31/12/2020 at 11:25, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

We've put about 170000kms on our 2010 cayenne.  Had a suspected inlet manifold valve failure (turned out to be a mechanic who had left debris in there, blocking the operation of said valve so not car's fault), one cleaning required of egr/dpf chamber/filter (at approx 110000km) and one cardan shaft failure (at approx 160 000km).  Other than that, routine servicing.  Closing in on 200000kms and no squeaks or rattles yet.  No oil leaks, coolant leaks or other niggles.  3 litre turbo dirty diesel vw toureg twin.  It's getting on in years and kms but it still feels solid so not sure if time to upgrade or just keep driving.  Ours is likely worth 15 - 20 (kms and kids).....low km examples still seem to be advertised in the 30 - 40 range so purchase price would likely be close to your budget.  Due to the raked in roof line, from left to right and thick internal door fittings, there are definitely roomier 'squared off' designs on the market.  We have 3 kids in the back without complaint but you'd be uncomfortable with three adults across the back.

Good to hear, my good mate in the states was so happy with the road trips he'd done with me here in the Macan Turbo that he decided to look at Cayenne's, so he picked up a CPO'd 92A Diesel last year, we did a road trip from Kansas City to Lynchburg Tennessee hauling his big ass camper, that thing pulled like a freight train whilst keeping us 4 adults comfortable and returning good MPG... I did a shift too, I was impressed with that thing! So nice to know they go the distance (I expect no less)

@Coastr The X5 is pretty damn tough yard stick to beat IMO, I loved my old E53 diesel.. its the yard stick for all other SUV's to me! I find Porsche running costs lower than BMW mind you.. 

A week has gone past and I haven’t done jack except run a few lazy searches.  Seems to be not much around or maybe that’s just the way things are now.

The requirements have expanded to7 seats which narrows the field somewhat.  Can’t see any 7 seat x5s I guess not many people went for that.  The Volvo idea has me intrigued, going to do a search.  Do Cayennes come with 7 seats?

I don’t think I’ve even seen a seven seat Cayenne ? If I was looking for a seven seat 4WD I’d be thinking GL class Benz or Landcruiser. Volvo also a nice option but not known for towing anything of any size (if that’s a requirement?). I’ve owned one of each over the years & while I loved my Cayenne, I currently drive a Benz which has been much more reliable. I do some heavy outback towing from time to time & always hire a landcruiser....ha ha....good luck with the search.....

What went wrong with the cayenne?  I have been thinking about benzes.

Not towing anything ... when the boat finally arrives there will be an oversized f-truck that can pull a house down if the urge ever arises to tow. 

• 3 weeks later...

Closing out thread.

Kia Sorrento deposit placed and hopefully pick up this weekend.

Can't beat fixed price service, nearly 4 years remaining factory warranty and to be frank, a pretty good driving experience. Not a dragster but gets along and always wanted a car with radar cruise.  Plus the family can beat on it and I won't care because I have my cars to fuss over.  Looked at Mazdas which are a better looking car and nicer engine with the turbo, but interior is a tighter fit to get that sexy roofline, and I wanted something with rails on the roof instead of fixed mounts for racks.

Found an X5 that I liked - older but low miles and dealer was offering BMW used warranty on it, was the right color and had m-sport options.  But alas 5 seats so no bueno.

Talked to a few people about Klugers - everyone said same thing- thirsty. That and measured the garage and was going to be a tight fit, especially with a tow bar fitted (not a huge thing, but lots of klugers have tow installed).   Plus they also don't have roof rails.

Never did find a Cayenne suitable, but after 7 seats became a requirement they were out anyway.