Macan - opinions sought

I'm looking at upgrading the family Subaru Outback to a Macan. My wife is a little hesitant because the Outback is just a great car - her opinion and mine. So I'd love to hear from anyone who did a similar upgrade. Also interested in the wheel choices and other add-ons you think are "must haves". I'm looking at the Macan S, which comes with 20" wheels, but I'm wondering about the ride quality - and whether downgrading to 19's would make an appreciable difference to the ride?

Cheers,

1 hour ago, pocketscience said:

I'm looking at upgrading the family Subaru Outback to a Macan. My wife is a little hesitant because the Outback is just a great car - her opinion and mine. So I'd love to hear from anyone who did a similar upgrade. Also interested in the wheel choices and other add-ons you think are "must haves". I'm looking at the Macan S, which comes with 20" wheels, but I'm wondering about the ride quality - and whether downgrading to 19's would make an appreciable difference to the ride?

Cheers,

I recently changed from our 2006 ML500 to a 2016 Macan S  petrol. My wife and I both love it. I will say that it is very stiffly sprung, so on very bumpy country roads it is not as cushy as the ML, but the handling is light years better. Mine does have the 20"s and my ML had 18"s with a much bigger sidewall which may account for some of it. I find that I generally drive around with the dampers one step firmer. 

I will say that the Macan is at least as quick as my 996 and the PDK in Sport Plus is amazing. When I am on my favourite twisty road I could not select gears better manually than it does.

We have a 2019 Macan S wife went nuts and ordered virtually all options on the configurator, 50K in options could have bought a Cayenne S with the final price. First time ordering a new car so she decided to have a party. Last 20 years were company cars for her. Options I would go for Sports Plus. air suspension (makes the ride a bit more cushy), entry drive, lane departure, roof rails (just in case you want roof racks in the future for a storage box to complement the small boot), you know the usual stuff most other car companies include in their base package. 20" wheels are fine and we have taken this thing everywhere when we are going anywhere as a family. Girls had a sailing regatta at Lake Boga over the long weekend comfortable and a pleasure to drive 4+ hours non stop.

I’m +1 on this as well. Wife has a 2017 S and would lose an arm before she gave it up! Agree with @MFX in terms of ride and performance. We’re on the 19’s which makes it more compliant. I wouldn’t want 20’s to be honest. As to other options, nothing special for us. Has the easy entry/keyless start which is handy, roof rails very handy along with roof racks (easy on and off), rubber moulded tray in rear to catch mud and water, and creature comfort of heated seats! If I had my choice again I’d also fit a tow bar. 
Upgraded model PCM set up is also brilliant. 

I'm at nearly 5 years of ownership on my 2016 [MY17] Turbo... couldn't recommend one more! 

Air suspension is a must have IMO, especially if you're going to tow with it (I tow with mine, so ordered it with factory hitch)... I am with you on the wheel diameter choice, I knew I would be doing lots of roads trips and some off-road work, so stuck with the 20" wheels (most turbo builds opt the 21's) I don't think going down to a 19' wheel is a bad move either, but the 20's are perfectly fine blend of comfort and performance. 

If buying used, I think its worth looking for the MY17 and up as they got the new PCM 4.0 and more standard equipment, also find one with warranty as that is super valuable if buying pre-owned. 

Common issues in my experience with the given vintage (both 3.0 & 3.6L) are:

• Timing case seals leak - there is a fix, dealer does this remedial under warranty 
  • Diff bushes - the wear prematurely (again warranty) 
  • Transfer case - more specifically centre diff can be an issue on low mile around town driven cars (my dad had one done on his GTS, as did another member here) 

Those are really the big ones ^ 

As for options, that is so personal.. but the big ones for me: Air Suspension, factory hitch, ventilated + heated seats 

Here is my love letter to the Porsche Macan! 

IMG_0845.thumb.jpg.65c64420b6506c196fe35a587e82b381.jpg

IMG_2508.thumb.JPG.dd462afa7fab403874f76a56269cf462.JPG

IMG_2492.thumb.jpg.4769a34dd58b9a628cb203787b3fde8e.jpg

IMG_2506.thumb.JPG.ba0bd7dddb2f8447740eabb47027bf64.JPG

381840393_IMG_29722.thumb.jpg.6ea18d0f205f5d5fbbb6912e40a8775b.jpg

IMG_3001.thumb.jpg.c0256c776377211aca22d98605932ab6.jpg

BEFD57AF-4FC8-4671-B89E-F776E454B6EF.thumb.JPG.ab1d3c5c133550becc0927a9b1e0883b.JPG

Hi Gavin,

I'd love a Macan but settled on the SQ5 with the 3.0 TFSI motor. It does everything we need just back from a couple of thousand K's north and west, tows beautifully and my understanding is its pretty much the same underpinnings as the Macan, the only option I'd probably stump for next time is the air suspension.

IMG_1712.jpg

Macan S petrol - +1 on the air susp.  Also the 19s are an improvement for non freeway driving in OZ.  19s have been obtainable for circa $1000 in pristine condition on ebay/gumtree in the past.  Would be difficult to prise it out of my wife's clutches... 

Drove a new 2L a while ago.  Goes ok but a bit harsh and thrashy.  The 3L turbo is a peach and if you need more grunt you can always get a COBB tuner for 2 or 3 grand and be quicker than a turbo 😁

On 09/04/2021 at 10:43, edgy said:

• Transfer case - more specifically centre diff can be an issue on low mile around town driven cars (my dad had one done on his GTS, as did another member here) 

As a note. The Cayennes had the same transfer case issue. @TrevMcRev had the issue with his and I experienced it as a passenger. It felt like a very nasty mechanical issue as a very nasty shudder/clunk. I thought it must have been an expensive issue, but he just replaced the 'lifetime' oil in the transfer case with the correct new stuff from Porsche and the problem completely disappeared. 

I will also note. Mine has the massive stupid sunroof and it is apparently prone to leaking. Mine sat in that week of torrential rain a couple of weeks ago and I could have kept Koi in the footwells 🤬

On 09/04/2021 at 10:43, edgy said:

Air suspension is a must have IMO, especially if you're going to tow with it (I tow with mine, so ordered it with factory hitch)...

I also bought mine as my new tow car, so it is good to hear it does the job nicely. I kind of wish I had the air suspension, but I am pretty scarred from blown air shocks in the Merc. They seemed to die semi regularly, so I hope the Macan ones are better. 

On 10/04/2021 at 21:37, MFX said:

I will also note. Mine has the massive stupid sunroof and it is apparently prone to leaking. Mine sat in that week of torrential rain a couple of weeks ago and I could have kept Koi in the footwells 🤬

All the more reason to rock the sunroof delete! 

I also bought mine as my new tow car, so it is good to hear it does the job nicely. I kind of wish I had the air suspension, but I am pretty scarred from blown air shocks in the Merc. They seemed to die semi regularly, so I hope the Macan ones are better. 

Rightfully so... the MB systems are fraught with danger in my experience. 

Macan has been solid, I plan on keeping it warrantied as long as I own it or can extend it... its cheap insurance at the end of the day.

28 minutes ago, pocketscience said:

Great feedback folks. Interesting re the sunroof. I would have thought in this day leaks from new sunroofs would be a non-issue. We've never had any issues with our Outback sunroof leaking.. so I was leaning towards getting the sunroof on the Macan...

My 2013 Touareg has the full panoramic roof (not my choice, we purchased car pre-owned), which I imagine would be close to identical to the unit in the Macan, and I've never had a leak.  I'd be interested to hear what the issues are???

I have been told that the drains need regularly blowing out. I blew them out after the rains, but to be honest they looked pretty clean to me. I spent a week drying the car out again and there hasn't been much rain yet to see if it still leaks or not. It was also leaning a bit on my driveway so it could have been the odd angle it was sitting and the massive amount of rain. It definitely took the shine off of the new car (to me) experience.

• 2 weeks later...

As a note. The Cayennes had the same transfer case issue. @TrevMcRev had the issue with his and I experienced it as a passenger. It felt like a very nasty mechanical issue as a very nasty shudder/clunk. I thought it must have been an expensive issue, but he just replaced the 'lifetime' oil in the transfer case with the correct new stuff from Porsche and the problem completely disappeared. 

The fluid that fixes the transfer case was Ravenol brand, not Porsche.  But yes completely solved the issue. It should be a 20,000-50,000klm service item imo.

Just to add to this, I have a Macan S diesel. I know it’s kinda not really a Porsche... the engine is torquey and it’s still a quick car. I love it! I absolutely use the panoramic roof and heated seats. Mine’s on 20s and ride is fine. For me it’s a great all round car and would highly recommend 

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late to the party here, just found the thread.

I just took delivery of my new Macan S and absolutely love it.  Went out for milk the other day and I got home 2 hours later 😂

We had a Subaru Forester for 6+ years and whilst they are a great car they’re not a patch on the Macan. The Macan replaced an Audi Q5 and again, the Macan is a big step up.

We didn’t opt for the sunroof.  Wife’s car has one and we never use it. More of a personal choice rather than a must have/not have accessory.

One option I didn’t pick that I now would have liked is the Sports chrono package, just because it’d be fun 😃

Opted for the 21” rims, more for the aesthetics than anything else.  Adaptive cruise for me was a must have, makes the motorway driving a lot easier. 

Hope this is helpful, good luck on your decision.

cheers

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok I’m back looking into getting the Macan. Almost sorted but wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the following options:

1. Load space management system. Worth it? Looks obtrusive in configurator, but sounds useful if carrying gear regularly. Is the reversible mat rubber one side and carpet the other?

2. Homelink. I assume it’s a learning system so should work with any recent garage/gate RF controller?

Cheers,

1 hour ago, pocketscience said:

2. Homelink. I assume it’s a learning system so should work with any recent garage/gate RF controller?

Check this carefully.  I understand there are different frequencies used in Europe than Oz.  I have this "feature" in my Toerag, but it isn;t hooked up....

5 hours ago, pocketscience said:

Different frequency in Europe … you need an add on receiver here on 95% of systems. Do a quick google it comes up with the fix.

• 1 month later...